My iPhone won't ring?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 24, 2007
Sorry if there is a topic on this somewhere but after a bit of searching I wasn't able to locate one.

My iPhone for some reason is not giving an audible ring anymore. I checked and double checked the settings and made sure they are set up right. I also checked to see if it was the speaker by playing music with the phone which worked fine. If someone calls me it lights up and shows the incoming call on the display but it won't actually play any ring tone (created or otherwise) or vibrate.

Now after some testing I found if I turn on the silent function of the phone it will vibrate when a call comes in but turning silent off and vibrate on (which should allow my phone to both ring and vibrate) does nothing.

Any ideas

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Sorry if there is a topic on this somewhere but after a bit of searching I wasn't able to locate one.

My iPhone for some reason is not giving an audible ring anymore. I checked and double checked the settings and made sure they are set up right. I also checked to see if it was the speaker by playing music with the phone which worked fine. If someone calls me it lights up and shows the incoming call on the display but it won't actually play any ring tone (created or otherwise) or vibrate.

Now after some testing I found if I turn on the silent function of the phone it will vibrate when a call comes in but turning silent off and vibrate on (which should allow my phone to both ring and vibrate) does nothing.

Any ideas
Did you SSH in and make sure the ringtone is there and not corrupted somehow? That's the only thing I can figure.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Just a silly question, but just making sure... Is your silent mode tab on the left side of the phone in the down position? should be in the up (no orange showing). And by any chance your phone modded?

Sep 24, 2007
Just a silly question, but just making sure... Is your silent mode tab on the left side of the phone in the down position? should be in the up (no orange showing). And by any chance your phone modded?
Ok now I feel like a dummy... I have had my iPhone for almost 2 months and never knew about that tab. That is exactly what the problem was. Thanks a ton!

Oh and I am way too afraid to mod.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Boy, these "known Apple issues' sure are stacking up.

All us Apple zea lots are feeling mighty embarrassed. ;)

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
The known Issue he's talking about it ONLY caused when using a pulg in headphones, then you loose sound after you unplug the headphones. In which case you plug in and unplug the head phones a few times to correct. This actually happens on a lot of phones that have head phone jacks and not just a Apple issue. I think its just the software not realizing that the head phones were unplugged.

But glad to help out!