My iPhone has no service please help

gamedude9742

Bronze
Feb 27, 2008
USA
once again my iPhone v1 has crapped out and dosnt have service. It did this before because of tower upgrades or some bs excuse ATT gave me. Now its happening again about a month later. I love this phone but honestly its a pain in the *** sometimes... anyone got any tips or ways to fix it? i tried turn off/on.... the reset by holding both buttons.... removing sim card while phone is off and on.... ive hit it lmao idk what else to try... thanks in advance

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
once again my iPhone v1 has crapped out and dosnt have service. It did this before because of tower upgrades or some bs excuse ATT gave me. Now its happening again about a month later. I love this phone but honestly its a pain in the *** sometimes... anyone got any tips or ways to fix it? i tried turn off/on.... the reset by holding both buttons.... removing sim card while phone is off and on.... ive hit it lmao idk what else to try... thanks in advance
Have you tried restoring via iTunes? Mark

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
First, how old is the phone? if you are still inside of your first year, I recommend 2 things. 1) get Apple care as fast as possible before your first year owning it is up.
2) take it to Apple. If it is jailbroken, restore it before even making the appointment.

Did your phone ever get Hot? I mean more than just "operational warm", but Wow this is getting a bit too much Hot! ( not enough to burn you but enough to cause concern.) If it did, go into settings and verify if your Wifi and Bluetooth are working. If they are, good. That means that you didn't burn out the communications board like mine did.
If they are grayed out, then there is a problem that Apple has to fix. If you are inside the warranty, they will simply swap you out with another one. Outside your warranty and... it's much cheaper to buy a new phone.
250 for most repairs vs. 199 for new 3G.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
does it text? does it allow a 911 call? have you moved with your iPhone in a car to check service in different locations? when was the last time u had service? what model? assuming you have your bill up to date of course..can you hit wifi?
just some thoughts..good luck!

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Could be a sim card issue. I had a similar issue where I would get no service in random places. I went to an ATT store and they swapped out the sim. Haven't had an issue since.

gamedude9742

Bronze
Feb 27, 2008
USA
ok it the V1 iPhone i got it when it first came out, the phone has working WIFI and it does have service in some places but every close to me (my town and neighboring ones) it wont work for crap. Umm i talked to an ATT guy today and he said they took down a tower for a new one so that might be the reason but also said that it might be my phone and i might need a new sim.... so ill look into the new sim and it has gotten rather warm but if wifi works then im sure its not that...
ps ive heard stories that if the back dents or gets to hot sometimes it will move a tiny bit and touch the antenna inside the iPhone causing it to short out.. which i assume means i would get no signal? im not sure if anyone knows about that.. posibility or not?
i have no clue... god when it works it works great like a charm.. but when it dosnt god theres no way around it lol

louee6

Mar 10, 2008
Miami
Regarding No Service...

Could be a simcard issue! My phone did this a few times but came back to life after a few sim pulls and resets. It then took a no service issue that drove me absolutely crazy that a sim pull or soft and hard reset couldn't fix. I then went to my provider and they issued me another simcard and VOILA, I was back in businesss. Also, what version are you running? Is iTunes recognizing your phone?

gamedude9742

Bronze
Feb 27, 2008
USA
im running the newest version 2.1 and iTunes is 8.1? what ever the newest is. and yes iTunes can detect it