My vibrate switch just popped off

mediarite

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
ColoRADo
I was just flipping the switch into vibrate mode and the silver cap broke off the switch. I did a search and saw a couple threads about switches that broke as a result of a drop, but didn't see any about the switch just popping off during use.

I'm headed to the Apple store tomorrow. I'm assuming (hoping) that they'll replace it.

Is this a bigger issue that I haven't heard about?

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
eh.... its gona be difficult to say the outcome of this. Any damage incurred they assume the phone's been dropped.

Also, the warranty only includes software problems or hardware problems. Keep us posted!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think they have replaced others phones for this same reason, but I could be wrong. If there's no damage around that area, and pretty much no damage to the phone at all, they'll replace it to you since theres not really any proof that its been dropped, etc. It never hurts to try taking it in or calling (800) MY-APPLE and asking.

kevroc

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
I had the same thing happen, it just popped off. They replaced my phone at the Apple store in about 5 minutes. They do a quick check for water damage, but assuming you're good there it should be a slam dunk.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I have one of the tighter and harder to move silence switches, I sure hope that mine does not do the same. Good Luck, and keep us posted.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I wonder if he'll get a NEW or a referbished one. I haven't dropped my phone at all but i have a tiny crack near the vib switch. I wonder if they'll assume ive dropped the phone.

mediarite

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
ColoRADo
They replaced the phone. I didn't ask if it was new or refurb. It was in a plain white box marked "REPLACEMENT" iPhone. I assumed it was new, which may have been a bad assumption.

They'd obviously seen the problem before, and replaced it with no questions asked and a very cursory inspection. I commented that this apparently wasn't the first case of this that he'd seen. He replied "not necessarily". :)

Syncing up the "new" phone now.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
They replaced the phone. I didn't ask if it was new or refurb. It was in a plain white box marked "REPLACEMENT" iPhone. I assumed it was new, which may have been a bad assumption.

They'd obviously seen the problem before, and replaced it with no questions asked and a very cursory inspection. I commented that this apparently wasn't the first case of this that he'd seen. He replied "not necessarily". :)

Syncing up the "new" phone now.
Does your new iPhones serial number begin with 5K? ... If so, I believe you got a refurb.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, the refurbs come in plain white boxes.

funny, i never heard of this problem on the v1 iPhones.

long live v1.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
these refurbished phones reminds me of my two refurbished 360 that caught the red ring of death. I'm still loyal to microsofts gaming machine though.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
these refurbished phones reminds me of my two refurbished 360 that caught the red ring of death. I'm still loyal to microsofts gaming machine though.
I've modded my 360 Elite so this never happens. Using CPU fans on the side, and using the upright cooling stand. A tiny bit louder than stock operation but u cant even hear it over the surround so its w/e.

mediarite

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
ColoRADo
Does your new iPhones serial number begin with 5K? ... If so, I believe you got a refurb.
Yep. 5K serial #. Assuming that does mean that it's a refurb, I'm really not bothered by it. The warranty's still the same (1 yr. from original DOP). The case and screen appear to be new.

Almost every piece of Apple gear I've purchased has been refurb. I've had more problems with new Apple gear than refurb'd gear.

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
It happened to my girl this weekend, just take it back and they will replace it. Make sure there is no signs of the phone beeing dropped or anything.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Yep. 5K serial #. Assuming that does mean that it's a refurb, I'm really not bothered by it. The warranty's still the same (1 yr. from original DOP). The case and screen appear to be new.

Almost every piece of Apple gear I've purchased has been refurb. I've had more problems with new Apple gear than refurb'd gear.
Yeah, I am currently on a Refurb phone that is near perfect, I do have a slight light leak by the volume buttons, however the case I have covers it up. And your right it does retain the same warranty. My only beef with getting a refurb was the fact that I received a refurb 4 days after my initial purchase. However, this particular refurb is a gem.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I bought a PS3 after reading about the Xbox troubles, it's a great blue ray player ;-)