My "push" ToDo solution

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I've found a GREAT ToDo "semi-push" alternative. I installed ToDo by Appigo software onto the iPhone. I also signed up for a Jott account. I had installed Jott on the iPhone, but I later discovered that the Jott app itself is not necessary on the iPhone. Then I signed up for a Toodledo account online (another alternative is Remember The Milk, but I prefer Toodledo...it's personal preference).

Here's how it works. Jott is a service that you can call up on the phone, it will listen to what you dictate, and it will then transcribe your spoken words and then inserts them into various apps. I went to my online Jott account, and set it up to "push" my tasks to my Toodledo account. I set it up so that when I call Jott on their toll free phone number, it asks me what I want to do, and when I say "New Tasks", it listens, transcribes, and then "pushes" the transcription to my Toodledo account.

Next, I have my ToDo (by Appigo software) app on my iPhone set up so sync with my Toodledo account. I press the sync button on the ToDo app, and voila! My tasks magically appear in my ToDo task list.

So picture this. I'm driving down the highway, when I suddenly remember I need to set up a meeting to discuss the company pension plan with our advisors. I tap the Jott speed dial button on my iPhone. Jott answers and says "What do you want to do?" I say "New Task". Then I hear: BEEP. I say "Set up meeting to discuss pension plan", and hang up.

In the background, Jott transcribes my dictation, and pushes it to Toodledo.

Later, when I'm reviewing my ToDo's, I tap the sync button on the Todo app, it syncs with my Toodledo account, and presto, my task item appears. I make the call and set up the meeting.

But better still: another task appears that I had completely forgotten about: Buy gift for wife's birthday. Whew! Saved from disaster!

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Hi thanks for sharing your story with us on the EIC. It never ceases to amaze me how everyday users can employ their own ingenuity to overcome the weaknesses of the iPhone. Good luck with it! I am hoping that Apple will offer something more simple.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I've found a GREAT ToDo "semi-push" alternative. I installed ToDo by Appigo software onto the iPhone. I also signed up for a Jott account. I had installed Jott on the iPhone, but I later discovered that the Jott app itself is not necessary on the iPhone. Then I signed up for a Toodledo account online (another alternative is Remember The Milk, but I prefer Toodledo...it's personal preference).

Here's how it works. Jott is a service that you can call up on the phone, it will listen to what you dictate, and it will then transcribe your spoken words and then inserts them into various apps. I went to my online Jott account, and set it up to "push" my tasks to my Toodledo account. I set it up so that when I call Jott on their toll free phone number, it asks me what I want to do, and when I say "New Tasks", it listens, transcribes, and then "pushes" the transcription to my Toodledo account.

Next, I have my ToDo (by Appigo software) app on my iPhone set up so sync with my Toodledo account. I press the sync button on the ToDo app, and voila! My tasks magically appear in my ToDo task list.

So picture this. I'm driving down the highway, when I suddenly remember I need to set up a meeting to discuss the company pension plan with our advisors. I tap the Jott speed dial button on my iPhone. Jott answers and says "What do you want to do?" I say "New Task". Then I hear: BEEP. I say "Set up meeting to discuss pension plan", and hang up.

In the background, Jott transcribes my dictation, and pushes it to Toodledo.

Later, when I'm reviewing my ToDo's, I tap the sync button on the Todo app, it syncs with my Toodledo account, and presto, my task item appears. I make the call and set up the meeting.

But better still: another task appears that I had completely forgotten about: Buy gift for wife's birthday. Whew! Saved from disaster!
I was flip-flopping between Things and ToDo, and ended up buying Things. Now I may have to buy ToDo! :)

Talutha

Jul 17, 2007
I just set this up on my phone exactly how you described it and it is amazing! Thank you for posting this as it will be an invaluable method to organizing my life =).