My WiFi tests show WiFi is NOT on in sleep

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I did some simple tests on WiFi a few minutes ago. I heard a lot of people complaining that WiFi sucks out battery EVEN in sleep mode. While I agree that it takes power when you are using the iPhone when in wake mode using any app, I have found that WiFi is shutoff in sleep mode.

My simple test: Ping

I recorded the IP and pinged it when the phone was on. the iPhone responded

I pinged it about 5 seconds after I put it in sleep mode, it still responded.

I pinged it about a minute later and the iPhone had shutoff the WiFi.

You can even tell when waking the phone up, if you are quick, that it's on EDGE for like 3 seconds then regains it's IP address. Ping test also confirmed this. Just letting everyone know:)

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
I haven't tested it with pinging but I agree that it seems like sleep the actual wifi connection. You can see it's not on immediately when you wake it up.

What's unclear is whether it searches when sleeping. I found the automatically asking to join new wifi networks was a huge battery drain. When I turned that option off I got significant battery improvement.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I did some simple tests on WiFi a few minutes ago. I heard a lot of people complaining that WiFi sucks out battery EVEN in sleep mode. While I agree that it takes power when you are using the iPhone when in wake mode using any app, I have found that WiFi is shutoff in sleep mode.

Ping would only work if it was actually connected. If the WiFi is on and continuously searching for networks, it could still be using battery life but you wouldn't be able to ping it.

Now, I'm not saying that's the case, I don't know, just that your test is flawed.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007

I recorded the IP and pinged it when the phone was on. the iPhone responded

I pinged it about 5 seconds after I put it in sleep mode, it still responded.

I pinged it about a minute later and the iPhone had shutoff the WiFi.

You can even tell when waking the phone up, if you are quick, that it's on EDGE for like 3 seconds then regains it's IP address. Ping test also confirmed this. Just letting everyone know:)
Very informative and well-structured post.
1000th post. HOO-HAH! :D