My iPod 4g is Jailbroken and won't restore with iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Jim Shmoe, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jim Shmoe

Jim Shmoe New Member

I jailbroke my iPod 4g with Redsn0w 0.9.10b3 and it worked without a hitch. Although, I had been growing increasingly annoyed with the speed of my iPod, as jailbreaking significantly reduces its speed. I attempted to restore it with iTunes but "an unknown error occurred (21)" and put my iPod into recovery mode, or something of the sort (a plug with an arrow pointing to an iTunes icon). I have been tooling around with it for a couple of days now and can't seem to find a solution. Please help, thank-you.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've heard that a hard reset will fix it. Hold the home and power buttons at the same time. Let go when you see the Apple logo.

3. RobartGilbert

RobartGilbert New Member

Hi Jim Shmeo,

TinyCFW is a simple tool I put together for a friend of mine. He has an iPad2 GSM and has his 4.3.3 SHSH but since Apple is no longer signing 4.3.3, it isn't possible to downgrade to 4.3.3 without getting stuck in a 1015 recovery loop.

Here's what TinyCFW can do:

It will modify an existing ipsw for an ipad2 gsm/cdma or iPhone4 gsm/cdma
    It WILL modify the ipsw TO UPDATE YOUR BASEBAND TO THE LATEST!
    It will create an ipsw that you can use with TinyUmbrella AND iTunes to restore to a version of iOS that you have SHSHs for.
    It is primarily for iPad2 with a baseband OR iPhone 4.

NotCom has also clarified that TinyCFW is not:

A jailbreak
    An unlock
    A tool to protect your baseband.
    A tool that will restore your device to any firmware
    A tool for use with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPad, or iPhone 4S

He has also provided the following instructions to use TinyCFW:

The usage is simple. Start the application. Once the window comes up, click the top button and choose an ipsw for which you have SHSHs for. The app will scan it and tell you the firmware and baseband versions in the ipsw you selected and the firmware and baseband versions that will be in the target ipsw when you click the second button. If you're ready, click 'Save Target IPSW'. This will take a minute or two and when it is finished, you will have a file named:

<your original ipsw name>.bbupdate.ipsw.

You can use this ipsw with iTunes and TinyUmbrella to restore your iPad2 GSM/CDMA back to say 4.3.3 (if you have 4.3.3 SHSH).

Thanks | See if this helps