My Short Review on the BodyGuardz

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ZJH90

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
San Francisco!!!!
So, I purchased the BodyGuardz (BG) a few weeks ago, and applied them the moment I received them in the mail. There are two parts of this story, one being the first time I applied the BG, and two being the second time I applied the BG.

Story #1:
I did the installation on my desk. I washed my hands, cleaned the table, did all the little recommendations, and began. Instead of using the Windex idea to apply the BG, I used the solution it came with. I put on the screen cover, and lightly squeegyed (sp?) the bubbles and extra solution.
Then I moved to the back. I literally spend two hours applying the back. It seemed like the corners were never going to stay down. Every time I would put down one of the sides, the whole skin would move, forcing me to reapply it over and over again. After much work and frustration, I finally got the corners to stay.
I let the skins dry for the 48 hours, and went to go look at my brand new, shielded, iPhone. But to my dismay, the screen could not have looked worse. The screen appeared to have a look on it very similar to when you get a television screen wet. I was so upset. I let it dry for two more days, but the look never went away.

After about a week of use, I decided to remove the first BG and apply the second set of skins included in the package.

Story #2:
This time, I decided to apply the BG in a steamy bathroom, as some have suggested. Again I tried using the solution included to apply the BG.
First, I wiped the screen with the micro fiber cloth. Then I cleaned the screen with Windex, then wiped using the micro fiber cloth. I applied the screen cover, but this time, rather than lightly squeggying the screen, I pushed hard. Not so hard as to break the screen, but I really put some pressure on there. I got every last little micro bubble and bit of solution there was underneath that screen cover. I let the screen dry for ten minuted before applying the back.
I went onto the back. First, I just applied it on the back without worrying about the sides/corners yet. So once I got the back in place, and made sure everything was centered, I let it sit for 15 minutes.
When I came back, I did the sides, then let it sit for 15 minutes. Then I came back, and did the top and bottom, then let it sit for another 15 minutes. Finally, started working on the corners. Do not be discouraged if the corners are not going down, they take a little longer to dry, and do not try to remove the excess solution with your finger or a cloth, just let it air dry.
So I finally got all four corners, and then I just let it sit. I let it dry for the two days without touching it at all. When I came back two days later and turned on my iPhone, low and behold! The screen looked amazing, the corners were perfect, and I couldn't even tell that there was anything on the screen.

So, my tips for everyone trying to apply BG:
-Do the application process in a steamy bathroom.
-When squeegying, do it pretty forcefully to remove every bubble and bit of solution.
-Use the solution included.
-When doing the screen part, there is no such thing as too much solution, as long as you squeegy as much of it out from underneath after you have it in place.
-When it comes to the back, there is such thing as too much solution. I used three squirts of solution, then rubbed it around onto all the corners.
-Make sure your hands are EXTREMELY washed.
-HAVE PATIENCE!

Let me just end by saying that I have noticed a huge difference in the amount of smudges I have on the screen. There actually appears to be less. Also, the "tackyness" of the skins people talk about is such a minute takyness that you won't even know it's there. I hope my review/tips helped someone.

bnelse92

Jul 29, 2007
That all sounds like a heck of a lot of work. Why is this product worth it to you? I have just a normal screen protector on my iPhone and it looks pretty good and I put it on in 5 minutes. What is the advantage of the BG?

ZJH90

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
San Francisco!!!!
That all sounds like a heck of a lot of work. Why is this product worth it to you? I have just a normal screen protector on my iPhone and it looks pretty good and I put it on in 5 minutes. What is the advantage of the BG?
The point of the BG is to protect every part of your device from scratches, not just the screen. It also adds grip to it, making it easier to hold, and I actually feels safe putting my phone in my pocket without worrying about it coming out scratched.

Aug 12, 2007
New York
Redickulous

I don't understand this insanity to protect your iPhone. Do you have plastic on your leather sofa? Do you have those long clear rubber rugs over your carpet? Do you have a room in your house that nobody is allowed to go into? Then why cover and ruin your $600.00 phone. Use it. The phone was designed to withstand minor drops and impacts. It will still look shiney and beautiful after wiping it on your shirt. Put the phone in your pocket WITHOUT the keys and I promise, even without protection, your screen will look like new!

ZJH90

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
San Francisco!!!!
I don't understand this insanity to protect your iPhone. Do you have plastic on your leather sofa? Do you have those long clear rubber rugs over your carpet? Do you have a room in your house that nobody is allowed to go into? Then why cover and ruin your $600.00 phone. Use it. The phone was designed to withstand minor drops and impacts. It will still look shiney and beautiful after wiping it on your shirt. Put the phone in your pocket WITHOUT the keys and I promise, even without protection, your screen will look like new!
You are missing the purpose of these skins. It is to protect the iPhone from scratches without you even knowing the skin is there, and that is exactly what the BG does. Unlike the crappy plastic some people put on their sofas, the skins are completely unnoticeable. By the way, the iPhone was definitely not made to repel scratches, seeing as they get scratched so easily. If you are not going to even know the skins are on there, why bother taking the risk if getting your $600 investment scratched?

RoscoeUA

Aug 7, 2008
Why woudn't you clean the screen with windex (a glass cleaner), because the screen is made of , last i checked, glass...
This is correct. You can clean an iPhone screen with windex just fine. You want to spray the windex on the cloth and not directly on the iPhone. The main reason people think this isn't allowed is because you shouldn't use windex on a matte macbook pro screen or any other comparable laptop matte screen. This is a big no no.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
For, me I'd be concerned about Windex seeping into the phone. Or any liquids for that matter. Apparently, there's a water indicator inside the mini-jack receptacle. I saw the Genius using an ear scope to look into the receptacle!

So, I'd be careful with spraying a bunch of liquids on the phone.

dieburnbot

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I have a Bodyguardz on my iPhone 3G and I hate it. The corners on the back are starting to come up and there is dirt underneath it. I won a Zagg Invisibleshield, and I am planning on putting that on to replace it. The cut on the invisible shield seems to be a lot better. I'm going to keep the front sheild from the bodyguardz though since it is clearer and my finger moves more smoothly over it because it doesn't have that orange peel texture that the zagg has. The Bodygardz was pretty much a waste of money for me.

Rodge

Apr 7, 2011
Gadgetshieldz is probably the best protective cover, and it's cheap to. Those soap solutions that other products give you are just useless, you can easily make your own at home. I think the makers of Gadgetshieldz decided to focus more on the actual quality of their protective films unlike the other ones that give you fancy packaging and a useless soap solution and then charge you some over bloated amount.