My procrastinating is getting horrid!

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
My procrastinating is getting really bad to where it's been like a month since school started and I'm already failing 2 classes! What's odd is that the most important subject to me that being geometry is one of the classes I'm failing :(
-What happens is that when I get home I'm too tired to do any work then end up falling asleep, I wake up check EiC and some other forums and check text messages, appstore, etc that basically just keeps me entertained/busy throughout the evening...

I tell myself that my gonna do my homework or whatever, then next thing ya kno it's like 12:00am and I'm sleepy again telling myself that I'll do it in the morning haha! Then fast forward to the end of the school day I. Their trying to finish my math homework right before it's due :mad:

I really need help and advice to deal with my procrastinating cause it never was this bad if not even existent last year(sophomore), now it seems my body is tired or some lack of motivation
-can you recommend anything that helped you with procrastinating
- any apps that may be available to help

Btw something weird is just happening to me when it comes to Geometry... Last year I passed both semesters of algebra with an A... Then I start geometry and don't know WTF I'm doing :eek:

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
The only person that can stop you from reaching your dreams is you.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Hey PDS, I wondered where you'd been lately. It sounds like you're going to need to use the same type of discipline you've used in bodybuilding and working to earn your iPhone. The rewards just won't be as immediate or palpable, but they WILL be. This is oh so much more important. It's easier to discipline yourself to get to the gym when you can see weekly progress. School? Not so much. Find a way to motivate yourself to "get er done", like refusing to allow yourself to check forums or start texting until your homework is done. There's no easy way around it; you have to make yourself do it. But learn to kick this procrastination habit in the butt now, or it could become a lifelong habit which will prevent you from accomplishing many of your goals in the future. As Nike says, Just Do It. ;)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Buffy is right.

Also-make yourself a schedule. School, work, homework, working out, EIC, etc. You can do it!

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
Dude, go through the withdrawal and go to a local starbucks/cafe/library every day without your iPhone (painful I know) and sit and do your homework. If you stay at home Disconnect your computer by having someone in your house hide the power cord/battery (if it is a laptop, or just the monitor cord if desktop) and give them your iPhone (painful I know) until you are done with your homework, then ask for it back. If you need to use the internet for homework... then do it school. Also you have 3259 posts in 6 months... wow! That is approximately 18 posts a day!

Good luck I hope it works out for you!

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
keep procrastinating
if you want to never amount to anything.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Go with what Lisa said and make a schedule. I did that (back when I didn't really need one, but still) and today I procrastinate none. Here's mine:

• Wake up at 6:20, leave around 7:20
• Check email periodically throughout the day for reported posts on EIC, deal with them
• Get home, and I do all of my homework, right then. Personal stuff comes after homework.
• Check EIC, etc.
• Eat dinner
• Study for tests, if I have any
• Try to go to bed no later than 10:30, and do not get up to do anything in the night.

This has, in the past few years, resulted in very good grades and a lot less of being tired. Also, make sure your computer/phone/whatever isn't in use while doing homework. I occasionally listen to music so long as I'm not doing Geometry, but I do not use the computer, reply to texts, IM's, etc. Organizations seems to help me a lot to. I have an individual binder for every class, making it a lot less likely to forget, loose, etc, homework. Also, I'm not sure if your school offers this, but we get a planner at the beginning of the year. If you don't have one, get one and use it. I write in mine every day for every class and it helps tremendously.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I have something to add, but I'll tell you later.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Sell your iPhone. obviously you cant handle it. If you could you would buget your time like you do your money (hopefully) and a lot certain amount of times to accomplish certain things in your evening... schedule it out like you do your workout.....

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
Get a prescription for Adderall XR.
LOL ^^ That was a good one.

I find myself in your same shoes PDS, except I am 33 not 16. I started my own online businesss about 5 years ago and it became VERY successful very quickly. I got used to playing golf every day and not working. I can honestly say I haven't put in a 20 hour week in about 3 years. Because of my complacency and addiction to golf my businesss has slipped dramatically (I did break par ONCE though, 69 :)).

After taking my time off im finding it very hard to get motivated to get back to working again. Im seriously broke now (my income no longer matches my huge bills) and gotta get going again.

Heres the worst part for me, I WORK ON THE INTERNET! There are so many damn distracions. Forums, Games, Online Poker, etc, etc, etc. I sit down to work and find myself 4 hours later in the internet hole, then my girlfriend comes home and wants ho hang out, sigh. I don't really have any answers for you, just wanted to let you know you arent the only one.

