My take on Hacking

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Some randomlyy generated thoughts to kick around,; what kind of example are we setting for our kids when we say hacking is ok because “its our right”.
Why not hack into the local bank where we keep our money, “its our right” because our money is there. Or hack into your place of businesss , what the hell, you work there right? Or lets hack into our governments defense control center and play with some launch codes, hey its our government, we pay the taxes, “its our right”.
How would you feel if a moslum is visiting here in the states and starts hacking into american institutions, hmm the land of the free, he sees americans hacking away so he wants to join in on the fun.
Is it just me or dosent anyone else see that hacking (in any form) is breaking and entering, and can only lead to misery for all involved. :p

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Some randomlyy generated thoughts to kick around,; what kind of example are we setting for our kids when we say hacking is ok because “its our right”.
Why not hack into the local bank where we keep our money, “its our right” because our money is there. Or hack into your place of businesss , what the hell, you work there right? Or lets hack into our governments defense control center and play with some launch codes, hey its our government, we pay the taxes, “its our right”.
How would you feel if a moslum is visiting here in the states and starts hacking into american institutions, hmm the land of the free, he sees americans hacking away so he wants to join in on the fun.
Is it just me or dosent anyone else see that hacking (in any form) is breaking and entering, and can only lead to misery for all involved. :p
i don't see how you can compare "hacking" the iPhone to extensive computer hacking. The vast majority of iPhone users are simply trying to add features that we feel should have been included to begin with. We are not trying to break into Apple's (or anyone else's) personal information or bank accounts, or ANYTHING that is not our own.

Granted, i'm sure there are exceptions, but my point is that there is hacking, and then there is hacking.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Sorry, don't agree. I would never hack into a bank. But you better not put any new rims on you car that are not from your car dealer because your modifying it by putting on 3rd party rims. Same thing in my opinion.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
If you own something you have a right to customize it or modify it to your liking, 3rd party apps is not breaking the law, there is no law against it.
If you don't want to have them on your phone then don't do it. But please don't waste time posting to start a rif between people who do and people who don't. This is suppose to be a site to help with questions, discussions, etc. You're just trying to start something by posting these types of threads. Yes we are all intitled to our opinion, but this is such a waste.:eek:

day1yun

Sep 19, 2007
Sorry, but your logic is off. I work in the network security industry as a consultant. Those are totally different scenarios. Hacking your iPhone is hacking something that you own 100%. Hacking into the bank is breaking into someone else's property. Hacking into something is like breaking and entering. I would say its perfectly fine to break into your own home but breaking into someone else's house is totally wrong.

On a side note, hacking is not necessarily a bad thing. The media as made hacking out to be illegal, bad, etc. There are different types of hackers: white hat, black hat, and even grey hat. If you don't' know what they are then look it up.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I don't feel any misery. I am very comfortable with MY hacked/modded phone. What you should be more ashamed of is, teaching your kids to give up the freedom of choice. You should also be ashamed to teach your children, if Big Business says it, it has to be true. How can anyone be doing anything wrong modifying something that they bought? Are you that Jaded by the new America, that they have you feeling bad because you modify your own property? That is truly sad, I will pray for you...M:(

BTW: Did you know that Steve Jobs most likely started Apple with money he gained (Through his illegal "Blue Box") through HACKING? Steve Jobs and Co Founder Steve Wozniak, created an electronic "Blue Box" that hacked into AT&T's phone lines to make free telephone calls. They then sold those boxes for 150.00. So I really doubt that Steve Jobs is the one to listen to when it comes to the morality of hacking. What Steve did was illegal and wrong, tapping into a company's system. We are doing nothing wrong, realizing the full potential of OUR purchase (The iPhone).

