My thoughts on the new devices

Discussion in 'iPhone 8' started by bams50, Sep 12, 2017.

1. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Just watched the live Keynote, and I think maybe I have been spoiled. Reason being, I was not that wowed. There are some neat new features, yes, but nothing that really makes it great for me. Personally, my main areas of interest are durability, as in gorilla glass, and most of all, battery life. Not much to be excited about it either area. they say the new glass is more durable, but no telling how much; and they say two more hours of battery life. By the time. It's like a tire warranty, the number is the best case scenario. So in real life chances are that won't really be that much improvement. I do like the wireless charging, though. Finally.

Maybe people like different things in their phones than I do; I am more about utility. Design changes? Doesn't mean much to me. Whole bunch of fancy camera stats? For everything I do, the cameras have been more than adequate for the last several generations. Face recognition? Could not care less, I never lock mine anyway. They spent a lot of time talking about gaming an animated emoji's, neither of which mean a thing to me. Whatever.

I guess I'll just look forward to the next generation hoping for a real breakthrough on battery life. BX looks kind of cool. But I'm not in any big rush to drop a G on cool looks.

Oh, and one more thing. Special kudos to the watch for now having cellular capability. I'll have to think about that one. Maybe I'll finally buy one.

2. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Sorry, couple of typos in there, but I can't find a way to edit.

3. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

I had a similar feeling. To me this keynote came off a lot less polished and WOW worthy than years past. I personally think it is because there have been more leaks, and YUGE leaks, this year that it stole some of the luster and made it harder to come off well. In addition, I was surprised how the first attempt to unlock via faceid fell on its face.

But, all that said, I only really cared about iPhone X and the rest was just the prologue that I had to endure to get to the real stuff.

4. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Don't get me wrong, I recognize that they have introduced a lot of improvements. But to me, all the improvements came in the gimmicks and gadgets. I was hoping for some meat and potatoes upgrades.

5. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

I won't go for the X. I need a new phone now not next year which is when it will realistically be available after it sells out quickly. The 8 provides enough of an upgrade that I can wait until the next iPhone X, but I would want it to be even bigger.

6. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

Maybe the all glass will keep them from bending.

7. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I heard that but I bought a 6+ anyway. Then, I bought another one for my business line. I am certainly not gentle with them, but I have never seen any way they could bend short of putting it half off the edge of the table and forcing down.

My own actual experience leads me to believe that the whole bending controversy was a big hoax started by people who don't know how to take care of a relatively delicate electronic device.

8. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I still have a 6+ for personal use, and another on my business line. In my opinion, that one represents a big leap forward because of the size. both of mine work great, but if the eight or the X would have had some huge advancement I wanted, I would have gone for it- namely, a revolutionary jump in battery life. And I decided I wanted one of these, I would have waited until just after Christmas, when there will likely be plenty of either. But since that didn't happen, I'll probably sit tight until the next one, or something happens to one of the current phones.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Part of the lack of wow factor is that we know most of the secrets before the official unveiling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I like the X but to me the face ID is a turn off. I like grabbing my phone and having it unlocked before I even look at it. Anyway I still have my 6 and think it may be time for an upgrade and after weighing the pros and cons the 8 plus may be what I go for. I can live without anemojois or whatever it's called.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I like the 5.5" screen on the 8 Plus better than that tall skinny screen on the X. The X screen reminds me how they stretched out the 3.5" 4s to the 4" iPhone 5. In full screen, the X will crop photos and videos made with the 7 Plus.

12. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Question.. I love that animated emoji is it only available on the iPhone X?? Or is it on the 8 too??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I'm pretty sure it's just the X because it uses the facial recognition sensor to animate the emojis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Aww ok thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

It's kinda weird that instagram and other apps can do something similar with just the regular camera though. Guess they needed another exclusive selling point.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think it works quite as well without face mapping. The lips and face movements match impressively well when recorded on an X. Part of it is to make it an exclusive feature, but the other part is to only allow it if the hardware is there to do it as intended. Quality control.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm really starting to lean away from the X and toward the 8 Plus. I always go for the top tier model of almost anything, but the X has a beta feel that I just can't shake. 16:9 videos in true aspect ratio will be larger on the Plus than on the X, and I'm not convinced that Face ID will be as practical in all situations as Touch ID. I often unlock my phone before even raising it to look at it.

I'll probably get the 6"+ iPhone next year. I won't be able to resist an OLED screen in an iPhone for much longer. :)

18. Vetclock

Vetclock New Member

I just ordered 2 iPhone 8 plus for my wife and myself. Hers is a 64 and mine is a 256. Scheduled for pick up at Apple Store on Friday September 22. Evidently they have plenty this year, or no one is buying them. Not really impressed with the X !!

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Folks are buying, but there's 3 to choose from and less color selections. That seems to have helped with production schedules and availability.

20. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah, I could not care less about the face recognition either. I never lock my phone in the first place. Don't need animated emojis either. I get impressed by advances in physical durability and kind of like real improvements in battery life – neither of which is really here.