My "NEW" phone is a "Refurb"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
Hi all,

I've had an iPhone since July , but I had to exchange it a couple of time due to call problems ... anyway .. the last time I exchanged it ... i received a new one in the original box ... on my way home , I noticed that the screensaver had a picture of some hot model and that there was an email account already saved in it ...

I thought that if they where to give me a refurb they couldn't package it in a new box ... maybe i was mistaken

What do you guys think

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Refubs come in white boxes; kind of hard to picture them send you one in an original box. Stranger things have happened though.

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
Haha ... thanks for responding guys ... i really don't care that its a refurb .. i just like to talk . .haha

I'm not sure if it was activated because the "genius" replaced my sim card and re-activated it with my account

haha ... yes and I'm glad it wasn't Steve Jobs too .. LOL

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Indirectly related story...

When I bought my MacBook, a month or so ago, the Apple associate said I could go online to get a refurbed model and that all computers sold in store were brand new. Meaning, NOT opened or initiated in any way. I was told this because I inquired into the Apple student discount and the associate told me the options to saving some money on Macs.

Anyway, when I got home and started to open the MacBook box, I realized the packing tape placed over the tab to hold the box closed looked "messy, misaligned, and double layered". I thought, "Hmm, that's odd to look that crappy coming from the factory brand new". Well, at this point I started to suspect what I had might be an opened box computer being sold as brand new.

Upon opening the box and inspecting everything inside I noted that my backup disc supplied with my system had numerous scratches on the bottom. Then when I inspected the MacBook itself, my fears were realized. I could see a lot of bottom case scratches, and smudges and scratches all around the trackpad. Obviously, this computer had been opened and used, then returned to Apple at some point, and resold to me as NEW!

Well, now I was pissed so I packed up the system and took it back to the store and went directly to the guy that sold me the system and just told him, you sold me a used computer. Well he tried to tell me that it was probably scratched while being shipped. LOL. Sure.

He swiftly went into the back of the store to locate me another MacBook, and before I left the store, I inspected it to be sure it was truly brand new.

Sure, just being opened and set up is more than likely in no way going to affect your system's performance, but aren't we as consumers protected in some way from this practice of buying "new" products and sold reboxed merchandise? And yes, I understand the iPhone from the OP was actually a replacedment for a defective phone, so it doesn't directly apply to that sencario.

ilLegalBeagle

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
You bring up a great point. Being SOLD something as new normally requires that it IS new. Being serviced under a warranty program for a new item often allows (under the terms and conditions of the warranty program) the vendor to replace a defective "NEW" product with a refurbished one.

So, you are right to point out that there may be a difference in treatment here between your case (new computer) vs. an iPhone warranty replacement. However, from a customer service standpoint, it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the consumer who may purchase a new product, return it within a week or two for a warranty issue, only to be provided a refurbished model for your "NEW" dollars.

I'm a lawyer (obviously) who does lots of contract work for businessses, and some of my work involves these kinds of questions (new vs. used replacements under warranty). But these deals are between two well-heeled businessses. Where customers are involved, the rules are seen differently.

Good luck to all with warranty problems! I haven't yet had to deal with that with my iPhone (and I hope not to have that experience!).

ilLegalBeagle

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Ya know, I've been thinking about this today and think it's complete BS!

If I walk into a store and buy a BRAND NEW iPhone, happily take that iPhone home activate it and use it for a couple hours or maybe even a few days and it messes up, I expect to be able to take it back to the store from where I purchased it and receive another BRAND NEW phone...

This is ridiculous people taking their iPhones back to the store due to a manufactuers defect and receiving a USED or REFURBED phone, how is that fair?

Tell you what when the day comes that I buy mine and if it does mess up I'll demand either a Fresh in the box phone or my refund....that's all;)

skinsgamer

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
I don't believe this story. Every time I have returned my iPhone the first thing the guy does is clear my memory. Its very easy to do right under settings. Even though the phones had been hacked before there is no way someone else could open it to have a different screensaver.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Ya know, I've been thinking about this today and think it's complete BS!

