My WiFi is slower than 3G. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone 3G' started by Torinate, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Ok. My 3G I can get download speed of 3.5 - 4 Mbps and on my Wifi i'm only getting 1.5 - 2 Mbps. Help!

On my laptop with Wifi i'm at 14.5 Mbps. So, its not my internet connection.

It used to get around 12 - 13 Mbps before.

Help me fix this!

Thanks!

Torinate

2. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

83 looks and I've stumped everyone...

That's not good... I was hoping this could be solved here...

Thanks!

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Unfortunately, this isn't something easily solved over the internet. There are many many variables involved.

Are you sharing the wireless network with other people?

Do you have a good wireless signal strength?

Have you tested your phone's wireless speed on other networks?

Have you tried a reboot? or resetting network settings?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The iPhone is limited by the processor so the speeds are generally slower than they are on your computer.

Also, most of those 83 views are guests that aren't registered here.

5. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Not sharing with others. It's my own wifi. Great signal strength - I'm only a few feet from it. I get 14-15 Mbps with my laptop but only 1-4 Mbps with my iPhone. I've reset the settings on the phone. I've went through everything with Linksys twice via their online chat. That took almost 2 hours each time. No luck. I haven't been able to test it on other wifi networks. It irks me because I get 3.5-4 Mbps with just 3G. This wifi should be way better! I can see maybe losing a little speed, but 10-12 Mbps is ridiculous!

I should try to find a different wifi network to connect to.

Any other ideas? This is a new replacement phone. I'm with Rogers in Ontario.

Any help is appreciated.

6. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Try restoring it. If that doesn't wok, then you have a bad wifi signal so contact your provider. Or get a new modem

7. Disorder

Disorder New Member

Can you get a friend to come over and try his/her iPhone on your wireless? That might help you. For instance if they get full speed then your phone is suspect. Then you bring your phone over to their place and check the speed.

You might have a scenario where your WiFi is not very efficient with the settings on your phone, but is good with other phones and your phone is good with other WiFi setups.

8. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

I know... so many variables. I'll have to find someone close by that can try this. I haven't been able to test it that way yet. But, It's not the modem - I'm right at 14.6 Mbps with my laptop. But, i'm just between 2 and 5Mbps with my iPhone. I used to be 11-12 Mbps. Same wifi and same modem...

I will try restoring as well.

Does the "restore network settings" affect wifi as well? I know when i've done this, i've had to re-enter the wifi password again. I could ty that again as well. It's just frustrating when my 3G speed is faster than my own wifi speed! Crazy!

9. Jdmac29

Jdmac29 New Member

I have the speedtest.net
    app and my 3G is faster than my wifi also according to it. I need to have someone else run tests on my network with their iPhone

10. Hqcariello

Hqcariello Member
    Bronze

Sometimes 3G and wifi compete.
    Test each by itself turning the other off.

11. casssax

casssax Member
    Bronze

I've had problems at work where I've had to turn off the wi-fi and go to 3G to download or get to the app store. But that's probably from a bad setup and many people accessing it.

I think I've had the same thing happen from time to time on my wi-fi at home too, even though when I run speed test I get good results.

12. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Brett, keep your post in the right thread and quite shotgunning the Forum.

13. frsv0678

frsv0678 New Member

Hey
    I have similar problems, when downloading on a 3G network my iPhone 4 has ca. 1.8mbit download speed. When downloading on wifi network the speed is max 0.8mbit..
    My old iPhone 3G has got over 4.5mbit on the same wifi network. Any Ideas? My iPhones are both running iOS 4.0.2

14. frsv0678

frsv0678 New Member

I have noe tried the iPhone 4 on other wifi networks wit sucsess, so I believe it is my Belkin N1 routet that mess up things.

15. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Interesting Test:

Desktop (Ethernet) 21.35/1.64
    Laptop (Wireless) 21.35/1.55
    iPhone 4 (Wireless N) 11.81/1.67
    iPhone 3gs (Wireless) 7.51/1.69
    iPhone 2g (Wireless) 5.39/1.83
    [iPhone 4 (3G)? 2.20/1.03]

So, one would gather that the iPhone(s) are slower; but should they be that much slower than the laptop on the same wireless router? My ISP pkg is 22/2; running a Linksys Single Band N Router.
    Did someone mention earlier that they thought their wireless connection was running faster on iOS 4.1?
    So, is this a function of hardware or software? Just some thoughts....

16. rightattitude

rightattitude New Member

This worked for me with the same bug issue on iPhone 4s 5.1 :

Settings
    WIFI
    (My Network) >
    choose Renew Lease
    When you join a network you "lease" an IP address on the network. They usually have a timeout of a day or so, where you device is assigned a number and it's what the network uses to communicate with your device. If you renew the lease, your device asked whatever is controlling the network (probably a router) to lease the IP address again for whatever set period it is set to.

17. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Interesting