My iPhone V1 eBay scam story

ndmx52

Dec 29, 2007
Thought I would share this. Just want anyone else trying to sell their V1 to be careful.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Great video, it's true, I have heard this happen to several people and some who have actually sent the phone and just got screwed.
I sold mine to U.S. only and yes, absolutely has to be verified Paypal address that all matches up to the buyer. Sold my 4g for $350 to a very nice person in Florida.
I am glad it worked out and you didn't send the phone.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Lack of headphones is killing me right now. Mind elaborating on the video connie?

aq.timmy

Aug 3, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I sold my old v1 to someone on my local Craigslist. Put specifically in the ad that I wanted cash only. We met at a gas station and the deal was smooth.

I don't trust eBay with these kinds of things. Dealing locally and with cash only will make selling it a lot easier.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Dealing locally and with cash only will make selling it a lot easier.
Just make sure you bring your boys for back up, you know, in case something goes down...you never know what an Apple product will make some people do

aq.timmy

Aug 3, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Just make sure you bring your boys for back up, you know, in case something goes down...you never know what an Apple product will make some people do
I had my girlfriend with me. I can only imagine what she would have done if something bad happened to me... :sick:

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Ebay is fine as long as you play things smart

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
nevermind, wouldn't play on my phone, but would on the computer. That sux dude. I had a real simular experience on eBay when my v1 sold for 445. The bidder was brand new to eBay and had 0 history. Beat out a trusted local guy by a few bucks too.... well after almost a week of BS, eBay finally let me re-list the phone, but could not let me do a second chance offer to anyone due to the fraudulant nature of the winner's bid.

Soooo, I list it again and almost happened again, thank GOD a 100% rated buyer with a ton of transactions won at the last second, but this time, it only went for 393.... bunch of douche bags out there trying to get something for nothing.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Well if you are selling it, there are a couple of members here at EIC who would like it.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
yes, somebody from Nigeria did my "buy it now" and sent me a bunch of false emails that looked like they were from ebay and paypal.

No money was dropped into my paypal account and I just sent an email to eBay telling them this is an obvious scam.

Just never trust anyone outside the country (MAYBE england or western Europe).