My Mac doubling up files?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
So I was using the app WhatSizeIsIt to see what is taking up so much space and saw that the total hard drive is roughly 80gb used, leaving about 30 remaining. How come I see that in the applications folder my iTunes is this:

and in the Music folder it is this:

Is my computer doubling up on my files?
The same thing happens for my Azureus downloads.

My thing is that in the Places directory, the sum of the parts should equal the total for Macintosh HD, right? Why is it doubling up on Azureus and My Music?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
both sets are showing you the same directory.

/Users/username/Music/iTunes Music

and

/Users/username/Documents/Azureus

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
How come when I add up all the GB in the "Places" it adds up to the total Macintosh HD Total space?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you do that, you ARE counting everything twice. Your "username" folder includes music, documents, movies, library, etc... If you add-up everything in THAT column, you will see it's about 45.5GB, which is what is listed under your username in places.

So what you're probably wondering is if your user folder is only 45GB, what is taking up the rest of the space? To check this you need to open up your root directory (the first-level of your HD). There you will find something like this:

obviously yours will look a little different, but you should still see that your Applications, Library, and System folders will also take up quite a bit of space.