If I walk into a store and buy a BRAND NEW iPhone, happily take that iPhone home activate it and use it for a couple hours or maybe even a few days and it messes up, I expect to be able to take it back to the store from where I purchased it and receive another BRAND NEW phone...

This is ridiculous people taking their iPhones back to the store due to a manufactuers defect and receiving a USED or REFURBED phone, how is that fair?

Tell you what when the day comes that I buy mine and if it does mess up I'll demand either a Fresh in the box phone or my refund....that's all;)
I took mine back and rec'd a brand new one. I watched them get the key to unlock the counter that held the iPhones; take out my sim, insert into the new..... then punch some stuff into the computer so that my sim will be associated with the new phone and not still associated with the old.

I went home happy and synced.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I took mine back and rec'd a brand new one. I watched them get the key to unlock the counter that held the iPhones; take out my sim, insert into the new..... then punch some stuff into the computer so that my sim will be associated with the new phone and not still associated with the old.

I went home happy and synced.
Good to know!;)

You know what I mean though, if "I" did something to my phone being an idiot then that's my fault and I will just get a refurb that's "like" new or will buy a whole new phone, but when it's broke out of the box, NO, do not give me a used phone for being an innocent bystander...

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I feel what you're saying. Even before I brought the iPhone, I spent a LOT of time at the Apple store. I cant tell you how many people I watched walking out the door smiling from ear to freakin' ear; like they just rec'd a fat azz Publisher's Clearing House check from Ed McMahon- but all those teeth I saw were the result of their new iPhone purchases.

Now, lets talk about the ones that came in frowning cause their iPhone crapped out- they left smiling too. For many, it didn't matter that they were given a refurb. In their eyes, they weren't walking out with the one they walked in with.

When I needed to get a replacement, (I was still within my 14 days to return.) I had no intentions of walking out with a refurb while having only owned it a few days. Had that been the case, they could have kept the one they were going to give me and the one I had paid for.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I don't believe this story. Every time I have returned my iPhone the first thing the guy does is clear my memory. Its very easy to do right under settings. Even though the phones had been hacked before there is no way someone else could open it to have a different screensaver.
Heh. Exactly how many times have you returned your phone?

I wouldn't have believed I would have been sold a used computer that was represented as brand new from Apple, but...I was.(see my first post in this thread if you didn't already).

At the POS(point of sale), NEVER doubt you may not actually be getting what you paid for.

fedexgnd

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
I just received my iPhone back. The touchscreen wan't working on the top half. The iPhone they sent me was in a slim black iPhone box. Is this a brand new one or a refurb? My original was a series 7 now this is a series 5

Thanks in advance

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hum, when mine fried by sticking it into a Bose speaker stand, they "brought" me out another iPhone with no box and already activated. Hell I bet I got a refurbished one. Never even thought about it until I read this thred.

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
What reason would I have to lie? ... The 2 times that I have returned my phone , the "Genius" didn't do anything with it ... just put it back in the box and kept it behind the counter ... and there definitely was some info in there that shouldn't have been ...

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Heh. Exactly how many times have you returned your phone?

I wouldn't have believed I would have been sold a used computer that was represented as brand new from Apple, but...I was.(see my first post in this thread if you didn't already).

At the POS(point of sale), NEVER doubt you may not actually be getting what you paid for.

Recently I brought something from Walmart. Paid $149+tax. Got home, opened it up and discovered that this thing had already been opened, USED and re-wrapped; yet sold as "new."

Now Walmart is definitely no Apple, but the theory is still the same. Stores WILL sell you someone else's returned crap or opened boxes as new.

It's not like I picked this up off a shelf. You know Walmart keeps certain audio devices behind lock and key, so whoever stuck it in there was not some random customer that had that type of access.