my screen is black and my icons are gone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

volcomguysd

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Recovery mode?

There may be an easier way, that I'm not aware of, but when my roommate had this problem on his, he held down the SLEEP button and HOME button at the same time for 25 seconds. This rebooted his iPhone into recovery mode. You'll see a message stating to plug it into iTunes. iTunes will then recover your phone back to it's last sync.

I'm sure this is only convenient to someone if they haven't modded their phone in any way. His was modded and it reset everything back to normal. Guess it wasn't a big problem as it only took him 30 minutes or so to put everything back on.....

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Welcome to Ninja Mode!

I had this happen when my Displayorder.plist file got corrupted some how, I can't remember exactly what I did to bork it, but I had no icons on my springboard anymore :(

The solution was simple, dock it, connect to your favorite interface program like iBrickr or Breezy, and browse to the following folder:

System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/

Upload the default Displayorder.plist there.

I've attached the default DisplayOrder.plist from modmyiPhone below.

Attachments

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
No prob, at least its there if someone does a search, plus its just good to know anyways so you can save yourself some time during that loooong iTunes resync after a restore :p

I'm not looking forward to that sync after the next firmware upgrade :T

JAF

Jun 27, 2007
yes iam using both those, and i tried restarting and nothing happned.
I had this time problem after making some changes to the DisplayOrder.plist file to remove/hide an icon or two (forgot to add a </dict>). I would check your DisplayOrder.plist file and make sure its formated correctly. You can find the file in the /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app dir