My iPhone's Receiver DIED! Can't hear a sound!

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Archives' started by DCDJ, Dec 19, 2007.

1. DCDJ

DCDJ New Member

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this in, but it my receiver dying might have had something to do with the modifications I have done.

I have had NO Issues up until yesterday, all of a sudden in the middle of a phone call my receiver just cut out, couldn't hear a thing, the person on the other end could hear my fine, I just couldn't hear them!

I have an unlocked 8GB on Tmobile, original from day one, went from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 and now currently running 1.1.2 jailbroken and unlocked of course.

Every other function of the phone works 100%, I can make calls, but can only HEAR the calls with the headset, speakerphone, or bluetooth, not from the actual phone's receiver!

The phone has never been dropped or had any physical damage so I have on clue what could have caused this! I even tried a restore and went through the jailbreak and unlock process so I could be running 1.1.2. Receiver still dead and didn't work when I tested it in 1.1.1 during the restore.

Anyone know what might have caused this and how I could fix it? I don't think I will be able to send my phone for repair or an exchange after all the modding?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. kotsos

kotsos New Member

Plug in the hands free headset that came with the iPhone. Make a phone call. Then unplug the handsfree and try making a phone call as normal.

I suggest you restart your phone first. If this does not solve the problem, repeat the procedure 3-4 times. If you still have problems do a restore after you virginize.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. DCDJ

DCDJ New Member

I tried the multiple phone callswith the handsfree and the restore after a virginize but no luck, but thanks for the tips.

I actually was able to fix the problem following the steps from sLimNick over at modmyifone:

"Plug the headphones back into it. Then turn on the ipod and play music. Then pause the music and unplug the headphones, and the receiver will work. If you accidentally pull out the headphones while the music is playing it somehow kills the receiver speaker until you plug it back in pause the music and thern unplug them." -SlimNick (modmyifone.com)

Worked great. Thanks for your help though kotsos!
  5. kotsos

kotsos New Member

I am glad you were able to solve your problem. very frustrating i know.
  6. Prajjwal

Prajjwal New Member Bronze

yeah i am happy that u were able to solve it and this will help others too
  7. jeffreybomb

jeffreybomb New Member

I had this exact same thing happen to me. Fortunately, someone else had the problem first, the fix worked, and my phone's not giving me any more problems.

:)
  8. htech

htech New Member Bronze

Wow! should have read this before I restored my phone. I thought it was something wrong with my hacked iPhone but it wasn't. doh! this trick worked great! thanks so much! thought I was going to have a useless brick.

9. Gonçalo

Gonçalo New Member

Hello, My iPhone's Receiver DIED! Can't hear a sound! I´ve tried your solutions but i had now luck. I couldn´t fix it. Do you know any other way to fix this problem? And what is this "sLimNick over at modmyifone " Thank you
  10. gadha

gadha New Member

i had a similar problem. My iPhone was stuck in headphones mode. when you're on a call press the volume buttons. Does it say headphones? If it does, then you have the same problem as me.
    I took a can of air and cleaned the headphone jack hole and just plugged in and out the headphones a few times and it was working again.
  11. tamakin

tamakin New Member Bronze

Sorry, you're screwed. That happened to my v1 iPhone about 8 months after I bought it. I tried everything but nothing worked. Time for you to suck it up and get a 3g.
  12. SNiiP3R

SNiiP3R Member Bronze

I had to replace mine when that happened. Nothing that I've tried worked. If your phone still has the warranty, take it to any Apple store, they will replace it.
  13. thepelekan

thepelekan New Member

Solved - Receiver Now Working

This may not apply to all issues contributing to an iPhone's receiver not working, but I was able to solve my issue in the following way: By carefuly cleaning the headphone port with a modified Q-Tip.

Standard Q-Tips are too large to fit inside the port - so don't try. You will likely do something bad by forcing it in. Carefully unwind and remove the excess cotton from the Q-tip head until it is small enough to fit. Next gently turn the Q-Tip in the correct direction so as to not further unwind the cotton inside the port. Last, don't make matters worse by leaving behind errant cotton fibers.

My Q-Tip came out slightly dirty, and my iPhone emmediatly started working.

I first tried other suggestions like re-installing the OS, restarting the iPhone, repeated insertion the headphone jack, and the oft-quoted suggestion by 'sLimNick'. However, the cleaning did the trick for me. YMMV

I have a WAG about the cause: If to much 'gunk' builds up between the contacts inside the headphone port, the iPhone will still think the headphones are connected, even when they are not. My un-scientific guess continues to reason that the gunk allows some micro-current to travel between the contacts and hense an incorrect indication of a headphone jack being present.

Then again, the contacts just may need to feel important, once due homage is paid, they release their iron-grip upon our lives.

Cheers, to all, and hope someone else finds this helpful.
  14. Watcher

Watcher Zealot Gold

AWESOME! This made the read well worth it! :eek:k:eek:k
  15. navybratt

navybratt New Member

THANK YOU! I was having the same exact problem and I kept restarting my phone but that just wasn't working so I found this site and saw your post and I followed the procedures you posted from SlimNick (modmyifone.com) and it worked perfectly!
  16. what a joke this phone is. my phone was doing this from day one. I called iPhone they said they didn't hear about such a problem.. it would only happen on occasion so I lived with it for a couple of months until finally I couldnt hear a bloody thing out of the phone (except on speaker) . I took the device to the mac "genius" bar, and the "genius" (HA) told me he never heard such a thing happening.. told me since my phone was still on warranty (I paid $700 a cpl of months ago) he could give me a refurbished phone. I said I wanted a new one, he said no can do, that I could only have a used one, but he thinks the used ones work better then the ones in the front of the store because they have been more carefuly checked. I thought that was pretty crooked, because after all my phone is only a cpl of months old, the one they are giving me could be 6 months old .. but they said that was all they could do. the first call i make with the refurbished phone they gave me the SAME THING HAPPENED! the guy at iPhone then tells me he doesn't believe me. then I try the phone right there in front of him.. and he sees the call is connected and is saying hello, hello.. hello.. and I scream in the background to my friend (knowing she can hear us, but he cant hear her) the guys name is cory cory cory.. and then we call her back, and I ask her to tell the guy his name..
    and well they finally gave me a new phone, made me sign up for a new contract, but I think I should sue steve jobs. there really should be a class action suit.. not just for the faulty device, but for all the lies too
  17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Napoleon PhoneApart Moderator Senior Moderator

I received a refurbished iPhone once, and it was as good as new. A lot of people here like the refurbs.
  18. yeah, they replace it with an old used refurbished phone the crooks.
  19. and you know why they give you an old used refurbished phone? because millions of people are returning the ridiculous device.
  20. the device is the worst device of all time.
    I took mine to mac and they acted like they never heard such a problem existed.
    they said they would only give me a refurbished phone. so i pay $700 for a phone that is 2 months old, and they want to give me a used phone that didn't work for somebody else?
    iPhone should throw in the towel
    we should all start a class action lawsuit against them. they are selling defective devices and lying!
  21. Napoleon PhoneApart

Napoleon PhoneApart Moderator Senior Moderator

Alright. Stop the ridiculous ranting. First off, refurbished iPhones are not just resold as is. They get new exterior glass and the hardware is checked thoroughly before resale. A lot of folks trust refurbs over new iPhones.

This smells a lot like trolling, and if it is, your stay here will be extremely short.