My iPhone kept some j/b mods

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Hondamaker, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I decided to update my phone and lose my jailbreak for a bit. After updating to 8.3, I noticed I still retained a couple of tweaks. 'Hey Siri' still works with the phone unplugged from power, and TetherMe is still working. I love it!

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm sad to see you leave the jailbreak scene for possibly a while before a jailbreak is released again, but that's awesome a few tweaks somehow magically stayed. (y)

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You restored from backup, didn't you?

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Magic. Hah.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I look at it as magic. When I restore I always use backup. I've never had jailbreak tweaks etc get put back on phone though.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's happened to me.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not magic. Restoring from backup isn't the only possibility here. They probably weren't even removed from his phone in the first place. He might have just hit the update button in iTunes. If you don't restore to factory, there will be traces of the jailbreak. This isn't always a bad thing. I typically just press the update button and don't bother restoring at all. I just disable or uninstall everything in Cydia first. Unless you are having problems or taking it in to Apple, restoring to factory is optional.

8. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I did.

9. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

The two tweaks that remained were two of my favorites, so I'm happy.

10. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I always first update via iTunes. Than I'll hit restore from backup after its back at stock.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just do a regular update in iTunes. It's easiest. I don't see a point in restoring and then applying the backup when you can just update and have the same results. I only restore if I'm having any problems, in which case I restore to factory settings. Restoring from backup will put traces of the jailbreak back on it just as they will be left there if you just update. That's just my method, most people still restore.

12. EverythingApple

Gold

It's been awhile since I did this. Maybe that's what I do. I can't remember.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that I uninstall my jailbreak tweaks before updating. That way they won't can't cause any problems later, stay applied on a stock device or take up space needlessly. You won't regain all of the free space from jailbreak files unless you do a full restore, but I've found that it's a minimal amount that's tied up with this method and I don't really care since I'm never pressed for space on my iPhones. I only install ten or fifteen things in Cydia, so uninstalling them only takes a few minutes.

14. EverythingApple

Gold

Never thought about that. I'll make sure I do that. I never thought jailbreak tweaks might remain after an update or restore.