My iPhone Software Thoughts...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

noahlh

Jul 5, 2007
Hey folks -- just joined the forum today and looks good. Looking forward to a happy & healthy "power user" relationship with the iPhone and ya'll ;)

For no particular reason other than my desire to put my thoughts in one place (perhaps in the hope that someone from Apple reads them and incorporates them), here are my thoughts on the iPhone after using it for the past week:

My background: I'm a techno-nerd, power-user, whatever you want to call it. I'm 29, run my own businesss, and am a big fan of the PDA functionality (as opposed to the music/video stuff.) Never owned an iPod until now. Switched over from a Treo 650 which I've had for the past 2 years.

With that said...my thoughts:

Hardware:

-- Hardware is nearly perfect (hence my posting this in the software forum). Only thing I miss from my Treo is an LED of some sort. I was expecting Apple to put some kinda glowing/heartbeat white or blue LED on the iPhone and was surprised to find none. It's incredibly useful to know when you've got service, and on my Treo it would blink rapidly when I had new email. It's nice to be able to look at your phone and know whether you've got voicemail/email/SMS without having to physically turn it on.

Software:

-- The email app needs work. I've been running ChatterEmail on my Treo for the past few years and that is a serious, serious program. It's significantly more advanced/functional than Blackberry, the gold standard for corporate email. The mail program on the iPhone is about 5 years less advanced than even an older version of Chatter, and I miss it. But I'm sure it will get better. Specific things I miss include

o The ability to send from multiple 'personalities' (i.e. I pick which email address/signature my message comes from when I click send. That way I can send some messages from my personal account with no signature and others from my businesss account with my company signature)

o Support for the IMAP IDLE command. This is the (more) standard way to enable real-time push email. Nearly every major IMAP provider supports this, and with my Treo messages arrived _instantly_ (WAY faster than any of my friends with Crackberries). Having to do an every-15-minute check or, more likely, sitting there and pressing refresh on the iPhone is a major step backwards. And using Yahoo is a no-go, as I cannot change the "from" address.

o Improved IMAP folder support - For some reason I can't seem to get folders working beyond the Inbox on any of my IMAP accounts. I keep/file messages in a bunch of folders, and it'd be nice to be able to access those.

o Improved multi-account support - I'd like to be able to have multiple email accounts configured, but only be notified when a particular one gets a new message. This way I can, for example, have my old college email address and all its glorious spam get sent to one folder and never bug me unless I'm bored, and have my important day-to-day businesss email go to a different account and ping me when new messages arrive.

o Auto-purge when deleted - I like to read emails on my phone then go home and download all the messages via POP into Outlook (maybe I'm just a creature of habit and I should be using IMAP instead, but whatever...). On my Treo there was a setting to auto-purge emails when deleted on the server. On iPhone the most immediate setting is "purge daily" -- which doesn't cut it. So now when I go through 100 emails on my phone and delete the ones I don't need/am done with, I get home that night to sync up my Outlook and all the messages I already deleted are downloaded, so I need to sift through them again. Alls we need is an "instant purge" option.

-- To-do list app (!) I still can't believe this is missing. It was probably the second-most-used app on my Treo (next to the email app). Nothing fancy needed -- just a way to sync my Tasks with Outlook, mark them as completed, in-progress or not started and review a day, week or month's worth of tasks. I love being able to go on a road trip and plow through tasks while in the car - check, check, check. Please give this to me Apple (or at least let someone else do it!)

-- Speaking of that, 3rd-party app support would be nice. I won't harp on this one because I'm sure lots of people are discussing it and Apple has their reasons for not allowing it (yet?), but let developers be developers and write apps for the phone! I'm sure there will be some amazing stuff if this happens.

-- Cut-and-Paste, Highlighting/Selecting Text. Not much to say here either as I'm sure it's a known issue and others have talked about it, but it's hugely frustrating to have to sit and hold the delete/backspace key when I want to delete a block of text.

-- Copy # to Clipboard - when SMS'ing someone a phone number or writing an email, it'd be nice to be able to copy a phone number from the contacts list and paste it into the message. I have to do this quite often and the Treo let me do this.

-- Sync 'notes' -- again I'm sure this is a known issue, but I'd like to be able to sync the Notes on iPhone with the Notes in Outlook. I keep a bunch of important stuff there (frequent flyer numbers, company EINs, bank account #s, etc.) and it seems silly that I have to go an re-enter everything in iPhone by hand.

-- Volume boost -- Even at max volume, the ringers are very very quiet and I find I don't hear the phone when it's in my pocket. A little bit 'o boost would be nice.

