My View on Future iPhone Updates and iPhone Flaws

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 29, 2007
Okay I am going to state some of my views on what Apple is doing and will do to the iPhone software in the future.

Missing Features of the iPhone

As you all know the iPhone is missing some features which one would think of as being very easy to fit in such as MMS, Mass Messaging, Tethering, and any other feature which you feel was left out of this great phone. Also as you know, Apple is clearly capable of fitting this in the phone but why you may ask?

Now I am no expert as businesss but this is what I view them in doing. People bought the iPhone originally for how cool it looked, and everything that was advertised with it. This AMAZING looking phone and everyone wanted one and as you see it worked. Now you are in this iPhone trap for the next 2 years or pay a $175 cancellation fee. So awhile goes by and iPhone sales begin to lessen so they drop the price and more people by it. Then more time goes by and sales drop so they decide for a new iPhone(Coming February). In order to get people to buy this new iPhone it will have to be pleasing not only to the eye but in functionality also. So they plan to add features such as 3G speeds and etc. Once people are hooked on V2 of the iPhone, Apple will want them to stay hooked. This is where future updates comes in.

Future Updates

To keep people hooked on this iPhone Apple will release new features slowly to make the iPhone user happy. Right now we do not have MMS or single SMS deleting (For the non jailbroken iPhone) and Apple will release this ability most likely when V2 is released or after V2 is released. Along with V2 shortly after SDK will be released allowing approved, under warranty , applications to be used natively on the iPhone. With this I think, the iPhone will excel greatly but then I lead to some questions for others.

What do you think will happen when SDK is released to the Dev team and other 3rd party application which were released now. Will SDK have more to offer or will it be a downgrade from installer?

I know none of us know this but what do you think?

HDS

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Atlanta
www.captnjacksparrow.com
I feel as if Apple has already done what its going to do with the V1 iPhone and that really sucks. One of my co-workers has a Voyager with friken TV and gps and some other cool things, even though I know it has a crappy os still. We got this cool iPhone with a real os and it isn't doing half the stuff it can. Our hope lays with 3 party apps and the cost they are going to hit us with. Us V1 iPhoners got jack slapped.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
I feel as if Apple has already done what its going to do with the V1 iPhone and that really sucks. One of my co-workers has a Voyager with friken TV and gps and some other cool things, even though I know it has a crappy os still. We got this cool iPhone with a real os and it isn't doing half the stuff it can. Our hope lays with 3 party apps and the cost they are going to hit us with. Us V1 iPhoners got jack slapped.
I agree with you HDS.

I think Apple would not have gotten such a "bad rep" with the iPhone, if they didn't tout the first version of it as a "smartphone and running OS X".

I have to re-think on position as an early adopter and I do not think I am alone.

Jul 23, 2007
I think all things software, can and will be hacked once the system is open. those fixes will come.

Hardware fixes are another story. Hardware problems are as follows:

Speakers not loud enough. Speaker phone speaker will never be loud enough for most users. Ear volume... the jury is still out on a SW fix.

G3, enough said.

Battery replacement.

Weak signal (in some cases), maybe hardware, maybe software, maybe network. Tough to point finger conclusively.

Weak vibration notification. I again think this to be a HW problem without a SW solution.

HDS

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Atlanta
www.captnjacksparrow.com
*sigh* Talk about timing. Co worker was showing off her Voyager and once people saw the TV part they said "Man, thats better then the iPhone."

I wanted to crawl away under a rock as they looked over at me when they said it :/

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
So, does this mean that the things we're wishing the iPhone started out with, we arent going to see until V2 '08?

And if so, I say a flood of V1's are going to show up on eBay.

Sep 29, 2007
So, does this mean that the things we're wishing the iPhone started out with, we arent going to see until V2 '08?

And if so, I say a flood of V1's are going to show up on eBay.
I was thinking the same thing but I doubt it. You are forgetting about the $175 cancellation fee and plus a majority of people already know about the phone coming so they won't buy an old one. I will upgrade if I can at the time and if AT&T is nice and lets users upgrade to the V2 without waiting out their contract with V1.

Oh well, we will all see in the next few months.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I was thinking the same thing but I doubt it. You are forgetting about the $175 cancellation fee and plus a majority of people already know about the phone coming so they won't buy an old one. I will upgrade if I can at the time and if AT&T is nice and lets users upgrade to the V2 without waiting out their contract with V1.

Oh well, we will all see in the next few months.
The majority of people that hang out on these types of forums know, but I don't think the average John/Jane Q. Public know.

I didn't forget about the early cancelation; I just didn't think about it. :p
Seriously, many iPhone junkies would quickly buy the next iPhone if they can use it under their current plan without having to sign another 2-yr agreement.

I wont be getting V2; currently want to get rid of the one I have. I've decided I don't need 2 phones and the iPod Touch does meet my needs.

Jul 23, 2007
*sigh* Talk about timing. Co worker was showing off her Voyager and once people saw the TV part they said "Man, thats better then the iPhone."

I wanted to crawl away under a rock as they looked over at me when they said it :/
With the switch to HDTV and SDTV going away in about 14 months, won't that feature go away before the contract is up?

gary88

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
The iPhone is more than enough for me right now. My life doesn't revolve around 3G connectivity or higher storage capacity. Sure it would be awesome if Apple keeps releasing updates here and there, but I'm not re-spending $600 on ESSENTIALLY the same thing.

Sep 29, 2007
The iPhone is more than enough for me right now. My life doesn't revolve around 3G connectivity or higher storage capacity. Sure it would be awesome if Apple keeps releasing updates here and there, but I'm not re-spending $600 on ESSENTIALLY the same thing.
Exactly! I just came from using a plethora of Samsung Blackjacks which are 3G enabled but I will say one thing. For the first few months I used 3G and I was hmm this is pretty fast but then I started noticing my battery wouldn't last 10 hours tops. I then started using Edge more than I used 3G until I kept 3G off.

3G may be faster, but losing the battery is not worth it. Sure Apple is trying to fix the battery problem but if I get the new phone I still won't use 3G much at all. I find the speeds to be just fine at Edge.

Only reason I would find 3G handy is if iPhone got TV which is like what the Voyager did.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
With the switch to HDTV and SDTV going away in about 14 months, won't that feature go away before the contract is up?
SDTV isn't going anywhere for many years to come. I think what you're thinking is the switch to digital over analog. That's just to free up radio frequencies so big companies can bid on them and use them for other purposes. Just because a signal becomes digital, it doesn't make it HD. HD is just a higher resolution format, it has nothing to do with the switch to digital.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I seriously doubt AT&T is going to charge a $175 cancellation fee for buying V2.

They have never charged a cancellation fee before when changing plans or phones.

Since the iPhone is not subsidized AT&T will be more then happy to sign you up for another 2 years, your contract ends and restarts with another 2 years from when you purchased V2. So effectively they are locking you in for say almost 3 years now without giving you any money off the phone.

I really think MMS and mass texting needs to be addressed. I really want 3G as well, GPS would be nice but its not a deal breaker.