My knee hurts from running

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
So, I injured my IT band a couple years ago from running. Had to stop running, do PT, deal with it, etc. Lately I have been running again at the gym in circuits (I love running) and my knee hurts. I do not think the golfing helps it any, either.

Just wanted to whine a little. I am better now. :)

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
So, I injured my IT band a couple years ago from running. Had to stop running, do PT, deal with it, etc. Lately I have been running again at the gym in circuits (I love running) and my knee hurts. I do not think the golfing helps it any, either.

Just wanted to whine a little. I am better now. :)
I feel your pain (not exactly). I used to run, then I got lazy and stopped. Now, I get splints like hell. :mad:

Hope you feel better. :laugh2:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I somewhat share your pain. I constantly have knee pain after bending them, and having them in that bent position for more than a few seconds. But anyways, I hope your knees get better :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
reason #341 to swim instead of run.

H

Hayesimus

just hope your leg doesn't fall asleep...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Try cutting your finger. You'll forget all about the knee.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Golfing is not good for the knee, look at Tiger, he announced that he is going to be having knee surgery soon, he barely got through last week because of the pain.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i might be wrong, but i think there are far worse things to do to your knees than playing golf.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
i might be wrong, but i think there are far worse things to do to your knees than playing golf.
Like running!
I don't know what the knee connection is with golf since I don't play but I know Tiger can't bend down anymore to measure his shots. So I don't know if it's from golf or something else but
I have always heard running is very hard on the knees.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Like running!
I don't know what the knee connection is with golf since I don't play but I know Tiger can't bend down anymore to measure his shots. So I don't know if it's from golf or something else but
I have always heard running is very hard on the knees.

Try to NOT run on the hard surfaces like sidewalks and streets.... Run right next to them in the grass. FAR LESS stress and shock on the knees.
Cross country running is the ONLY way to go.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thanks guys for the responses. I feel bad complaining about my knee. I know this is a small problem that is nothing compared to other peoples problems.

To hippo, yes, I need to swim more and run less. I just get better results from running than swimming. I also enjoy swimming. I used to lifeguard (long ago). Swimming just takes more time than running. Do you have any swimming workouts that you can recommend? Or know of a book that would have some good swim workouts?

To Connie, it is my right knee, but it is really my IT band and when I load my weight to my right side in the golf swing it takes some strain. But it is really the running that makes it irritated.

To OJ, I only run circuits (I like to do a WT program in circuits and I run between sets) now inside on the squishy track at the gym. I do not run outside on the road anymore. :(. I prefer to, but that is how I messed my leg to begin with. Before I took up golf, I was running in 5k's and training for a triathlon. Then I messed up my knee, and took up golf. So messing up my knee actually ended up being good. If I was not forced to stop training for the tri, I would not have made time for golf. Maybe I need to look on the bright side.:)

Dave, what response can I have to that. I will answer you in the chat room. ;) lol.

I used to be much fatter and totally out of shape. Running makes me feel strong, and that is why I like it. I also need to be more diligent in my stretching in order to manage the irritation.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Thanks guys for the responses. I feel bad complaining about my knee. I know this is a small problem that is nothing compared to other peoples problems.

To hippo, yes, I need to swim more and run less. I just get better results from running than swimming. I also enjoy swimming. I used to lifeguard (long ago). Swimming just takes more time than running. Do you have any swimming workouts that you can recommend? Or know of a book that would have some good swim workouts?

To Connie, it is my right knee, but it is really my IT band and when I load my weight to my right side in the golf swing it takes some strain. But it is really the running that makes it irritated.

To OJ, I only run circuits (I like to do a WT program in circuits and I run between sets) now inside on the squishy track at the gym. I do not run outside on the road anymore. :(. I prefer to, but that is how I messed my leg to begin with. Before I took up golf, I was running in 5k's and training for a triathlon. Then I messed up my knee, and took up golf. So messing up my knee actually ended up being good. If I was not forced to stop training for the tri, I would not have made time for golf. Maybe I need to look on the bright side.:)

Dave, what response can I have to that. I will answer you in the chat room. ;) lol.

I used to be much fatter and totally out of shape. Running makes me feel strong, and that is why I like it. I also need to be more diligent in my stretching in order to manage the irritation.
Try Glucosamine. My wife swears by it, and she runs marathons, 10k's, half-marathons, triathlons, etc., and she says if she quits taking glucosamine, she can feel it in her knees.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Try Glucosamine. My wife swears by it, and she runs marathons, 10k's, half-marathons, triathlons, etc., and she says if she quits taking glucosamine, she can feel it in her knees.
My dad swears by it too...

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I have been "fast walking" 2 miles in the evenings with some friends and I notice the hard surface is hard on my knees and shins. I will try OJ's suggestion. But more than this I have a huge pain in my left heel that hurts so bad and it hurts when I apply any pressure after I recover from walking, I can barely stand after awhile. Also the next morning I can't apply any pressure at all to my heel. I limp around for awhile until it stretches out some. By the evening its better so I walk again and the whole thing starts again. I think I need to see a doctor.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
That sounds like Bursitis, Connie. You can get cortisone shots to help with the pain, but the only remedy is to give your feet a rest until it heals, and get shoes which offer more support.