My phone shut down cant turn it on now

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jelcey

Jul 30, 2007
Hi I was just checking my mail and was just pressing the main menu button a notification came up with 2 buttons popped up with a little chime and before I can read it the phone just shut off. I was thinking it ran out of battery I have now plugged it in for 10 min and none of the buttons work or do anything.

I have not dropped my phone or anything I have had no problems with it till just about 30 mins ago. I bought it about a week after it first came out...

Anyone know what I should do?

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Was it still connected to a power source when you tried to turn it back on? I would just let it charge for a bit. Then try turning it on with it still connected to power. If it still doesn't come on, you may need to take it to an Apple store and have them take a look at it.

Jelcey

Jul 30, 2007
I plugged it to the wall for about 15 min now try to press buttons none of them work plugged and un plugged.

I know when I first plug it in before there would be the battery indicator on the screen but it isent happening with my phone when I plug it in...

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
try the reset yet? my second iPhone that was having trouble turned off and wouldn't try back on.

hold the home and sleep button for 8 seconds, make sure its 8 full seconds.

even if that works you should to a restore on that bad boy.

Jelcey

Jul 30, 2007
wow yeah thanks guys! it works now. That scared me why would it just shut of like that? I did not get any warning if it was low battery or anything. don't it tell you that the battery is low or something?

Is it bad to charge the iPhone even though it does not need to be charged... say its half charged but I want it fully charged. Do I wait till it is completely empty before I charge it back up or is it safe to charge anytime?

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Yeah i agree with the above. Doing a reset requires holding the home button and the sleep/wake button down until the Apple logo comes up. If the logo doesn't come up after atleast 10 seconds you definitely should bring it to where you bought if from. Hopefully it does work then run a restore.

Well before I could write a response you had it fixed. So for the battery it is okay for you to plug it in when it is half full. Try and not leave it plugged in once it is fully charged. Go ahead and do a search of the forum for battery. There is a great thread on good practices. I would paste a link but as usual I'm on the iPhone with no pasteing :(

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
wow yeah thanks guys! it works now. That scared me why would it just shut of like that? I did not get any warning if it was low battery or anything. don't it tell you that the battery is low or something?

Is it bad to charge the iPhone even though it does not need to be charged... say its half charged but I want it fully charged. Do I wait till it is completely empty before I charge it back up or is it safe to charge anytime?
Great! I'm glad it's working for you.

The battery indicator will turn red when the battery gets low. Also, at about 10 or 20%, it will notify you with onscreen messages that your battery is low and needs to be recharged. I believe the popup you saw was just that. To avoid problems like these I always charge my battery before it gets to that point because I hate needing to make a phone call and the battery goes dead.:)