My phone is bricked and seems overheated!, need quick tips

eguang

Oct 7, 2007
My apologies for another topic about the upgrade gone bad, but I have not read about anybody else having the same issue I am having. My phone is a V1, not jailbroken or tampered with.

The update downloaded fine to my laptop, it begun its installation, it begun saying that my phone was being prepared. Looked like the phone was restarting several times because windows kept saying that it had detected a new USB device. But eventually iTunes displayed an error message. It asked me if I wanted to notify Apple which I said yes. But can't remember the error number.

iTunes is fine, no issues opening it. But my phone just displays the iTunes icon and the USB cable icon. If I try to restart the phone it goes black, shoes the Apple for a couple of seconds and then it displays the iTunes and cable icons. When I plug it to my laptop with iTunes opened, it does not detect the phone. The phone feels very hot because it cannot be turned off and of course I cannot remove the battery.

I have rebooted my laptop a couple of times, I have switched USB ports. Any quick tips? based on previous experiences. Thanks

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Open iTunes with the phone disconnected. Hold down the Home button on the phone, and plug it in to your computer. iTunes should recognize it that way

eguang

Oct 7, 2007
Open iTunes with the phone disconnected. Hold down the Home button on the phone, and plug it in to your computer. iTunes should recognize it that way
Thanks but no cigar for me, holding down the home button did not make iTunes recognize the phone. But it made Windows (XP PRO SP3) recognize it. Some icon saying Apple boot recovery or something like that appeared in the bottom right corner of the screen but then the Found New Hardware wisard apppeared and I can't really do much with it.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Do a search on Google for DFU mode. Set your phone to that and iTunes should pick it up.

eguang

Oct 7, 2007
Something is "wrong" with iTunes. I downloaded the latest version yesterday. I think I successfuly put my phone in DFU mode. Widows Found New hardware wisard detects the USB connection and it tells me it is an USB DFU device. If I go to My computer/device manager it shows the yellow exclamation sign in USB DFU device. But iTunes just does not show it. :-(. I'll have to make a trip to the Apple store tomorrow.

bullguy

Mar 5, 2009
Dammam, Saudi arabia
you did a mistake by disconnecting the phone i had this same problem just leave the ipone for some time connected to the laptop then u will get a message saying u r phone is unlocked and it will start working normally

eguang

Oct 7, 2007
you did a mistake by disconnecting the phone i had this same problem just leave the ipone for some time connected to the laptop then u will get a message saying u r phone is unlocked and it will start working normally
Maybe!. Seems that something happened to my USB ports during the initial upgrade. As the upgrade process kept "restarting" my iPhone windows begun protesting about finding a new device. Then I got the error 1611. And from that point until now iTunes in my laptop has not recognized my iPhone (while windows has but erroring out) I unistalled and re-installed iTunes twice and still the same issue. There is an windows Apple service running that I restarted, I repaired from add/remove programs an Apple mobile device software. And nothing. What fixed my bricking issue was installing iTunes in a Win 7 netbook. I plugged my bricked iPhone in iTunes and immediately recognized it as being in recovery mode and gave the option to restore. It failed again with the 1611 error. The netbook was low in battery, I plugged the AC and tried to restore again. This time it performed the upgrade successfuly but of course none of my apps or configurations are in my phone. So I connected my recently upgraded iPhone to iTunes in my normal laptop and now it recognizes it but says that there is some software missing in my laptop and suggests I uninstall and re-install iTunes. So that is what I am currently doing while keeping my fingers crosssed :)