My iPhone shows 'No Service' about once a day

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JimW

Jul 5, 2007
Since I used my iPhone on 6/30, it has 'no service' about once a day. I have to power it off and power it on, then i can find AT&T again.

I thought once a mobile phone is dropped from service, it should recover by itself automatically without having to turn it off/on.

Any one has the similar experience?

bizzy045

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Since I used my iPhone on 6/30, it has 'no service' about once a day. I have to power it off and power it on, then i can find AT&T again.

I thought once a mobile phone is dropped from service, it should recover by itself automatically without having to turn it off/on.

this has happened to me a few times also...anyone know why this happens?

mrmacbook

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

I only had this happen once. I was near / in a hospital, so I didn't expect to get a signal. My dad got a signal on his $15 tracfone, I was pissed.

I turned it off and back on while we were driving away from the hopsital, and it worked fine.

Schrocker

Jul 7, 2007
West Coast
Another case of "no service"

Well, my iPhone started showing the "no service" message last night. And it's been testy for about the last 12 hours now. I've had about 50% success rate of getting it to detect AT&T when I power down completely. I called AT&T and they clarified that they are responsible for the voicemail on the phone working -- which is up and running all the while that the "no service" message is showing. Apple is responsible for how the rest of the equipment operates. We have another iPhone in the house which is working JUST FINE so am inclined to think that the equipment from Apple is a "lemon." Another thing I noticed when the "no service" thing started happening is that the battery really started draining down quickly. Hmmm :eek:

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
I know someone who had the same problem, its an easy fix. The sim card has a bad connection. Turn off your phone. (hold the sleep button for a few seconds, slide to turn off) push a standard paper clip in the tiny hole on the top of the phone. take out the tray and brush off the sim card, the copper should have scrap marks. Reposition the sim car and tray, turn the phone back on by holding the wake button for a few seconds. Do it again if it still acts up. It works.

Schrocker

Jul 7, 2007
West Coast
Good Advise...but didn't work for me : (

Okay, I powered off. Took out the SIM, wiped it off, replaced. Turned back on. Got a very weak signal and then "No Service." Didn't give up. Tried it again. And again. 10 times. Still no luck. I think I have a bad SIM port inside the device. It reads that the SIM is there but won't give me service. The WiFi and all other features are working. And oddly enough, the phone shows that I've received two calls which went to Voicemail. But no way to retrieve them from the phone as it won't dial out with "no service" showing where the bars should be. What a bummer.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY

i think it might be a normal thing. my phone goes in and out of service. it does not say no service but all the signal bars drop off and then come back in a few seconds. tmobile used to do the same. i think its like refreshing itself on the network. it might as well be a sim card problem too.

typer922

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
I had a similar problem last night for the first and only time. I had a full signal and E lit up but the phone would not make any calls. It just said connecting and wouldn't ever connect. And whenever I tried to use Edge applications the E would immediately go away and then come right back on when I went back to the Home screen. I turned off the phone (for the first time since iDay) and back on and haven't had any problens since.

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
I don't think its a normal thing. mine never said "no service" since i got it activated. If taking out the sim card didn't work. maybe your in an area that has has a signal blocking device to prevent you from using your cell, like some hospitals and certain businessses. or a bad phone.

Schrocker

Jul 7, 2007
West Coast
Another clue on the "no service" issue...

Here's some more info...

After reading elsewhere on the boards here that the iPhone SIM card would still work with another phone, (I'm a prior Cingular Customer with a Motorola SLVR -- first edition) I went ahead and popped the SIM out of my iPhone. And popped it into the SLVR. Wah-la. Full bars popped up on the SLVR and I can dial out. And I even received a SMS from a friend when I turned the SLVR on! No doubt at this point that I have a iPhone device with a faulty SIM port. (BTW PPL - this is the second SIM card for me...so I'm pretty well convinced it's Apple equipment and not the AT&T network or the SIM. All the troubleshooting points to the same thing.) And remember, we're a dual iPhone home...with the other device working flawlessly on all fronts.

Looks like I'm on my way back to the Apple Store to return the iPhone. Time has not expired for me to return the equipment and NO WAY am I gonna get in line for a repair. I'll let APPLE study the little "guinea pig" device they made on their own time--and hopefully they'll fix the issue before it starts showing up everywhere and causing a lot of people to abandon using the device.

On the bright side... it's great to know the iPhone SIM will work with my SLVR. The old phone has worked great since I got it and it'll be great to hold on to it and use it as a back up!

:cool:

Jul 1, 2007
Corona, California
I'm glad I found this post. I have been having the same 'No Service' issues at least once or twice a day for the last week. I would power it off and power it back on and it would find the network again. But then this morning, it said 'No SIM card installed'. So I tried powering off and on several times, but it still said 'No SIM card installed." And then this last time after powering off and on, I got a "Invalid SIM" message displayed where I would usually see "AT&T". I'm going to try the suggestion of removing the SIM and cleaning it off to see if that fixes it. So stay tuned...

rj5620

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
Don't give up too soon.

Got phone #4 today and so far It has not gone into the "no sevrvice...needs repair" mode again.

History since iDAY

Phone 1: External speaker will not work, phone sluggish, poor cell phone service and or no service. Sound only with ear buds.

Phone 2: Itentical to phone 1 ( I checked they were not the same iPhone)

Sim card #2 (Thinking sim was problem)

Phone 3: Gizmo part of iPhone is terrific, bad to no cell phone service, drops calls, no service and repair message, will not refresh to network after the no service message, a nightmare, I feel like all I have is a gizmo without a cell phone.

Phone 4: So far so good.

Note: in all of this Apple and ATT have been great to me and I jutt want my iPhone!

Jul 1, 2007
Corona, California
OK, I was able to pop out the SIM, took the SIM Card out of the actual tray, cleaned it off, then popped it back in... and I got my network back! So it looks like this did the trick for me. Now, I'll see if I still get the 'No Service' messages. Thanks for tip!

Schrocker

Jul 7, 2007
West Coast
got rid of that puppy... and sure glad I did

Well, guess I'm having a little better luck than some others. :sick:

My first iPhone is down. Returned to Apple Store.

On iPhone #2. Activated quickly and so far so good. We'll see if it lasts...

Apple is now posting a list of "Troubleshooting" tips for iPhone on their support page. Definitely not easy to find w/out digging on the Apple website.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305689

One of the "troubleshooting tips" listed on the page deals specifically with the "no service" issue. So "no service" is probably a more common issue than we'd all like to think. (along with the other things they're listing -- which is worth checking out)

iPhone is just a typical Apple first run product in regards to tech issues. Some of us have been down this road before with Apple...sometimes you get more than you bargain for on the new products. Really didn't expect iPhone to be any different. With some good luck it all works out. :)