Things I don't really care about but I'm sure others do:

-- Video recording. It's a gimmick to me. The camera phone is nice and I don't really need to shoot low-quality grainy low-framerate video on my phone. But it would definitely help the user community to be able to directly upload to YouTube from the phone...

-- IM/iChat. I find instant messaging a huge time-waster and very interruptive, but I know I'm in the minority here, so people will be very happy when this gets released. Just don't put this higher on the priority list than a task list! ;)

-- Customize ringtones -- It'd be nice to be able to add custom ringtones directly from MP3 files. This is nowhere close to a high-priority item, but a fun add-on.

I think that's it for now. What I'm mostly psyched about (and why I'm not returning it despite the downgraded functionality) is that this phone is more a platform than the end-all-be-all. It's an OSX box, and every single thing I'm disappointed with can be fixed with some software updates. Ahh to be on the bleeding edge...;)

Anyway, would always appreciate others' thoughts on my rambling...

--Noah

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hey folks -- just joined the forum today and looks good. Looking forward to a happy & healthy "power user" relationship with the iPhone and ya'll ;)

For no particular reason other than my desire to put my thoughts in one place (perhaps in the hope that someone from Apple reads them and incorporates them), here are my thoughts on the iPhone after using it for the past week:

My background: I'm a techno-nerd, power-user, whatever you want to call it. I'm 29, run my own businesss, and am a big fan of the PDA functionality (as opposed to the music/video stuff.) Never owned an iPod until now. Switched over from a Treo 650 which I've had for the past 2 years.

Hardware:

-- Hardware is nearly perfect (hence my posting this in the software forum). Only thing I miss from my Treo is an LED of some sort. I was expecting Apple to put some kinda glowing/heartbeat white or blue LED on the iPhone and was surprised to find none. It's incredibly useful to know when you've got service, and on my Treo it would blink rapidly when I had new email. It's nice to be able to look at your phone and know whether you've got voicemail/email/SMS without having to physically turn it on.

Software:

-- The email app needs work. I've been running ChatterEmail on my Treo for the past few years and that is a serious, serious program. It's significantly more advanced/functional than Blackberry, the gold standard for corporate email. The mail program on the iPhone is about 5 years less advanced than even an older version of Chatter, and I miss it. But I'm sure it will get better. Specific things I miss include

o The ability to send from multiple 'personalities' (i.e. I pick which email address/signature my message comes from when I click send. That way I can send some messages from my personal account with no signature and others from my businesss account with my company signature)

o Support for the IMAP IDLE command. This is the (more) standard way to enable real-time push email. Nearly every major IMAP provider supports this, and with my Treo messages arrived _instantly_ (WAY faster than any of my friends with Crackberries). Having to do an every-15-minute check or, more likely, sitting there and pressing refresh on the iPhone is a major step backwards. And using Yahoo is a no-go, as I cannot change the "from" address.

o Improved IMAP folder support - For some reason I can't seem to get folders working beyond the Inbox on any of my IMAP accounts. I keep/file messages in a bunch of folders, and it'd be nice to be able to access those.

o Improved multi-account support - I'd like to be able to have multiple email accounts configured, but only be notified when a particular one gets a new message. This way I can, for example, have my old college email address and all its glorious spam get sent to one folder and never bug me unless I'm bored, and have my important day-to-day businesss email go to a different account and ping me when new messages arrive.

o Auto-purge when deleted - I like to read emails on my phone then go home and download all the messages via POP into Outlook (maybe I'm just a creature of habit and I should be using IMAP instead, but whatever...). On my Treo there was a setting to auto-purge emails when deleted on the server. On iPhone the most immediate setting is "purge daily" -- which doesn't cut it. So now when I go through 100 emails on my phone and delete the ones I don't need/am done with, I get home that night to sync up my Outlook and all the messages I already deleted are downloaded, so I need to sift through them again. Alls we need is an "instant purge" option.

-- To-do list app (!) I still can't believe this is missing. It was probably the second-most-used app on my Treo (next to the email app). Nothing fancy needed -- just a way to sync my Tasks with Outlook, mark them as completed, in-progress or not started and review a day, week or month's worth of tasks. I love being able to go on a road trip and plow through tasks while in the car - check, check, check. Please give this to me Apple (or at least let someone else do it!)

-- Speaking of that, 3rd-party app support would be nice. I won't harp on this one because I'm sure lots of people are discussing it and Apple has their reasons for not allowing it (yet?), but let developers be developers and write apps for the phone! I'm sure there will be some amazing stuff if this happens.

-- Cut-and-Paste, Highlighting/Selecting Text. Not much to say here either as I'm sure it's a known issue and others have talked about it, but it's hugely frustrating to have to sit and hold the delete/backspace key when I want to delete a block of text.

