My Verizon contract is finished!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
It's been a long and difficult wait, but I finally was able to get an iPhone! I can I tell you, it was well worth the wait! I been reading on this site since the release, I've been into Apple stores and played with the iPhone, and nothing can compare to actually owning one.

I switched from a black motorola Q, which by the way is a fantastic phone! the iPhone is so much easier to use and is a joy to play with!

I used my Q very heavily with exchange server at work, (our IT staff is going to enable IMAP on our exchange server), I know it won't be the same, but I'm willing to wait, hopefully when the SDK is released, someone will setup true push exchange access. (such as active sync for iPhone, that would ROCK!)

Anyways, thanks to all of you that have given so much great information and getting me more excited to get this amazing device.

Have a great week!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Welcome to the club :)

I also jumped ship from Verizon, but you had more willpower than me... I had 4 months left on VZW, but ended up terminating my Treo contract with the ETF. ...which actually saved me money in the long run (I barely used their expensive dataplan) plus I sold the Treo which made up more than the ETF cost.

Did you port your VZW phone # over to your iPhone? If so, did you do everything through iTunes, or did you have to notify Verizon that you were porting the # over (and terminating the contract)? Once you port a phone # to the iPhone, does VZW automatically know to terminate the old phone?
Reason for all these questions -- I have my wife's sealed iPhone still sitting on my desk, waiting for her VZW contract to end...and she wants her # ported over.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I got rid of Verizon early. I was paying 60 bucks a month just for internet and texts, let alone phone use. By paying the termination fee and leaving, I actually start saving money 5 months into my AT&T contract, and have an awesome phone to boot!

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007

I also jumped ship from Verizon, but you had more willpower than me... I had 4 months left on VZW, but ended up terminating my Treo contract with the ETF. ...which actually saved me money in the long run (I barely used their expensive dataplan) plus I sold the Treo which made up more than the ETF cost.

Did you port your VZW phone # over to your iPhone? If so, did you do everything through iTunes, or did you have to notify Verizon that you were porting the # over (and terminating the contract)? Once you port a phone # to the iPhone, does VZW automatically know to terminate the old phone?
Reason for all these questions -- I have my wife's sealed iPhone still sitting on my desk, waiting for her VZW contract to end...and she wants her # ported over.
I still have my moto q and it's still activated. I have not ported my number over, YET. I went into an ATT retail store because after I activated the iPhone through iTunes i couldn't get a signal. Called att tech support was eventually told I needed a new sim card. went to the att store and had to come back home and activate again throught iTunes. all good now, anyways. I asked the ATT person if when my contract with VZW was done if I could still port my number over. He said yes. So you could activate your wife's iPhone a week or so before the contract is done, get a new number for a week, and then port the number over when the VZW contract is done.

Once you port your number it should automatically cancel your VZW contract. I am going to call VZW after we port numbers just make sure it was canceled.

Have fun!

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
... So you could activate your wife's iPhone a week or so before the contract is done, get a new number for a week, and then port the number over when the VZW contract is done.

Once you port your number it should automatically cancel your VZW contract. ....
thanks for the info, but are you supposed to activate the iPhone with a new # first a week early, then port the VZW phone # over? Is this the "correct" method of porting a # over?

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
no just an option

thanks for the info, but are you supposed to activate the iPhone with a new # first a week early, then port the VZW phone # over? Is this the "correct" method of porting a # over?
no it's just an option for you to get started with your iPhone sooner than later. you could port your number on the same day that your contract expires.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If your IT department takes too long to enable IMAP, you might want to try a trial version of Syncronica ML. I've been using it since August and it works GREAT! I don't know how long it will continue to work because it's easily been 90 days or so now.

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
I paid $125 to end my contract early with Verizon. My wife stayed b/c she talks for long periods of time (her mom, my mom etc..) so it made sense for her to stay since everyone else is on verizon "IN". when we called verizon to get her plan fixed , the rep didn't even say anything when i said i left for ATT... *shrug.

I love my iPhone.

dobymax

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
no it's just an option for you to get started with your iPhone sooner than later. you could port your number on the same day that your contract expires.
It's an option when you activate your phone using iTunes. It asks you do you want a new number or port your number from another carrier. I chose to port mine over from Verizon and they automatically canceled my service. I had to pay the termination fee, by have never looked back!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
My GF recently moved from Verizon to AT&T and ported her number over via iTunes. It took 2 days for her to get her new phone and it was already activated with her old Verizon number. She called Verizon to be on the safe side and they confirmed her account had been closed.

She was still within her 30 day period and she is now fighting with Verizon over their "if you are not happy within 30 days, we will refund everything" scheme. They are still sending her bills threatening to default on her bill. Even though when she calls them, they tell her she has nothing to worry about and it's all been dealt with. I don't think I have ever seen worse customer service from any company before than Verizon. I am extremely embarrassed to even tell people that Verizon Wireless is a UK owned company.