My Life Blog

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Hello. My name is Michael. I am not new here but I rarely post a new topic. I thought I would though to now let those who somewhat know of me what I am doing with my life. I am a 25 year old unemployed college graduate. For the past month I have been applying for jobs but also writing on my new blog. If you're interested, there are some good articles I have written. FYI to mods, this is an unpaid blog meaning no ads to get me money. I'm fully unemployed.

http://www.michaelpollakblog.com

Thank you either way. If you do read some, I would love to know your thoughts.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I am a 25 year old unemployed college graduate.
That college degree is your ticket to success. I'm proud of you for getting it. I tried to get one, Lord knows I tried, but I ended up dropping out of college. You will be successful. Do not worry.

Listen to this song and keep it in mind.

Argent - "Hold Your Head Up" (1972)

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Hello. My name is Michael. I am not new here but I rarely post a new topic. I thought I would though to now let those who somewhat know of me what I am doing with my life. I am a 25 year old unemployed college graduate. For the past month I have been applying for jobs but also writing on my new blog. If you're interested, there are some good articles I have written. FYI to mods, this is an unpaid blog meaning no ads to get me money. I'm fully unemployed.

http://www.michaelpollakblog.com

Thank you either way. If you do read some, I would love to know your thoughts.
Do you have permission to post an external link on here?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I hope things have worked out for you. I'm currently in the same situation, but mainly because I am unable to recover properly from a surgery I underwent last February, so I had to resign last month until I either get better or undergo another one. Before I got that job, though, I was unemployed for quite some time and had to sit with myself and start to reflect on my life and what I am actually doing in it.

Self-reflecting is not easy and can sometimes lead to minimal depression or at least sadness and anxiety, and I've been through both; however, I realized that what helps me is not thinking about the future but rather about what I can do right now. Why would I try and control what is technically not in my hands at the moment? Or at least why would I let it bring me down mentally and emotionally? I hate stress.

I majored in Political Science when I was in college and unfortunately I have not been able to find a single job in my field ever since I graduated, thanks to the horrific political scene in my country. I ended up working as a Human Resources Generalist for around a year and then took a Qualitative Marketing Research job as an Account Executive responsible for doing all the field work (focus groups, research, analysis, reporting, etc.), but in all honesty I never really fell in love or got truly interested in either field.

At the moment I am basically free because I am still in the recovery period (two months) and I have started to reflect again on what I want to do with my life. I started to write down what actually interests me in life: technology, cars, writing, and psychology; YES, I am greatly interested in Psychology, specifically behavioral, and actually regret not majoring in it, which is why I am thinking about pursuing a post-graduate and eventually a Master's Degree in Psychology in the near future abroad.

My family is very supportive but I am completely unsure about my decision because I do not want to risk all the time and money and eventually go back to the point I am in right now. What do you guys think?

I apologize for the long post but I know a lot of you here are quite experienced and well-informed when it comes to the aspects of academics, work, and life in general, and I would be happy to learn from your experiences as much as I can.

EDIT: Your blog posts reminded me of an article I wrote in the beginning of last year about post-graduation syndrome. You can read it here: http://identity-mag.com/post-graduation-syndrome-egyptian-culture-prepare-us-next-phase/ Please excuse the idiotic editor for messing up the punctuation and format of the article. :D

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I hope things have worked out for you. I'm currently in the same situation, but mainly because I am unable to recover properly from a surgery I underwent last February, so I had to resign last month until I either get better or undergo another one. Before I got that job, though, I was unemployed for quite some time and had to sit with myself and start to reflect on my life and what I am actually doing in it...
Thanks for letting me know about yourself. I am in a situation where I do have a medical condition, so technically I can consider myself disabled although I am still able to fully live my life. I have Epilepsy, but am fully stable on medication although right now I am on a lower dosage in hopes to get my blood level down to therapeutic. I have had maybe 8-10 jobs total since my first job. They range from part time jobs to contract jobs to straight temporary jobs through employment agencies. My last job I was only with for 3.5 days because they said I wasn't learning fast enough, although the guy helping me told me that it would take about a month to get the hang of everything. That was ridiculous. The good thing is that I saw it coming. I am getting multiple interviews, but I just haven't heard back or I got declined via email. I have a good opportunity soon, I just have to wait to get email or call to do the last part which is the polygraph exam.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
@MoneyMaker79 I wish you the best of luck in your coming interviews and the upcoming opportunity. My former direct manager, who is now a friend of mine, has epilepsy as well and I've had to learn what to do when the attack happens because it occurred twice in a couple of months at work; the good news is, it does not really just come out of the blue, but rather when you're not taking care of yourself and taking your medication properly. I remember last time he had just come back from traveling and was sleep deprived, exhausted, not on medication, and most importantly still hungover from a high consumption of alcohol so it was bound to happen.

You are going to be fine as long as you are taking care of your health. I have had type 1 Diabetes ever since I was 4, and although it is a common disease, it becomes a nightmare when it is unstable. Over the years I've had to learn to control it and with time and experience I am now able to predict how I am going to be in the next hour or two, so that really helps when you don't have your meter on you and I can fix things before they get nasty. What I am trying to say is that God gave us these diseases so we can learn how to cope with them, properly handle them, have patience and tolerance, and hopefully make us a more responsible people in the longterm, and I for one have accepted that fact a long time ago.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
@MoneyMaker79 I wish you the best of luck in your coming interviews and the upcoming opportunity. My former direct manager, who is now a friend of mine, has epilepsy as well and I've had to learn what to do when the attack happens because it occurred twice in a couple of months at work; the good news is, it does not really just come out of the blue, but rather when you're not taking care of yourself and taking your medication properly. I remember last time he had just come back from traveling and was sleep deprived, exhausted, not on medication, and most importantly still hungover from a high consumption of alcohol so it was bound to happen.

You are going to be fine as long as you are taking care of your health. I have had type 1 Diabetes ever since I was 4, and although it is a common disease, it becomes a nightmare when it is unstable. Over the years I've had to learn to control it and with time and experience I am now able to predict how I am going to be in the next hour or two, so that really helps when you don't have your meter on you and I can fix things before they get nasty. What I am trying to say is that God gave us these diseases so we can learn how to cope with them, properly handle them, have patience and tolerance, and hopefully make us a more responsible people in the longterm, and I for one have accepted that fact a long time ago.
Thank you so much for this. I am trying very hard to get a job, but it has been frustrating. As for my medical, I am a few years seizure free, but back when I was having them I didn't know when one could occur. I did know that sleep deprivation was an issue, but other than that even with medication one could occur. I had no signs of one coming on. I don't drink or anything, so that's not a problem. Besides all that, I am hoping I can soon get a job that will keep me for more than just a few days so I can learn the company systems etc, and prove myself.