My poor "dead" pixels...

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
I have a number of dead/dying/stuck/broken pixels in the upper left corner of my screen. There's also a line creeping across the top of the screen. I tried PixelMetrist from the Appstore...retarded app, anyway no luck with that.

Aside from taking my phone to the MacStore and paying $200 for a new phone, anyone have suggestions. I have a 1st Gen, by the way

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You could try manually replacing the LCD. I replaced the LCD and glass with digitizer on my 3G a few months back and it was actually not that difficult. I'm sure you can find an LCD on eBay for under $80.

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
Sounds doable, but the prospect of opening my phone and replacing the screen...scary. How did you open the case?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well it's slightly different for a v1 than it is for a 3G. The 3G had the convenient little screws at bottom. I believe the v1 requires a bit of shimmying using a flat edged object inside the dock connector and from there you pry off the black plastic bottom piece. It just snaps on and off I believe. From there you can just use the tiny little screwdriver and such and replace what you need.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
If you're jailbroken I saw an app today called "fixpixel" that's supposed to go through some sort of super fast strobe sequence to help stuck pixels get unstuck. Could be worth a try.

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
I checked 'fixpixel' out, but my problem is that the dead pixels are up at the very top. Where the status bar is. This is retarded

Attachments

Dec 8, 2008
N
I barely saw anything and ots only in top left

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, that's because I'm smart enough to know how the phone's auto-capture works...but dumb enough to think that it would show pixels which are related to the screen.

Sorry.