Last edited by a moderator:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I'd just like the throw in my cents and agree with the above posters that it is not bad at all. Once you buy something, you are free to do whatever you want with it, whether it's hacking it, dissecting it, throwing it against a brick wall, etc. "Hacking" has gotten a bad connotation over the years because it can LEAD to illegal activity, but it doesn't have to. Hacking the iPhone to run third party apps is completely legal, ethical, and moral as long as you are not using it for illegal activity, like getting free minutes, breaking into bank records, or whatever. Apple and AT&T just want you to think it's bad because they lose money when you unlock the phone to use with someone else. Don't feel bad about it. You can literally walk into a police station and publicly announce that you have a completely hacked iPhone running on a network other than AT&T and the cops will probably just tell you to leave for annoying them with useless information.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
I don't feel any misery. I am very comfortable with MY hacked/modded phone. What you should be more ashamed of is, teaching your kids to give up the freedom of choice. You should also be ashamed to teach your children, if Big Business says it, it has to be true. How can anyone be doing anything wrong modifying something that they bought? Are you that Jaded by the new America, that they have you feeling bad because you modify your own property? That is truly sad, I will pray for you...M:(

BTW: Did you know that Steve Jobs most likely started Apple with money he gained (Through his illegal "Blue Box") through HACKING? Steve Jobs and Co Founder Steve Wozniak, created an electronic "Blue Box" that hacked into AT&T's phone lines to make free telephone calls. They then sold those boxes for 150.00. So I really doubt that Steve Jobs is the one to listen to when it comes to the morality of hacking. What Steve did was illegal and wrong, tapping into a company's system. We are doing nothing wrong, realizing the full potential of OUR purchase (The iPhone).

Just a thought. What if, Apple's decision to go strictly with AT&T and no other carrier, was somehow driven by Steve's guilt and remorse over what he and Wozniak did way back when; and he chose this as his "pennance" to somehow ease his guilt? Naaahhhhhhhhhhhhh..not likely. I momentarily forgot about the recent update when thinking StevO might be capable of sensing guilt. :p

Oh STOP it! All of you that were about to flame me for this. It's a JOKE! Geesshhh!

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
You obviously don't understand what hacking is. Thanks for sharing your ignorant (and inflammatory) opinion. In terms you would understand, in exactly the same way that you have a right to speak your mind, we have a right to hack whatever the damn hell we pay our hard earned bucks to buy.

It doesn't have anything to do with your kids or my kids at all.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Like i said, just randomly generated thoughts, all points well taken, and all seem to have an underlining fear that if freedoms and liberties arent vehemently defended then you lose something, your sense of who you think you are. This is a great study in awakened consciousness vs world consciousness.
We are moving rapidly to a new earth, one in which your sense of freedom never has to be defended, you are already free, even if you were locked up in an jail in india somewhere,,you are free...i held an opinion, but my sense of self is not in there, there is no right or wrong, thats my message, sermon over.
Be the Buddha that you are :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I agree with the majority of the posts.
iPhone hacking is much different than hacking into a bank or the government.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Like many, I want Apple to support third party app development, but in a way that is somewhat controlled. People may argue that we should be able to do anything we want with our iPhones... but I think that many would agree that hacking them to, say, make calls without using minutes would be wrong. And what about apps and hacks that do things like disabling airplane mode or making 911 calls without the user knowing?

trinic101

Sep 15, 2007
stupidest thing ive ever read/heard. u piss me off... not really but i don't feel like ranting on how i feel about what u said

btw. hacking and cracking are too different things, google it

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Like i said, just randomly generated thoughts, all points well taken, and all seem to have an underlining fear that if freedoms and liberties arent vehemently defended then you lose something, your sense of who you think you are. This is a great study in awakened consciousness vs world consciousness.
We are moving rapidly to a new earth, one in which your sense of freedom never has to be defended, you are already free, even if you were locked up in an jail in india somewhere,,you are free...i held an opinion, but my sense of self is not in there, there is no right or wrong, thats my message, sermon over.
soo... Is the acid kicking in yet?

You need a therapist.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Are you SERIOUS? M:mad:

trinic101

Sep 15, 2007
nevermind, im with OJsakilla and iPhonian, u do piss me off aknightstale41

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Dude, put the crack pipe down and back away from the computer. Call 911 and wait for the nice people in the uniforms to come help you. Don't panic.