My predictions, based on lots of studying

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I don't feel like gathering up all the sources I've read, but after lots of reading and feeling out what's true or not, here are all the popular rumors about the new iPhone followed by my opinion of what percent probability it has of being true:

3G - 99.9%
Released in June - 95%
Plastic back - 90%
Dual camera/video recorder (front and back) - 85%
Wider ear speaker - 85%
Rounded back - 85%
Multiple color availability - 80%
32gb hard drive or larger - 70%
GPS - 50%
Sold unlocked for higher price - 35%
Solar charging - 10% (this I think will be for the NEXT next iPhone)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Heh, interesting. I would agree with most of them. I would knock the plastic back and dual cameras down on the list a bit and raise the >32gb thing. GPS and the unlock should be higher, too, imo.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't feel like gathering up all the sources I've read, but after lots of reading and feeling out what's true or not, here are all the popular rumors about the new iPhone followed by my opinion of what percent probability it has of being true:

3G - 99.9%
Released in June - 95%
Plastic back - 90%
Wider ear speaker - 85%
Rounded back - 85%
GPS - 50%
3G - 99.9%
Released in June - 98%
Plastic back - 80%
Dual camera/video recorder - US has NO need for this at all....not interesting for anyone in the US - 35% (Maybe for other countries)
wider ear speaker - 80%
32GB - 85%
GPS - 99.9% (did oyu forget we have already seen the code for it...I have with my own eyes)
sold for unlocked in US - .00004% (they have an AT&T contract until 2012)
Solar charging - I hope it's 0% because solar charging isn't worth it (solar cells or inefficient at that size)

Just my opinions really. You got most of it. I think the camera and GPS are way off, but hey what do I know :p

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
GPS - 99.9% (did oyu forget we have already seen the code for it...I have with my own eyes)
http://iphonity.com/?q=node/23

That link is main reason for giving it so low a probability, despite all the talk I've heard that it will "definitely" have it. Remember, it could have A-GPS, which is used for emergency locating, but I don't think that that means that it is the full GPS.

Dual camera/video recorder - US has NO need for this at all....not interesting for anyone in the US - 35% (Maybe for other countries)
http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/05/28/griffin.exposes.3g.iPhone/
http://gizmodo.com/391960/iphone-3g-launch-date-confirmed

Look at those two links. The gizmodo one shows the video camera on the front, and the macnn one shows how the case is built with a wider ear piece section to accommodate the video recorder. This is why I gave it such a high probability, since two separate and historically reliable sources seem to be confirming it.

By the way, I'd trade the lame front video camera for GPS any day, so I hope I'm wrong about all this.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
All phones have A-GPS anyway as part of a law passed a few years ago. I never saw that rumor, but GPS coding is in the iPhone 2.0 software. http://blogs.computerworld.com/iPhone_gps

The camera thing may end up like the N95 or other devices, where they just don't include it in the US version. I agree though, I'd way rather have a usefull GPS then have a small amount of people I can video conference with and probably pay extra for the service :(

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
No GPS means no new iPhone for me.
And I am sure for A LOT more people as well. If they are stupid enough not to include GPS along with 3G then Apple is not as smart as we think they are.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
And I am sure for A LOT more people as well. If they are stupid enough not to include GPS along with 3G then Apple is not as smart as we think they are.
Or are they....

Remember how critical everyone was last year when Apple didn't include 3G when most other phones already had it? I also thought Apple wasn't very smart and that a lot of people would avoid buying it that time around, including myself. You know how far I made it? About 3pm on iDay and I was in line.

This is their trick. Everyone says "Ah, no 3G? No one will buy it!" but then people do anyway because how much more advanced the phone is in nearly every other aspect. And then this year it's the same thing, "Ah, no GPS?" and yet watch how many people will buy it anyway, just because it has 3G this time.

And next year, here comes GPS. And everyone buys again.

Their trick is leaving out a huge key feature so that they can get people to buy the next iPhone. As soon as they include everything possible, there's no longer any reason to upgrade.

(This is all of course assuming there's no GPS, which I think there's still a big chance it will have.)

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
You forgot the infamous copy and paste at 80%

Ok, and a new phone with the only different being 3G and cosmetic changes? No way. It will have GPS, its inevitable.

Its simple science, evolution.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
"It has no GPS module and positioning could only be done via GSM, 3G or WiFi networks, just like in old version" - said engineer, whose name we can't disclose.

Haha, Number 1 clue he is full of crap, this guy has never touched even an old version of the iPhone.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I really hope that the iPhone stays the same cosmetically, cause thats one of the reasons if not the main one what attracted me to the iPhone! I prefer a flat back, opposed to the curved, and their sure as h311 better not be a plastic back cause that is so cheap and a step back in my opinion.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I really hope that the iPhone stays the same cosmetically, cause thats one of the reasons if not the main one what attracted me to the iPhone! I prefer a flat back, opposed to the curved, and their sure as h311 better not be a plastic back cause that is so cheap and a step back in my opinion.
But Apple always seems to make their products to feel solid. If the back is plastic, I bet it will be a heavy, hard plastic that will stand up to a lot of abuse.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you mean the plastic they used to use on ipods? that stuff held up REALLY well...

in Apple's whole line of products, which still have plastic casing? The white macbooks are pretty much it. there's no reason for them to go back.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
But Apple always seems to make their products to feel solid. If the back is plastic, I bet it will be a heavy, hard plastic that will stand up to a lot of abuse.
I forgot about the iPod plastic, I was thinking about the plastic that were probably used in some glossy laptop computer. But the iPod hard plastic, I think polycarbonate, would be ok, but I'll always prefer the bezel:cool:

sme636500

Aug 15, 2007
California
I think that's a pretty good prediction, but I really hope it does NOT have a plastic back. If its plastic, I think it'll feel and look cheaper, and it'll get scratched up easier.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank

3G - 99.9%
Released in June - 95%
Plastic back - 90%
Wider ear speaker - 85%
Rounded back - 85%
GPS - 50%

It would be nice if the back of the iPhone wasn't made of plastic, but even if it is, im sure Apple would make it look nice and strong and not cheap...also if they made it as durable as the iPod plastic, that would be pretty good too.