Myspace App: My files + How to install

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I've noticed people running into problems with the iPhone Apper lately, mainly that their links aren't working, or that they're only getting a white screen. I'm going to use a Myspace Apper I made to show you how to change the Info.plist to include your own myspace address, and install it using iBrickr.

First off, I created this Apper using iPhone Apper which is available here:
http://www.jonsthoughtsoneverything.com/iPhone_apper/#install_notes

I like the site, but only really ever need to visit it once if you know what to edit, so here goes.

Editing the Info.plist to display your Myspace address
  • Download the attachment on this post, and unzip it.
  • Open Info.Plist with Wordpad or similar text editor
  • Locate the line "http://www.myspace.com/tom"
  • Change that address with your own

Uploading through iBrickr
  • Launch iBricker (http://ibrickr.com)
  • Browse to Applications
  • Create a Folder named: myspace.app
  • Browse to myspace.app folder (Applications/myspace.app/)
  • Upload the files you downloaded and edited

Set Permissions with Squid
  • If you don't have Squid Installed, use Installer.app to install it
  • If you don't have Installer.app installed, use iBrickr to install it (http://ibrickr.com)
  • Browse to Applications/myspace.app/
  • Double Tap Embark
  • Set it's permissions to 755 (It's what I use, I'm sure you can go lower)
  • Click Apply

Launch Myspace.app

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

aaa

Aug 22, 2007
Thank you for spelling it out. The permissions thing was the only part I was missing.

A couple of big issues with me though....

This program and safari act as if they are one. The whole point of doing this was to make them separate so that the icon on the home screen (like myspace) always went to the same default page no matter what....but they don't. They just go into safari and start a new window. And whats worse is that when u go into safari, the app is still in the window there. And whats even worse is that you have to go in constantly and deltete tons of windows.

Is there any way to SEPARATE this from Safari so that:

A) When u click on one of the icons u set up. You just go to that page.

B) You can add bookmarks to one of your apps but that doesn't go to the others or Safari

C) They don't overlap, so there are no constant window buildups on every custom web app u have + safari

This method implies that all of the above is possible: http://www.funambol.com/blog/capo/2007/07/how-to-create-your-browser-app-on.html

but I tried it and couldnt get it to work. That might have, however, been because I didn't set up permissions for it. I already deleted the app I created using this method, but Ill probably try and make it again and give it permissions to see if that makes it work.

But it would be hella easier if there could be a quick fix for the issues stated above. Thanks for any help. And I do like my icons and these apps whether it seems like I ndo or not. lol

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Is the embark file the same for any icon / website i want to create? Can i just copy this embark and use it to create a web icon for lets say espn.com?
Thats exactly what you need to do to make your own icon/launcher.

Make sure to also check the naming convention inside the re.plist file also.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
Thats exactly what you need to do to make your own icon/launcher.

Make sure to also check the naming convention inside the re.plist file also.

I don't even see that file! The files in the folder are default, icon, embarck and info...

i'm trying to make one for espn...i created an icon, change info to have the correct address and changed a line to
<string>com.FantasyFootball.embark</string>

i also called the folder FantasyFootball.app

is that correct?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I don't even see that file! The files in the folder are default, icon, embarck and info...

i'm trying to make one for espn...i created an icon, change info to have the correct address and changed a line to
<string>com.FantasyFootball.embark</string>

i also called the folder FantasyFootball.app

is that correct?
Looks like you're good to go.

Sorry about the typing error in my earlier post. I was on my iPhone, and I guess the spell checker snuck something in on me. I meant Info.plist, which from the looks of it, is what you've already edited.

You've caught the naming convention as well, the one which ties the app to the folder name (they both must match).

Just copy over your files, +chmod embark and you should be good to go if you haven't already tried.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY

Sorry about the typing error in my earlier post. I was on my iPhone, and I guess the spell checker snuck something in on me. I meant Info.plist, which from the looks of it, is what you've already edited.

You've caught the naming convention as well, the one which ties the app to the folder name (they both must match).

Just copy over your files, +chmod embark and you should be good to go if you haven't already tried.
i got it to work thanks, one other thing how do i delete directories?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Depends on what you're using. If you've got Mobile Finder installed, you can use that to delete anything right from your iPhone.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY

aaa

Aug 22, 2007

The latest iBrickr comes with iPhoneinterface i blieve. You can use that. Just start it up and type

rmdir /blahblahblah/blah/blah/

to get rid of a directory. you have to have the whole path and the slashes at beginning and end and in between

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
iBrickr should be able to delete folders just fine as long as they're empty.

You can also delete them right on the iPhone with Mobile Finder. Install the Installer.app from iBrickr, then use Installer.app to install Mobile Finder and the BSD Subsystem files. That latter will add the missing commands to your /bin folder that some programs need to move/delete/copy files.

I prefer gui based deletions simply because their fail safes are traditionally more idiot-proof, not that I'm an idiot, but I would be if I deleted the wrong file becaue I've got no backups :p Yah, I'm an idiot.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Good work x999x.

I've now done a couple of these, and they work fine. However, I don't understand what the red line below does.

<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>en</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>Embark</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>Embark</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.Agenda.embark</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>0.1</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>APPL</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.0.0</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>?</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>EmbarkURL</key>
<string>http://www.google.com/calendar/</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Whatever I enter in there between com. and .embark seems to make no difference to the function or display of the name of the icon.

What am I missing here and how is this line important?

In this example the folder name is Agenda.app. However, setting the red line abouve to amazon or myspace makes no difference to the function, that I can see.