Love to hear some great motivational suggestions myself.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
LOL ^^ That was a good one.

I find myself in your same shoes PDS, except I am 33 not 16. I started my own online businesss about 5 years ago and it became VERY successful very quickly. I got used to playing golf every day and not working. I can honestly say I haven't put in a 20 hour week in about 3 years. Because of my complacency and addiction to golf my businesss has slipped dramatically (I did break par ONCE though, 69 :)).

After taking my time off im finding it very hard to get motivated to get back to working again. Im seriously broke now (my income no longer matches my huge bills) and gotta get going again.

Heres the worst part for me, I WORK ON THE INTERNET! There are so many damn distracions. Forums, Games, Online Poker, etc, etc, etc. I sit down to work and find myself 4 hours later in the internet hole, then my girlfriend comes home and wants ho hang out, sigh. I don't really have any answers for you, just wanted to let you know you arent the only one.

Love to hear some great motivational suggestions myself.
What is your businesss?
Maybe i want to start one and play golf son

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
TyWebb-
I am not sure how we can help you get motivated. But I will give you some suggestions, since you asked.

1. Block your own computer. Like parental controls for yourself. Lock down the computer you work on except for sites you need to access for work.
2. Schedule fun and work. Seriously. Use your iPhone, if you like to play with techy stuff.
3. Stick to the schedule.
4. Reward yourself for sticking to the schedule. You do not seem to want to work, so give yourself one day off work for sticking to your schedule for 1 week. (that is one example)

Congrats on the 69! I shot a 92 and 99 this weekend. My lowest score is 86. Due to work and family commitments I cannot play golf everyday. But I certainly do play all weekend and I practice a couple nights/week after work.

Good luck with getting your arse back to working!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Go with what Lisa said and make a schedule. I did that (back when I didn't really need one, but still) and today I procrastinate none. Here's mine:

• Wake up at 6:20, leave around 7:20
• Check email periodically throughout the day for reported posts on EIC, deal with them
• Get home, and I do all of my homework, right then. Personal stuff comes after homework.
• Check EIC, etc.
• Eat dinner
• Study for tests, if I have any
• Try to go to bed no later than 10:30, and do not get up to do anything in the night.

This has, in the past few years, resulted in very good grades and a lot less of being tired. Also, make sure your computer/phone/whatever isn't in use while doing homework. I occasionally listen to music so long as I'm not doing Geometry, but I do not use the computer, reply to texts, IM's, etc. Organizations seems to help me a lot to. I have an individual binder for every class, making it a lot less likely to forget, loose, etc, homework. Also, I'm not sure if your school offers this, but we get a planner at the beginning of the year. If you don't have one, get one and use it. I write in mine every day for every class and it helps tremendously.
That is great advice! This exactly how how I approached my days in high school and college (though I admit slipping a bit in college - I was far too excited to finally be away from my parents). This method got me into my first-choice Ivy League university and a real job in hand several months before graduating from college.

I have something to add, but I'll tell you later.
Good one! :p

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
That is great advice! This exactly how how I approached my days in high school and college (though I admit slipping a bit in college - I was far too excited to finally be away from my parents). This method got me into my first-choice Ivy League university and a real job in hand several months before graduating from college.

Good one! :p
I think everyone slips whether it's in high school, college, or life after college. Once you realize you've slipped the really hard part is buckling back down and getting back into a schedule/routine. I slipped up in college, but luckily got my stuff back together. I lost a state scholarship, and it cost me a lot of money in tuition, but I made it through. I am sure PDS and TyWebb will pull through, too. But internal motivation, not external, is what is needed. Sometimes a kick in the butt is needed to get the internal motivation started, but it has to come from within.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I procrastinated soo much my sophomore year (i am a junior now) and i hadnt procrastinated much in freshmen year. my best and favorite subject is normally math but i ended up with a c 1st semester last year. But then i realized how important getting good grades was and stepped up my act. I got an A second semester:)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Ugh I have such a terrible time with procrastination and if you don't do anything to correct the issue now, it will only continue to get worse. High school was a joke for me, even with several AP classes per semester so I never "learned how to study". It might seem weird, but I just never knew how to properly study, whether it was reading books, making outlines or anything involved with studying. When I got to college, I was in my General Chemistry 1 class, went to the first exam after having done absolutely no studying and got a 65%, not quite coasting.

Lesson to learn: start forcing yourself to do things now because once you get into a groove it will get a lot easier to stick in it.