My RadioShack iPhone Experience aka Gettin' Screwed 2010

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
That's exactly why I've stopped going to Radio Shack 15 years ago. They are the ghetto K-mart and I can't even believe Apple is allowing their product to be sold There

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
They don't call it Radio Shanty for no reason.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
here's my personal suggestion. If everyone in this thread emails RadioShack.Customer.Care@RadioShack.com and let them know about the customer service horror story you just read about, I am quite sure that the corporate office will look into it.

Being that I work for a company that has more privately own stores than company owned ( 5 to 1 ratio) I know that to a large degree, the corporation cannot do much to a private owner. However, if the private owner's businesss practices are giving the corporation a bad name, the corporation has a right to step in and rectify the situation, including buying out the owner, and setting someone else up in his place.
Time to rattle some chains people.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here's my email to them:

"
from
Hawk to
RadioShack.Customer.Care@radioshack.com
date
Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:48 AMsubject
Horrible customer service.

To the members of Radio Shack Customer Service.

I just wanted to bring to your attention a horror story I just read about on an iPhone forum concerning the following Radio Shack location:

BEL AIR-HARFORD
#01-2460
HARFORD MALL
664 BALTO PIKE STE C
BEL AIR, MD 21014
Phone: (410) 879-6588

Apparently, the store's employees were more interested in placing pre-orders for the iPhone 4 for friends and family members, than the individuals that actually showed up at the 1:00PM time to place their pre-orders. It's reported that one employees was using 2 terminals to register 19 friends and family members.
The 2 customers got there at 1:00pm and the first customer got his PIN at 1:01pm. The second individual wasn't registered for about another hour and half later.
When the phones arrived the next day, the person that was registered at 2:30pm talked to the store and was told that 3 phone came in and 2 were for others that pre-ordered earlier, and the 3rd one was for his friend that registered at 1:01pm.
When the customer that registered at 1:01pm called up, he was told that only 2 phones showed up and he would have to wait for more to arrive. This is all too well documented by the customers for it to be an exaggerated claim.

Now I know that the store is most likely a franchised location, but this kind of treatment is why I personally will NEVER shop at radio shack. I also know that this was not the only location that took preferential treatment to their own employees over the customer, and the customer suffers for it.

I write to you to bring this to your attention in hopes that you do the right thing and attend to this particular problem. It would restore my faith in your company. If not, then I am happy to be vocal about how you wouldn't do anything to take care of your customers, leaving them at the mercies of crooked franchise owners (God help you if that location is corporately owned).
I will be monitoring this closely through the 2 customers. I have also urged others to express their outrage concerning this matter as well. I am not the only one that feels like this need immediate resolution.

Sincerely,

Hawk"

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The Response:

"Dear Hawk,
We appreciate the time you took to write us concerning your shopping experience at RadioShack. Your information has been forwarded to the District Office in your area for resolution. Our goal is to contact you within two businesss days. Should you need further assistance, feel free to email or contact us at 800-843-7422.

Sincerely,
Customer Escalation Team"

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I agree, Radio Shack sucks, I went in over a week ago to buy a Pre Plus, and they not only took two hours to process the upgrade, they forced me into a limited data plan. After giving up on the phone I returned it and the employee was clueless as to weather he is supposed to make a call or if I had to. So he says a few minutes later, it's important that you call so that your upgrade status is rolled back. Cool, I drive off to Best Buy and call AT&T, not only were THEY supposed to call their own internal department that processes upgrade rollbacks within 3 days of return but they were supposed to grandfather me into a unlimited plan regardless of going from a iPhone to a Pre Plus. I am never going back to Radio Crap again.

dawiyo

Bronze
Dec 2, 2007
Bel Air, MD
www.pier23studio.com
Thanks Hawk for bringing another voice to mine an my friend Russell's situation. I have kept quiet in this thread because of my back and forth contact with RadioShack corporate in Fort Worth and local to the Baltimore area. I felt it would be rude of me to post the emails and wanted to give RS the chance to make things right. The corporate office was quite upset with what happened with Russell and myself's situation. Of course, they have had stern stance on how this wasn't their fault with inventory, but were apologetic towards how we, more specifically Russell, was treated over the phone as well as the fact employees had been given reserve spots before customers, which is a voilation of company policy. Russell got a call from the district manager stating how we would have access to the next two phones that came into the area. They even asked him if he'd upgrade to a 32gb, would he be willing to pay the difference; rude if you ask me. In the end, I will probably still show at RadioShack for the things it originally was opened for, small electronic parts. I've learned the hard way that no phones should be sold at RadioShack as the iPhone is not the only failed phone product launch/line they've carried. They're just not ready to do that quite yet however I doubt they or any 3rd party retailer ever will.

Unless I get a call from the district manager today stating he has a phone in hand, it now makes more sense to get up early and go sit on a sidewalk, which is what I'll do tomorrow morning at AT&T.

billinaz

Bronze
Jan 27, 2008
I just emailed them as well, maybe they will get a feeling of how your email is viewed worldwide when they get dozens (ifnot more) of them!

dawiyo

Bronze
Dec 2, 2007
Bel Air, MD
www.pier23studio.com
Okay, just wanted to reply to put an end to this thing. I went to an AT&T store tuesday morning the 29th and stood in line before the store opened. I got there three people too late but was put on a waiting list for later that day. I went back after lunchtime and got my phone, no problems. All they had were 16gbs and I wanted a 32gb, oh well.

On July 2nd, I got a call from the local RadioShack store telling me that mine and my friends "pre-ordered" phones were in. I informed the manager of the store that I had went with AT&T and got a phone without a problem. He said "Thanks and we'll release your phone to the next pre-order." Thinking in the back of my mind that I still wanted a 32gb, I told him that my friend was regretting only ordering a 16gb and please offer my 32gb to him. I called up my friend, and said I'll give you $100 difference, buy the bigger one and we'll swap SIM cards and you can have mine.

I sold my 3GS locally on Craigslist for $275 while Russell is in the process of selling his off Craigslist today too. He picked up the 32gb and yesterday we swapped SIMs and all is well.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Glad things are settled for you, but I still think Radio Shack Corp needs to take care of that particular store. Horribly run.