My story...(it's short)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Well, I bought my 2nd iPhone today because Apple screwed me. Well, I kinda-sorta screwed myself indirectly. Non-the-less, I will be selling my other iPhone. Reason for selling, some of you may have seen my other posts, to those who have not, I wanted to update to the 1.1.2 version, low and behold, the phone became inop. The phone will turn on and so forth, it will connect to iTunes, however, after a restore, the error 1603 will come up. It will also state to install a valid/unlocked sim card to activate the phone. Apple is not willing to help me and so far I have been unlucky in finding someone that knows how to possibly fix the problem.

So pretty much this phone is useless to me, so I figure I would post on here to sell it. If somebody is interested, hit me up.

Thanks! :laugh2:

pewterss

Nov 24, 2007
Well, I bought my 2nd iPhone today because Apple screwed me. Well, I kinda-sorta screwed myself indirectly. Non-the-less, I will be selling my other iPhone. Reason for selling, some of you may have seen my other posts, to those who have not, I wanted to update to the 1.1.2 version, low and behold, the phone became inop. The phone will turn on and so forth, it will connect to iTunes, however, after a restore, the error 1603 will come up. It will also state to install a valid/unlocked sim card to activate the phone. Apple is not willing to help me and so far I have been unlucky in finding someone that knows how to possibly fix the problem.

So pretty much this phone is useless to me, so I figure I would post on here to sell it. If somebody is interested, hit me up.

umm dude, what is wrong with you... I would b&^%$# Apple out for this... why would you go buy a new iPhone, the things aren't exactly cheap.

Have you tried resetting it or restoring the iPhone to its original state ?

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
umm dude, what is wrong with you... I would b&^%$# Apple out for this... why would you go buy a new iPhone, the things aren't exactly cheap.

Have you tried resetting it or restoring the iPhone to its original state ?

I have bitched, screamed, yelled, cursed, everything. They basically said I'm s**t out of luck! I know the phone is expensive, however, there are many people that buy more than one or two just to crack them, ya know?

I have tried more than 5 dozen times to reset,restore,update, everything, and nothing has worked. So that is why I got a new one.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I have bitched, screamed, yelled, cursed, everything. They basically said I'm s**t out of luck! I know the phone is expensive, however, there are many people that buy more than one or two just to crack them, ya know?

I have tried more than 5 dozen times to reset,restore,update, everything, and nothing has worked. So that is why I got a new one.
Have you tried all that with a different computer? Switch to a friend's Mac and see what happens.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta

Search for the revirginizing your iPhone.
It puts it in a fresh out of box state, and was used to fix unlocked iPhones that bricked after updating.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Search for the revirginizing your iPhone.
It puts it in a fresh out of box state, and was used to fix unlocked iPhones that bricked after updating.
As far as I read, you can revirginize the phone once it reaches this state. Maybe I'm not reading it right.

And because I can't install anything onto the phone. I can only do a hard boot so that I can hit shift + restore. Once it goes through the restore process, it gives me the error at the end. So there is no way of installing installer or going to http://i.unlock.no on the phone.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
As far as I read, you can revirginize the phone once it reaches this state. Maybe I'm not reading it right.

And because I can't install anything onto the phone. I can only do a hard boot so that I can hit shift + restore. Once it goes through the restore process, it gives me the error at the end. So there is no way of installing installer or going to http://i.unlock.no on the phone.
Have you considered putting it into restore mode by holding the top and home buttons down, and then downgrading to 1.1.1?

pewterss

Nov 24, 2007

You know the Apple store tried selling me there extra warranty telling me that if anything should go wrong with the software, loading it up they would fix it for free. She said that the iPhone is covered under the 1st year from Apple, if I wanted continuous coverage I would need to pay the extra 69 for one more year.

But the thing that gets me is that she said Apple would cover any software issues during the basic warranty... hmmm maybe its all BS.

I would seriously send an email or letter to Apple's CEO or bigboy. Sounds crazy but I work for a rather large company and when we get complaints like that from users, we run and get them whaterver they need. Im sure Apple as public as they are and with all the money there making would be rather quick about getting you a new phone. The hell with the Apple store.

John

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Why would you ***** Apple out?
I'm no Apple fanboy whatsoever, but a company has the right to determine what conditions a warranty is valid and what isn't..and they shouldn't HAVE to work on products that have been basically altered. If I was an Apple guy and you started yelling and screaming about it I'd be yelling twice as loud, believe me. You knew what you were getting into when you modded.
I've modded every phone Ive ever gotten in every way possible, but if something went wrong I sure ain't gonna bring it into Apple let alone be dumb enough to yell and scream cause they won't break their warranty rules for me.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
There is a small, but probably very small, moral obligation on the part of Apple IMHO. I installed an iPod kit in my Cayenne. Technically I have voided the warranty, but would Porsche deny me a warranty job on the engine as a result? Seriously doubt it as there is an an acceptable level of customization. It's my hardware, paid for in full, and I have a right to play with it!

I wouldn't dream of complaining that my CD multichanger is now a brick though, as it was moi who knackered it trying to release the fibre optic. Doh! These are lessons we learn along the way. Some are painful.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Why would you ***** Apple out?
I'm no Apple fanboy whatsoever, but a company has the right to determine what conditions a warranty is valid and what isn't..and they shouldn't HAVE to work on products that have been basically altered. If I was an Apple guy and you started yelling and screaming about it I'd be yelling twice as loud, believe me. You knew what you were getting into when you modded.
I've modded every phone Ive ever gotten in every way possible, but if something went wrong I sure ain't gonna bring it into Apple let alone be dumb enough to yell and scream cause they won't break their warranty rules for me.

I did all of that off the phone. I was very calm with the guy. I work for a car dealership in service, so I give the same respect to those who are in the customer service field. I just waited until I got off the phone. It's ok though. I have another phone. Hopefully I can get this one fixed so that I can sell it.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
OK, since there hasn't been anybody that has made me an offer on my phone, I will put out there a price.

$250.00 with free shipping, all original contents and box.
(free shipping to the greater 48 states)
*****To all those who have not read about my phone, please do so! It's basically bricked! Once turned on and restored, an error comes up, it states;
"Incorrect SIM"
Insert an unlocked and valid SIM to activate phone.

Other than that, the phone is a little over 2 months old. If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again.