My Vibrator May Be on the Fritz

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Rafagon, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I almost never use the vibration feature on my iPhone. I really have very little need for it; I’m rarely in a situation where a phone call ringing or an incoming text sound would bother anyone.

Since I started playing Pokémon GO, I realized that under its Settings screen there’s a Vibration option. Figuring it would be helpful to get a vibration when I was out and about, wasn’t looking at the screen, and encountered a wild Pokémon, I toggled this option to on:

IMG_2149.PNG

However, after several days of playing, I realized I hadn’t felt any vibrations, regardless of the number of Pokémon I encountered.

I started wondering if my vibrator was broken.

I went into Settings > Sounds and under the heading “SOUNDS AND VIBRATION PATTERNS” I tapped on Ringtone > Vibration. I tried many or possibly all of the different standard vibration patterns, such as Accent (Default), Alert, Heartbeat, Quick, Rapid, etc. Not a single one of them made my phone vibrate.

Is there anything I could do to run a diagnostic and see if my vibrator is in fact broken? Also, if it is indeed broken, could I take it to an Apple Store to get it fixed (i.e. get a refurb)? I received this iPhone 6s Plus on September 29th, 2016. Will they help me, since it’s been less than a year since I purchased it? Or do they only replace damaged phones if it’s been under 90 days since the date of purchase?

I have not tried General > Reset > Reset All Settings, since I have a bad feeling that wouldn’t fix the issue, and doing that comes with a bit of work to get everything back to how I like it. Should I try it? Does anyone think it would help?

All help appreciated. :)

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Calling Apple would be a good first step.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Hard reset, this happens to mine occasionally and a hard reset solves it. Also uninstall Pokemon Go app.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You've earned my Post of the Week award.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm honored!

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you for the tip, but the Hard Reset (cold boot) did not work for me. I tried it twice.

Very funny on the uninstallation of the Pokémon GO app. :)

Like that’s gonna happen. :D

I’m probably going to bite the bullet and physically go to the Apple Store near me. It’s a nice and smooth trip once I hop on the Metrorail, Miami's rapid transit system. There’s a Metrorail station within walking distance from my house and the fare is very reasonable.

Additionally, physically going to that Apple Store has the added bonus that I can catch Pokémon on my way there and back.

But there are other factors to consider. I’m actually very scared of the possibility that they will decide to replace my iPhone with a refurbished unit, as I am biased against those, but I keep reading that refurbished units are just as good as or “better" than brand new models because they go through more rigorous testing and what-not. But, what happens to all my apps and their stored data? Do the employees at the store make themselves responsible for transfering everything over from my current phone to my “new” (refurbished) phone that they will give me without losing so much as one byte of data?

If I can’t get the vibrator to start vibrating on my own, I may have to consider just living without the vibration. Heck, I haven’t needed or used it in months, and my iPhone experience hasn’t suffered because of the lack of it.

I could still take the phone to the Apple Store and have them look at it. Maybe their “geniuses” will see something that I’m missing. I’ll simply tell them that if they can’t fix it right then and there, to just give me my phone back.

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

It's your data and your responsibility to make sure it's backed up, not an Apple employee

8. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

How many posts have been deleted from this thread so far? Just wondering...

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Actually, none.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Do you have Vibration toggled off in Accessibility?
    [​IMG]

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Oh! My! God!

I could kiss you!

LOL!

But don’t worry, I won’t!

You fixed it!!

Moderator, promote this gentleman immediately!

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I dislike vibrations and was happy to find I could turn them all off. I got one with my WWF notification. No way to turn it off. It's off now though.