My new iPhone 5 won't connect to my work WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by JWB, Dec 17, 2012.

1. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Any ideas why it wont connect to my works wifi...When I try to connect it says, "Unavailable". The router here is a linksys2. I've read in the past that iPhone 5's have problems connecting to wifi..So, thought I would see if anyone here has any ideas...Thanks.

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

When you go to Settings/Wi-Fi does the phone list your work's network's name? If it does but there is no check mark to the left of the name tap on the name and re-enter the password required. (you can get it from your network's administrator). If that doesn't work, try a hard reset by holding down the Home button and Sleep/Wake button together until the Apple logo appears then release them and wait for the phone to reboot and try again. If that doesn't work then try restoring from your last backup in iTunes. The last resort would be to reset your network settings. This will erase all passwords for networks you have successfuly connected to in the past so be sure you have that information for all the various networks you have connected to before doing this. Go to Settings/General and scroll to the bottom of the page to Reset. One of the options, when you tap Reset, will be to Reset Network Settings. All the passwords will need to be put back in as you connect to those networks in the future. Good luck.

3. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Thank you..I'll try it...yeah, it wont even let me put a check next to it. I'll do a restore from my back up and if that doesn't work I'll do the reset...Thanks..

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Just to clarify, the check mark next to the network name won't show up until you are currently connected to that network.

5. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

ok thanks....yeah, it wont even connect...it tries to, then it says, Unable to connect to linksys2...I'll try the restore then reset network settings...Thanks..

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The "Unable to connect......" message usually indicates the password that was used to try and join the network was incorrect. Are you sure you are using the correct password? Did the Network Administrator change the password as a security measure and you didn't get the new password? If there is any question you can tap the blue arrow to the right of the network listing, tap on "Forget this network" then try to rejoin the network by re-entering the correct password.

7. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

it doesn't even give me the option for the password...

8. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

I did the Forget This network, now it prompts me to enter password..However when I enter the password it still says unable to join...

9. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

If you are absolutely certain it is the correct password including upper and lower case letters correctly typed (passwords are usually case sensitive) then I guess it is time to restore from a backup.

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

JWB This is piculiar. I have free WiFi @ my Train station when I'm commuting to work. It acts ficle like the one at your job. I have to log into my cable TV account in order to get the "free" Wifi and sometimes it won't take my info or tells me it is unable to connect also. I just chalk it up to a bad connection because a lot of people are probably taxing the server while traveling. That might be the case for you at work as well. If the PW wasn't changed and it still won't let you in, it might be over taxed. Or, like what I do, I just log off and eventually I can get on the Free WiFi, but by the time that happens, I'm going into a tunnel and I can't utilize the service. If a lot of people are on it and even guests, the server might be bogged down and if you're not on first you might not get a shot at it. This is just a possibility.

11. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

what are the chances that it's not wifi signal for internet but something eles that is transmitting the 2.5ghz signal like a baby monitor or something along thoes lines? at work there are a ton of wifi signals but none of them are actually used for hooking up to the web. but to talk to other devices that are on the same signal band.? just something to thing about.

12. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

Any chance the issue is related to the bug mentioned in the top article on eIC right now? iOS 6.0.2 Released With Wi-Fi Bug Fix

#12 emhcee, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

iOS 6.0.2 is being touted as a bug fix for unspecified WiFi issues. It's worth a try. My phone is updating as I type this. People are saying that the update will not download over the air and that iTunes is required to download it.

14. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Got it fixed.....had to do the forget network then do it again...Thanks for all of your help

15. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Got it fixed...had to do the forget this network thing then re do it ...Thanks for your help...

16. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Good news for a change, glad to hear it was something simple.

17. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

JWB Glad it was a simple fix! Enjoy your WiFi @ work. My job is too selfish to allow WiFi for us, only a select few.

18. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Is your work filtering access via device MAC addresses? Talk to whoever is in charge of administrating the network.