My iPhone will not charge properly!

sjd181

Sep 14, 2011
Hello,

I have been an iPhone 4 user since last July. It has been a wonderful phone, however in the last month something strange has happened. I cannot seem to get my iPhone to charge from a wall socket using the original wall charger and USB cord supplied with the phone. When I charge from a USB port on a computer, I may only get half a charge before my phone says "charging is not supported with this accessory"?!? I havn't tried any aftermarket chargers yet because I am not sure if its the phone or the charger. What gives? Thanks for any feedback!

sjd181

Sep 14, 2011
Not yet. I would have to go out and buy another USB cable to charge the iPhone with and I was trying to avoid that if possible.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
That's such a weird problem for such a new phone. I tell you, anything can happen with these phones. I agree that a Hard Restart should help the problem.

If not a complete Restore might do the trick. If you have to do a complete Restore, make sure you back up your iPhone first.

If none of this works, call Apple, they will definitely help you.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
You know anyone with an iPhone? Maybe see if you could try their cable and/charger. May save you having to buy one if the cable isn't the issue.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
It won't be the cable. Unless its a 3rd party one.
Oh. A cable supplied from Apple has NEVER had an issue or gone bad?
When you have multiple pieces to a problem, you check them all... Phone, cable, power block...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
It won't be the cable. Unless its a 3rd party one.
I'm not jumping on the train here, but the official Apple USB cables go bad all the time. You can however take them back into an Apple store ans have them replaced, crazy huh?

All of my many official Apple 30 pin USB cables have split. I just swap them or buy new ones. I'm anal about having nicely presented gear.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I'm not jumping on the train here, but the official Apple USB cables go bad all the time. You can however take them back into an Apple store ans have them replaced, crazy huh?

All of my many official Apple 30 pin USB cables have split. I just swap them or buy new ones. I'm anal about having nicely presented gear.
Really?! The Apple Store will replace the old frayed USB cables?

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK

So am I. But if the cable is working, it is working. It's not a very advance piece of equipment. It will either charge your phone or it won't. I would try a restore. And John, don't ever jump on my train again. My train.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
So am I. But if the cable is working, it is working. It's not a very advance piece of equipment. It will either charge your phone or it won't. I would try a restore. And John, don't ever jump on my train again. My train.
Didn't like your train anyway...

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I once had an Apple USB cable that would charge my iPhone, but would not work to update or restore firmware. I switched it out for a brand new one and everything worked fine again. True story.

Nur2652

Bronze
Aug 1, 2010
I've also had the EXACT problem with my iPhone 4 charging. Seems like after 1 year the charging goes and the home button goes. I believe it's prob a cable problem and not a phone problem. Although that being said I have not charged it yet with another charger.

sjd181

Sep 14, 2011
Thanks for all the good advice! I will post a response when I solve the problem.

Jun 2, 2011
If the cable works in a USB port it is most likely not the problem. I would then check the wall charger.

sjd181

Sep 14, 2011
Well a restore did NOT work. The same problem still occurs. I will have to pick up a new USB/Wall Charger soon and see if that will take care of the problem. I took a screen shot of what happens when I try charging my phone. It will usually let me charge for a few minutes and then this will show up!
004.PNG

sjd181

Sep 14, 2011
I did a good cleaning last night and made sure to use canned air to remove any dust from the pins at the bottom of the phone. I also cleaned the USB cable ends and wiped them with a microfiber cloth. That seemed to work, I plugged the phone in and this morning it was still charging (sitting at 100 percent).