My Wi-Fi is not working. care to help?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Right.

For some weird reason, my Wi-Fi is beginning to fail on me.

In my room, my house's Wi-Fi is usually painfully weak, so I feed off of my neighbors' Wi-Fi, and lately, i have not been able to connect to it, giving me an error of "Unable to join the network "0BD645"(thats the name)). i wrote this off, as i thought it was something with the network, so i just used my house's network.

But now, i suspect there is something wrong with the actual Wi-Fi, as I was connected to my school's Wi-Fi (which is WEP protected) and i was using it this morning in class, and then my phone froze, and i did a soft reset, and then after it booted, it wouldn't connect to the Wi-Fi (Unable to join the network "NPS-Wireless").

I'm sitting in school now, and i can't restore because of several things
1) i want my music, and this is a school eMac
2) the eMac doesn't have USB 2.0
3) I don't have the privileges needed to download 7.6.1 (the iTunes on it is 7.2):mad::mad::mad::mad:
4) ZiPhone won't open either (see point 3), and that is vitally important to me, because otherwise, I wouldn't be able to unjail and unlock..

this means i cant send pictures off of my phone to my email so i can do my introduction, and that means i wont be able to meet my deadline..

so is there any way to do this on a privilege-crippled computer, so i can meet my deadline?

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
since it is a mac you can diagnose if its actually the wifi on the phone....
in the upper right hand corner youll see the airport symbol, click it and click create network. if you don't see the airport symbol then go to preferences and go to network.
create the network, name it what you want, and leave it open, no wep key. then go to your wifi on you phone and select the network. if you cannot connect to it that way then it is 100% faulty wifi. you can also do ssh through terminal but that is a bit more involved and i don't know how good you are at the unix command line, plus youll need the wifi to make it work.
other then that you can find a windoze box and use ibrickr.
macs are pretty solid so there is no way youll get around the securities in place.
try downloading ziPhone but not installing it, but just running the app from the actual disk image instead of /root on the system hdd

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
since it is a mac you can diagnose if its actually the wifi on the phone....
in the upper right hand corner youll see the airport symbol, click it and click create network. if you don't see the airport symbol then go to preferences and go to network.
create the network, name it what you want, and leave it open, no wep key. then go to your wifi on you phone and select the network. if you cannot connect to it that way then it is 100% faulty wifi. you can also do ssh through terminal but that is a bit more involved and i don't know how good you are at the unix command line, plus youll need the wifi to make it work.
other then that you can find a windoze box and use ibrickr.
macs are pretty solid so there is no way youll get around the securities in place.
try downloading ziPhone but not installing it, but just running the app from the actual disk image instead of /root on the system hdd
[leaves to go find PC]

oh and if i download ZiPhone and unzip it with StuffIT expander, it makes a ZiPhone OSX app...

and then it gives me
"You do not have permission to open "ZiPhone OSX.app""

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
[leaves to go find PC]

oh and if i download ZiPhone and unzip it with StuffIT expander, it makes a ZiPhone OSX app...

and then it gives me
"You do not have permission to open "ZiPhone OSX.app""
yes, your screwed then, i forgot they lock down school macs pretty nicely. try the closed network to see if you need to visit an Apple store or not for a wifi replacement

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
im on a PC..

what do i do again?
try to download ibrickr, youll only be able to do the wifi check if the pc has a built in wifi card and create its own adhoc network like a mac can.

ibrickr lets you access the /root of the iPhone through the ipod cable without the need for wifi.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
YES!

the PC is relatively unsecure...

shock, right?
no, dosnt surprise me, lol. i work in the suit and tie world here in manhattan and i have a USB jump drive that i plug in and cracks any password protection the clients computer has, and also downloads any pictures they may have :p

i have another one that lets me run any unsecured apps i want leaving no trace on these corparate machines:cool:

knowing what is possible with pcs is why i chose a mac

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
no, dosnt surprise me, lol. i work in the suit and tie world here in manhattan and i have a USB jump drive that i plug in and cracks any password protection the clients computer has, and also downloads any pictures they may have :p

i have another one that lets me run any unsecured apps i want leaving no trace on these corparate machines:cool:

knowing what is possible with pcs is why i chose a mac

WHOA..

ok, i have ibrickr, and now what do i do?

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Right.

For some weird reason, my Wi-Fi is beginning to fail on me.

In my room, my house's Wi-Fi is usually painfully weak, so I feed off of my neighbors' Wi-Fi, and lately, i have not been able to connect to it, giving me an error of "Unable to join the network "0BD645"(thats the name)). i wrote this off, as i thought it was something with the network, so i just used my house's network.

But now, i suspect there is something wrong with the actual Wi-Fi, as I was connected to my school's Wi-Fi (which is WEP protected) and i was using it this morning in class, and then my phone froze, and i did a soft reset, and then after it booted, it wouldn't connect to the Wi-Fi (Unable to join the network "NPS-Wireless").

I'm sitting in school now, and i can't restore because of several things
1) i want my music, and this is a school eMac
2) the eMac doesn't have USB 2.0
3) I don't have the privileges needed to download 7.6.1 (the iTunes on it is 7.2):mad::mad::mad::mad:
4) ZiPhone won't open either (see point 3), and that is vitally important to me, because otherwise, I wouldn't be able to unjail and unlock..

this means i cant send pictures off of my phone to my email so i can do my introduction, and that means i wont be able to meet my deadline..

so is there any way to do this on a privilege-crippled computer, so i can meet my deadline?

Have you tried setting the DNS on your iPhone to the same IP as the Router IP?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
If these pictures are in your Camera Roll, simply docking with any PC will evoke the "Import Pictures for Digital Camera?" prompt.

If they are not, then you can move them to /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE/ as an image and its thumbnail. To make the thumbnail, duplicate your image and rename the extension to ".thm"

You should see said images in your Camera Roll now if you just browse it normally, and at this point you can dock with a PC or Mac. PC will fire up the prompt automatically, and can even copy fiels that are not jpgs from the camera roll, provided they are named as jpgs. On the Mac you will need to import through iPhoto, and unfortunately it cannot import non jpg files which have been renamed.

Come to think of it, you can transfer non jpg images on the mac with image capture, the non iphoto utlity to copy photos from digital cameras.

I'm at work adn cant elaborate much on the process here, but you should get hte gist. Just post your queries if you have any.