-- Copy # to Clipboard - when SMS'ing someone a phone number or writing an email, it'd be nice to be able to copy a phone number from the contacts list and paste it into the message. I have to do this quite often and the Treo let me do this.

-- Sync 'notes' -- again I'm sure this is a known issue, but I'd like to be able to sync the Notes on iPhone with the Notes in Outlook. I keep a bunch of important stuff there (frequent flyer numbers, company EINs, bank account #s, etc.) and it seems silly that I have to go an re-enter everything in iPhone by hand.

-- Video recording. It's a gimmick to me. The camera phone is nice and I don't really need to shoot low-quality grainy low-framerate video on my phone. But it would definitely help the user community to be able to directly upload to YouTube from the phone...

-- IM/iChat. I find instant messaging a huge time-waster and very interruptive, but I know I'm in the minority here, so people will be very happy when this gets released. Just don't put this higher on the priority list than a task list! ;)

I think that's it for now. What I'm mostly psyched about (and why I'm not returning it despite the downgraded functionality) is that this phone is more a platform than the end-all-be-all. It's an OSX box, and every single thing I'm disappointed with can be fixed with some software updates. Ahh to be on the bleeding edge...;)

--Noah
Good write up! Feel free to copy and paste over in the iPhone reviews section.

-Chris

Last edited:

scubus

Jul 4, 2007

Hardware:

I agree. I want an glowing eye to match my PowerBook. Minor quibble, but I want it!

Software:

I think I know what you mean, but just to clarify, you can send email from multiple personalities. I haven't checked the signature but I believe this is personality independent. That is an issue as my personal signature is not exactly professional...

I understand the need for some to have instant access to email, but I can think of no reason outside of businesss application this is necessary, and I suspect Apple hoped to ease some wear and tear on the .Mac servers and keep the focus on consumer use at least the first go-'round. You can't get a businesss account with an iPhone, for example.

Hmm... unless I misunderstand you, you do have access to your various IMAP folders. At least I do.

Agreed.

I would really like to see the intelligent email filter that is present on desktop Mail app. Also like the desktop cousin, I'd like a single Inbox view rather than having to go into, and then back out of, each account when I receive multiple emails across accounts.

Why can't I sync my iCal to do's? Short of that, I would like a dedicated To-Do list.

This one irritates me several times a day.

I suspect there is going to be a desktop companion to the notes widget. At least I hope there will be... I wonder what is going on with iWork development?

-- Volume boost -- Even at max volume, the ringers are very very quiet and I find I don't hear the phone when it's in my pocket. A little bit 'o boost would be nice.
Agreed. I've missed a few calls because I couldn't hear the ringer.

Where is iChat Mobile?

-- Customize ringtones -- It'd be nice to be able to add custom ringtones directly from MP3 files. This is nowhere close to a high-priority item, but a fun add-on.
I want this. Sort of like the sleep light - I can easily live without it, but I have a special ring for my wife and it sort of irritates me I can't use it on a $600 phone. Nowhere near a deal breaker, but it seems goofy.

--Noah
Overall, a pretty good list.

My other quibbles:

1. A consistent way to navigate back one screen.
2. I want to mount it like an iPod and use it as a hard drive. I'd really like Home To Go if Apple ever goes with it I want it on my iPhone.
3. Please, please put "Contacts" as a separate widget. I hate going into "phone" to deal with contacts.
4. Allow me to delete most widgets. Honest, I teach and spent all my disposable income on the iPhone. I don't need "Stocks."
5. Open the platform to Widget developers, add Flash support so I can view my radar sites in motion and I'll be a happy camper.

I find the iPhone to be a stellar product and my complaints are really minor compared to how happy I am with the phone.

I suspect that Apple kept some of these out of the product to minimize potential issue with a v1 product, to increase security (hackers will be gunning for the iPhone due to it's popularity and stellar press), and to leave something for iPhone 2 :laugh2:

I also suspect at least a few of these issues will be addressed via software updates. My greatest disappointment is the lack of 3G support and that will require a new phone later. I understand why it was left out, and EDGE is passable in some places (like parts of Orlando) but in rural areas - when you need Map most, it is glacially slow for me.

davem

Sep 25, 2007
returning my iPhone

Bought an 8Gb iPhone a few weeks ago. Previous phone was a Blackberry 7105t (t-mobile).

iPhone pros:
1. screen is excellent
2. nice integration with my macbookpro - entourage calendar, iTunes, etc.

iPhone cons:
1. sound is terrible (both directions, sounds like talking through a tin cup)
2. speakerphone not usable (both directions)
3. no push email
4. email notification very weak (and slow)

i.e.: it's great for everything except phone calls and email :(
Have decided to return my iPhone, and go back to t-mobile, with a blackberry 8320.

D