My iPhone is now a "hand-me-down" for my GF

SF_VR6

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
What do I need to do to transfer my info/number onto the iPhone 2.0 coming out this month? Is it as simple as just changing the sim card?

Do I need to contact my service provider? :laugh2:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If your using AT&T, im pretty sure all you would need to do is put it your sim card into the new one and sync it with your computer to get all your music and pictures, etc in the new phone. And if your not using AT&T your other service providers sim card wont work.

SF_VR6

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
If your using AT&T, im pretty sure all you would need to do is put it your sim card into the new one and sync it with your computer to get all your music and pictures, etc in the new phone. And if your not using AT&T your other service providers sim card wont work.
My GF and I are both on one Family plan under one account. Looks like it's pretty straight forward then. But what about her non-iphone sim card. She's got a Blackjack right now. Her Sim should work fine in my iPhone right?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yeah...hers will work fine. Just first, turn off your iPhone that your giving to her, then put her sim card in it, then put it in restore mode and restore with iTunes. I think that should work in case there are any issues with the phone saying thats not the correct sim card that came with the iPhone...but if that doesn't work and you still get that message...I have no clue what to tell ya...

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
make sure that you add the "iPhone plan" to her sim so that you don't get charged for the data per use..... not sure that the blackjack and iPhone data plans are the same....

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
make sure that you add the "iPhone plan" to her sim so that you don't get charged for the data per use..... not sure that the blackjack and iPhone data plans are the same....
I don't think you will get charged even if it isn't a correct data plan...however you wont get certain features like visual voicemail or youtube. Im currently using my iPhone with a BlackBerry Plan and internet works fine and ive done this many many times before and have never gotten overcharged and the internet still works. Ive also used a BlackBerry and a BlackJack on an iPhone plan and I never got overcharged but with the blackberry, the blackberry messenger and email didn't work, and the internet didn't work on the blackjack.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if it's anything like iPhone1, all you should have to do is activate your new iPhone and ATT will switch the phone number. Then activate the old iPhone with your GF's phone number. during each activation process, you will get your iPhone data and text plans straightened out. Should take all of 10 minutes.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
The easiest way for me to upgrade to the 3G without catching too much grief from my wife is to simply give her my iPhone when I upgrade. Then everyone's happy. :D

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The easiest way for me to upgrade to the 3G without catching too much grief from my wife is to simply give her my iPhone when I upgrade. Then everyone's happy. :D
We all know that when the wife is happy, the whole family is happy.:)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
My GF and I are both on one Family plan under one account. Looks like it's pretty straight forward then. But what about her non-iphone sim card. She's got a Blackjack right now. Her Sim should work fine in my iPhone right?
no it won't. you'll first have to add an iPhone account to her number. AT&T may even want to provide her with a new sim before you set up the new account. you'll do it all through iTunes.