My ringtones returned with iOS 8.1.2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Adriano73, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

Yay! I finally got my ringtones back!!! All my Star Wars alert tones are too!

This will be a day long remembered!

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I hadn't heard of this issue before today. Then again, I haven't purchased a ringtone is a couple of years.

So... ringtones that customers have made themselves were not disappearing... but purchased ones were? I'm not surprised that Apple ran and fixed the one thing that could discourage customers from spending money at the iTunes Store.

Adriano, here's a link that you might like: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-make-ringtones-for-iphone/

3. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah they would download and everything would be fine until you restarted your iPhone for any reason then they were gone!

And thanks for the link I DO like it!

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

:D :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Forbes reports that purchased ringtone recovery (and prevention from future deletion, I hope?) is the only thing addressed by this iOS update... anyone have any knowledge to the contrary?

Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 7.02.15 PM.png

This seems sloppy... 28.2 MB of code and that only addresses the problem halfway. The user still has to do all of the following (for users who never synced the ringtones to their computer):

x.png
    ... And the fun may not even end there. Apple added a little "appendix" at the end of these instructions just in case the above steps simply fail.

y.jpg What's that? Another hyperlink taking you to another site to direct you to perform additional steps, Apple?

Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 7.16.03 PM.png

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

f4kkd.jpg

:D

8. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Is Apple still signing 8.1.1? I need to jailbreak but can't do so until Thursday.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

http://ipsw.me

Yes.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No worries. There's a jailbreak for every iOS 8 version there is, including the one that Apple just released a couple days ago (8.1.2).

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

No Mac yet for 8.1.1 correct?

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

No. Only 8.1

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

More criticism of this recent "update," courtesy of Forbes.

And I couldn't agree more with them. It's just like I said yesterday; they rushed to fix the one bug that could affect their bottom line, turning a blind eye to everything else.

From their article yesterday:

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Or you could cue up your favorite playlist, grab a six-pack and go with the adventurous route—it's totaly free.

You rebels always find a way to get your JB fix :)

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm still waiting for my badge notification on the Settings app to tell me that I have a pending iOS update. You may recall I mentioned that this is the perfect opportunity for me to determine how long it takes the badge notication to appear on the Settings app to inform the user they're an update pending, so I'm waiting until I get a straight answer.

I'm in no hurry to get 8.1.2. As I stated before, iOS 8.1.2 brings nothing that I need to the table, and I've noticed I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I did, however, notice a potentially glaring mistake in the way Apple is expecting us to install this software update (8.1.2) to recover ringtones. When I go to General > Software Update, I see this screen:

Screen (a) update1.jpg - click to enlarge

Notice that the screen doesn't specify which step should be performed first: (a) going to that website to restore your ringtones, or (b) updating iOS to update to iOS 8.1.2

Clueless as to which of these things I should do first, I tried tapping on the website mentioned in the screen (a) above but I'm told that I must first download/install iOS 8.1.2:

Screen (b) must update first.jpg - click to enlarge

Let's pretend I perform the update to iOS 8.1.2. (I still haven’t, but let's just pretend that I did.) I return to Safari on my iPhone after (hypothetically) performing the iOS 8.1.2 updating, expecting, reasonably enough, that the URL to restore ringtones is still be there. It isn't. It's gone. Since the update has been performed, I can’t see screen (a) again with the URL that is aboslutely necessary for the second step of the the restore ringtones update. If Apple was going to briefly display the URL I had to visit to restore ringtones (after updating to 8.1.2) and then take it away, why didn't they ask me to (a) Write the URL down on a piece of paper, because you will need it after updating to iOS 8.1.2 to complete the restoration of any vanished ringtones you may be experienced? (b) at the very least, they could have asked me to take a screenshot of the URL while it was still visible. They didn't do that either.

With the URL now gone, how am I supposed to find it?

Does Apple expect me to go to Google and find it there? Sloppy!

Luckily, I'm not affected by this disappearing ringtone issue, but I'm commiserating with those who are...

At least one user right here on eiC had to go Googling for a response.

had to Google.png

^^ Long story short, why are Apple users having to resort to Google searches to find instructions? Maybe the iOS Update to 8.1.2 should have included this URL. I'm hoping explained myself well...

Basically, the URL you will need to visit after updating is only displayed while going to Settings > General > Software Update. But once you update by tapping on "Download ans Install," you will no longer see the URL. You will only have it if you were smart enough to write it down on a piece of paper. Apple certainly didn't warn you that you should so this.

I think Apple is slacking. The bugs, situations, or anomalies in any given release of iOS should be solved by another software update. The end users shouldn't have to resort to Googling for a response. While some of the veteran iOS users might be able to do this with their eyes closed, the Average Joe or Jane out there may get shafted because he or she is not computer literate enough to solve the matter which Apple just threw out at everyone as a sloppy, half-baked iOS update.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone, I will gladly rephrase any sentences I have written that may have been too technical.

#15 Rafagon, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Thanks. My eyes are bugging out.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just proofread the whole thing and changed a couple words here and there in an effort to be ultra clear. Please don't hesitate to call me out any sloppy and/or ambiguous writing. I'll be happy to do clarify. I need caffeine. I shouldn't have engaged in writing a lengthy post so quicly after waking up. I'm not a morning person but my anger at this latest POS iOS 8.1.2 update is just getting the best of me.

You may or may not have read a post elsewhere write I stated I've yet to update to iOS 8.1.2. I want that damn badge on the Settings app to turn to "1". I'm bugged, a little bit—usually notifications end up as a badge on their respective app rather immediately. Take Words With example. If I make a move and if I dare wait 8 to 10 hours before my next move is due, I'm jabbed in the ribs with a red-hot poker to remind me to make my move.

Okay, maybe not a red-hot poker, buuuut... I get notified rather promptly.

I still confused as to why Apple doesn't have this Notification badge for Settings display within 30 - 40 minutes, the way practically every other app behaves.

Our believed Mindy did say that it might take a few days for the badge to show up, and I trust her with my iOS issues... so I'll be in a holding pattern waiting for Apple to push out the Notification to the Settings app and then, and only then, will I update to 8.1.2. If there's a waiting period of seven days before the badge notification shows up, I'd like to be aware of that fact.

#17 Rafagon, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I was ribbing you. We all make mistakes when we write. :)

19. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Well, you're the king of ribbing! :p