Myth of force-quitting apps from multitasking tray to conserve battery charge debunked by Apple SVP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafagon, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

One Apple user by the name of Caleb wrote an e-mail to Tim Cook asking to please confirm or deny whether force-quitting apps from the multitasking tray (AKA app switcher) helps conserve battery charge.

Redmond Pie reports that “[Caleb] didn’t get the reply that he would have wanted from Apple’s enigmatic Tim Cook, but he did get one from one of Apple’s high-ranking executives, Craig Federighi.”

The site goes on to report that Federighi's answer was a “straight-to-the-point ‘No and No.’ He did append the answer with a little cheeky smiley face, and thanked Caleb ‘for being an Apple customer.’”

Below are screenshots of Caleb's inquiry and Federighi's reply (via Redmond Pie, via 9to5Mac):

email-01.jpg

email-reply.jpg

#1 Rafagon, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

@Europa has been telling us this for.... How long now? :D

3. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

The guys on The iOS Show (Ep. 290) were discussing this very topic just a few days ago. I'm finding it hard to break my habit though ...

YMMV

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I don't see myself breaking the habit anytime soon. I've never had issues with battery life, so if I'm making it worse by force quitting apps, I doubt it's hurting battery life by any appreciable amount.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I stopped force quiting all my apps over 2 years ago. It's a waste of time. I only force quit an app if it misbehaves.