My wife messed with the SIM PIN, and the phone is locked...

axhoaxho

Jul 3, 2007
Greetings,

My wife just got her new iPhone 3G. She was so happy and playing with the settings. Without knowing what SIM PIN is, she managed to enter the PIN wrong (of course) three times and locked the phone. Sure enough, now the phone is not working and with a SIM LOCKED message on the top left of the screen.

Based on a little research, it seemed we might need to call AT&T, and ask for a PUK code to unlock the SIM again?

Can anyone help verify my finding, and how easy/difficult is to contact AT&T for a PUK code?

Thanks, and with best regards,
- Alex.

axhoaxho

Jul 3, 2007
Greetings again,

Sorry, please ignore my questions, I just found the solution on the AT&T website!

Go to https://www.wireless.att.com, then sign in to our account.

* Click onto Phone/Device
* Then click onto 'unblock SIM card'.
* Follow instructions.
Her AT&T account contains instructions and the PUK to unlock her phone, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks, and with best regards,
- Alex.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Glad to see that you resolved the issue and even more happy to see that you posted the solution within the thread so other people with the same issue can figure it out too.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Yes, thank you for posting the solution for the problem, I am sure this will help others.

axhoaxho

Jul 3, 2007
My pleasure, folks. Glad I can contribute a little to this forum.

I also learned one more thing... If we manage to input the SIM PIN wrong 3 times, it will lock the SIM card and need a PUK code to unlock it (which the PUK code is available in our AT&T website as I mentioned above.)

And then, if we somehow manage to enter the PUK code wrong 10 times, it will lock the SIM card permanently and need to have AT&T issues a new SIM card.

So, in case we lock our SIM card by accident, don't panic and keep trying to guess-enter the SIM/PUK codes again and again (like my wife did...)

With best regards,
- Alex.