My watch died today.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by acosmichippo, Aug 3, 2015.

1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

So I woke up this morning to find that my Apple Watch was disconnected from my iPhone, but otherwise working normally. First I tried unpairing it, but then it wouldn't initiate the pairing process. Then I rebooted both the watch and phone. Phone is fine, but now my watch wont' boot past the apple logo. Turns on for ~30sec then shuts off again.

Problem is my apple store doesn't have any appointments until thursday, and I don't really feel like making the trip anyway, so I'm just going to do a mail-in repair. They say it takes ~2days to get the shipping materials, then ~7days to get the replacement. Hopefully those are conservative estimates.

2. E_Dub

E_Dub Member
    Bronze

My box arrived on a Thursday (FedEx), they received it Friday morning, Friday evening I had tracking info for a replacement. I returned mine because it was very hot after charging.

3. igadgetlady

igadgetlady Member
    Bronze

Have you tried a "Hard Reset?"
    Press the Crown and the side button at the same time and hold for about 10 seconds. Your screen will turn off and the Watch will reboot. Hopefully that will work for you!

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yeah, tried that more times than I care to admit.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That sucks. Good luck getting the replacement soon.

I'm a little surprised about two things here:

1. An Apple Watch can't be restored in iTunes. Software problems cause the same thing on iPhones (infinite boot loops) and restoring in iTunes fixes it. Of course, if it's a hardware problem, that won't fix it.

2. That they didn't two-day ship you a replacement and have you ship the old one in the box afterward. They do that with iPhones and the $29 shipping fee is waived if you have AppleCare +. It's nice only having a two-day gap without the device. I guess they think the phone is more of a necessity and try to minimize inconvenience as much as possible.

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yeah I was surprised about that too (point #2). oh well. it is just a watch I guess.

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Each shipment was next-day fedex. Problem is it's three shipments - one to ship you the materials, then one to actually ship in your watch. Luckily the replacement was shipped out the same day they received my original. Finally scheduled to arrive today. So basically if you choose the ship-in method you're looking at three business days at the very least. That's assuming you can drop it off at fedex the same day you receive it, which can be difficult.

Overall it was a decent process, but next time I think I'll just do the genius bar even if they are booked for a few days.