My new iPhone won't find my WiFi network

1. Spiritz

Spiritz New Member

Hello,
    My new iPhone won't find my home wifi network... It just don't appear in the network list.:(
    And my network is not securized at all...
    If someone could help me...
    Thank you !

2. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Try the following steps:

1- Make sure the wireless network setting on your iPhone is on.
    2- Shut iPhone off
    3- Shut modem off
    4- shut wireless router off

In this order do the following:

1- Turn modem back on and wait for all the normal lights to turn on and steady
    2- Turn router on and wait for all the normal lights to turn on and steady

3- Turn iPhone back on.

This procedure may help if the router and the iPhone where having a difficult time agreeing on an IP address

Good luck

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

doesn't sound like getting an IP was the problem (as it doesn't even see the network), but it's worth a shot.

maybe it's an 802.11n-only network?

6. Spiritz

Spiritz New Member

thanks

Hello,
    Thank you for your answer. I looked back before I wrote this quote... Of course... And the quote you sent me has no relation with my problem...
    Thanks anyway !

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  7. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

what router do you have?

8. Spiritz

Spiritz New Member

Hello,
    Thank you ! I think you understand my problem ! True, my home wifi is just not recognized by my I phone. It doesn't even recognize the routers of my neighbours...
    The modem/router I have is a Linksys WAG325N.
    Sorry, I don't really understand if it's 802.11n only network... Maybe yes, but what does it mean ?
    Thank you for your time !

9. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

Theres your problem. Thats a N router so hopefully it has G also or else you wont be able to connect with your iPhone. I'm not sure if you know the username and password to your router but go to 192.168.1.1 using your browser on your computer. Then try admin for both username and password unless you know what it is. Then click wireless and choose Mixed N and G.

10. Spiritz

Spiritz New Member

Hello,
    Thanks for your advices !
    In fact, my router was already on mixed mode. But I re-did the setup of my router. I only changed one parameter : The name of my network. There was a "é" in the name. I believe it was the problem...
    Thank you for you brilliant help !:)

11. kenneth

kenneth Zealot
    Gold

I had to call linksys and get them to reset, update, and test everything to get my iPhone to connect to my home wifi. Why won't a N router work? I was thinking about getting one for the speed boost and the range booster.

12. Tug

Tug Member
    Silver

I was just going to suggest calling Linksys, they have pretty good support and their open 24/7.

13. nerd

nerd New Member

I've had trouble using a password with my Linksys router. Tried all the protocols (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc). If you keep getting "unable to join" on your iPod touch/iPhone, you might try using a MAC filter instead of setting a password on your router. This is under "Wireless Settings" in the Linksys setup page, accessed by typing your IP address into your browser. The router can automatically detect the MAC addresses of devices trying to access the network, so you shouldn't need to go dig up the MAC addresses (although I had to manually enter my Tivo MAC address). Select "Enable", "Edit MAC Filter List", "Wireless Client Mac List", and "Permit only". Hope someone finds this helpful.

14. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

an 802.11n router will work just fine as long as it is set to create a "mixed" g/n network. If it creates an n-only network, g-devices won't see it. The benefit of creating an n-only network is that it'll be faster than a mixed one.

15. mbs3

mbs3 New Member

Possible fix For wifi detection problem

Hi I had this problem and tried everything that i found and it never work. But i finally got it and what happened was i had gotten my phone and restored it but forgot to set my email up... i tried for 3 days to get my wifi to work restored 2 more times reset the network settings 3 times even tried renaming the ssid name but nothing! then I realized my email wasn't set up, so i quickly did that over 3g then the wifi appeared and is working awesome now. So just make sure email is set up and if its not that may be your problem...if not it may be a hardware defect with the antenna and if you still have your warranty it should be covered to replace or be fixed by Apple

16. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Wow. There's a bug requiring email to enable wifi in some units?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

not that i've heard. could be a fluke incident.

18. JamesMB

JamesMB New Member
    Bronze

Email, has absolutely nothing to do with whether wifi will enable/connect.
    I have 2 iPhones, one with email, and one without, and wifi works on both of them just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

19. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I agree. Though I just a similar experience with my son's WiFi. It wouldn't let me on even though my iPhone recognized it. After fiddling with it for half an hour I accidentally hit my email. The iPhone immediately prompted me to enter the password and join! Strange.