My Prediction

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Ok so I have a prediction for the new iPhone and it might make a lot of you unhappy. This is not based off of any rumors or facts really for that matter, its exclusively my opinion so please don't flame me lol.

I think that we will be getting a 32GB 3G in June or sometime during the summer and the next generation iPhone won't be released until a later date such as november-decemeber or maybe even 2010.

Reason: I think the new iPhone will be completely remade with completely new innovation to compete with other phones. As you remember the first iPhone did this. The 3G did not because it only added two features that the first gen didn't have: 3G and GPS. There was also new software but this was compatible with the first iPhone so all was fine and dandy. I really think that there will be such a big hardware change (most likely for multitasking) that there will be a new breed of iPhone and it will not use the same software as the other two generations, just like how there is different software for different ipods. I also believe that Apple will hold off because wireless providers are testing out their 4G and they don't want to do what they did with the first iPhone, and leave out a very important aspect to a smartphone--fast internet.

Summary: The next generation iPhone is not coming out this summer and will be released at a later due to a major overhall in hardware/software.

Note: I could be WAYYY off and this is probably just wishful thinking but it still is possible ;)

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I disagree with your opinion but it is interesting thought I suppose. What is the status of 4g technology in the US? I wouldn't think 4g is just down the road seeing as AT&T is still working on getting 3g coverage everywhere and T-Mobile just began rolling out their 3g network. Seems kind of senseless to me to waste so much time and money on 3g technology if 4g is just a year away.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, I agree... I don't think 4G will be the holdup for the next phone. Or two or three, even.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
With the exception of the 4g I think Stfle has made some substative points. With the Palm on the prowl with the Pre and Rim always pushing forward Apple better be thinking way ahead.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I agree. The cell phone market is different than other electronic markets. They are used on such a daily even hourly basis that new cell phones are constantly in demand. People just get sick of their phones too fast. If they don't update every year then people will start experimenting with other phones for the simple fact that they want something new.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I left off the competition that Android will bring to the market place.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yeah I think the 4G is just wishful thinking, but I do know that it has been successfuly tested. And I'm thinking maybe even June 2010 which is like a year and a half lol
http://i.gizmodo.com/5052347/lte-downloads-cute-animal-pictures-at-170mbps-while-driving-40mph
http://gizmodo.com/5084435/htc-max-4g-is-worlds-first-gsmwimax-cellphone-ups-iphone-one-g
http://i.gizmodo.com/5106421/verizon-rolling-out-superfast-lte-mobile-broadband-next-freakin-year
4G isn't exactly far away. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and in reality, the next iPhone will just be able to take advantage of 3G (a little higher speeds).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's going to be a long, hot summer one way or another :)

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I disagree with the OP by personal opinion. ;)

Ok.....so maybe I just disagree because I don't want to believe it! So what! :p

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
With the exception of 4G, I think Styfle may be spot on with the assessment. Soon after the 3G was released, I said that I believe the next phone will knock your socks off. I also said I was not getting the 3G because I wanted to be eligible to upgrade. That didn't last long, but I do believe the next phone will be a killer and spring/summer of 2010 doesn't sound too far fetched.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't think they can wait that long. This summer is going to be rife with competition, and you simply can't sit on your laurels in this industry, no matter how much of a head start you think you have.

*cough*nokia*cough*

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I don't think they can wait that long. This summer is going to be rife with competition, and you simply can't sit on your laurels in this industry, no matter how much of a head start you think you have.

*cough*nokia*cough*
Hope you are right, but it wouldn't surprise me if all we see is a 32GB 3G.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
My prediction: Apple will be manufacturing the next gen iPhone the same way they manufacture the new MacBooks.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
iiiiiinteresting. I guess once you got the shop setup, it's not too expensive to tweak it for another line...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Just as long as they dump the plastic. That was a big part in why I opted out on the 3G.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Just as long as they dump the plastic. That was a big part in why I opted out on the 3G.
And if they must use plastic, use higher quality or slightly different design that doesn't crack. ;)

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007

*cough*nokia*cough*
I suspect at least a bit faster processor and more RAM, Apple surely won't sit this fight out while everyone else passes them by.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
We should start up a betting pool for when it comes out. I'll collect the money. I've got $20 down for first week of July.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
LOL I'm not betting on this. I just made this thread so I can link back to it when I'm right (or delete it if I'm wrong). But anywho, I just want to see Apple make a new phone and not just add 2 pieces of hardware and call it the next gen...