my letter to steve jobs about 3rd part apps

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
dear mr. jobs,

i have used and loved Apple products for going on 25 years. in the past three years, i have spent over $10,000 on Apple hardware and software.

my most recent purchase was the iPhone, which i bought on june 28th and actually stood in line for 8 hours to ensure that i got one.

i have been loyal to Apple, through and through.

i have been very happy with the iPhone...it is a wonderful product. that being said, i am very disappointed that you have not only decided to not produce any further applications since the phones release 3 months ago in a timely manner, but are actively thwarting the efforts of any third party development.

as it stands now, there is no "killer app" for the iPhone. the ability to use it as a phone is NOT a killer app. and web applications just don't cut it.

i understand that you want to protect Apple's intellectual property and i support that. but your unwillingness to let the phone evolve in its usage community is very disappointing.

as i said, i love Apple products, but quite frankly, i am not thrilled at all in the way Apple has been operating lately.

if you continue on this avenue, i may very well decide to stop supporting Apple in the future.

you were an original hacker, mr. jobs. you used your "blue box" against AT&T, a company you must have felt was a cold and uncaring corporation.
now, 30 years later, you are committing the same mistakes that you blamed AT&T for doing, and you are doing it with AT&T as a partner.

quite a paradox, isn't it?

I would welcome a reply if you have the time.

carl XXXXX
XXXXXXX, fl

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i think this is really nice letter BUT i would try and make it a little more formal buy capitalizing things.

but this REALLY doesn't matter.

good letter all in all :D

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Agreed, but it DOES matter. You won't be taken seriously if you don't look professional.

Nice letter though.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i figure it won't even get read.. which is a shame
I bet you are not one to vote in political elections:p

This will sound mean, but that letter has no character or an emphasis on anything. Weird thing is I'm an engineer saying this:laugh2:. Can someone help him polish this up a little?

I do agree though and you did point out the fact how he was in his younger days.

rdmb57

Aug 4, 2007
dear mr. jobs,

i have been very happy with the iPhone...it is a wonderful product. that being said, i am very disappointed that you have not only decided to not produce any further applications since the phones release 3 months ago in a timely manner, but are actively thwarting the efforts of any third party development.
OK, here's my .02 - take it for what it's worth...

At the most basic level, this reads like the kind of complaint letter that is generally ignored by general management, not even reaching as far as hitting the CEO of a multinational corporation. Here's why:

Honestly - the $10,000 you have spent on Apple products over the past X years is merely a drop in the bucket for a corporation the size of Apple. By leading with this, the letter sounds like a veiled threat - "do what I say or else I'll.." do what? Sell your Apple products and buy a PC? Take a loss on your iPhone and replace it with another AT&T handset (or migrate to a new carrier and eat the early termination fee)? This is the businesss equivalent of "mommy, give me my candy NOW or else I'll hold my breath until I turn blue".

Secondly, long before the release of the iPhone, Jobs was quite clear that the development platform in the near term was by using web apps under Safari. When this was publicized, did you think he was just kidding around and really didn't mean it?

Finally - the impatience is astounding. The device has been out for three months. And you are complaining about the speed of updates and app development on the platform? It's unrealistic to say the least.

Maybe your letter makes you feel better but in my opinion, it will end up on the trash heap. If I had as much religious fervor about things like nintendo on the iPhone or being able to make my phone ring to the dulcet tones of the latest pop artist, I might write a letter also. But the tone would be much different. Withholding your patronage of Apple products is not going to make one small ripple in the financial picture of their company. Ditch the threats. I'd lead off with some kind of benefit that Apple might enjoy if they were to open up the platform for third party development.

How would they recoup the green dollars required to publish an SDK? Would their support costs increase by opening up the platform? If you want to speak to the CEO, talk in CEO langauge -- cost/benefit.

Rick

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
OK, here's my .02 - take it for what it's worth...

At the most basic level, this reads like the kind of complaint letter that is generally ignored by general management, not even reaching as far as hitting the CEO of a multinational corporation. Here's why:

Honestly - the $10,000 you have spent on Apple products over the past X years is merely a drop in the bucket for a corporation the size of Apple. By leading with this, the letter sounds like a veiled threat - "do what I say or else I'll.." do what? Sell your Apple products and buy a PC? Take a loss on your iPhone and replace it with another AT&T handset (or migrate to a new carrier and eat the early termination fee)? This is the businesss equivalent of "mommy, give me my candy NOW or else I'll hold my breath until I turn blue".

Secondly, long before the release of the iPhone, Jobs was quite clear that the development platform in the near term was by using web apps under Safari. When this was publicized, did you think he was just kidding around and really didn't mean it?

Finally - the impatience is astounding. The device has been out for three months. And you are complaining about the speed of updates and app development on the platform? It's unrealistic to say the least.

Maybe your letter makes you feel better but in my opinion, it will end up on the trash heap. If I had as much religious fervor about things like nintendo on the iPhone or being able to make my phone ring to the dulcet tones of the latest pop artist, I might write a letter also. But the tone would be much different. Withholding your patronage of Apple products is not going to make one small ripple in the financial picture of their company. Ditch the threats. I'd lead off with some kind of benefit that Apple might enjoy if they were to open up the platform for third party development.

How would they recoup the green dollars required to publish an SDK? Would their support costs increase by opening up the platform? If you want to speak to the CEO, talk in CEO langauge -- cost/benefit.

Rick
I agree with you 110%!

FW