Myth of force-quitting apps from multitasking tray to conserve battery charge debunked by Apple SVP

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
One Apple user by the name of Caleb wrote an e-mail to Tim Cook asking to please confirm or deny whether force-quitting apps from the multitasking tray (AKA app switcher) helps conserve battery charge.

Redmond Pie reports that “[Caleb] didn’t get the reply that he would have wanted from Apple’s enigmatic Tim Cook, but he did get one from one of Apple’s high-ranking executives, Craig Federighi.”

The site goes on to report that Federighi's answer was a “straight-to-the-point ‘No and No.’ He did append the answer with a little cheeky smiley face, and thanked Caleb ‘for being an Apple customer.’”

Below are screenshots of Caleb's inquiry and Federighi's reply (via Redmond Pie, via 9to5Mac):

email-01.jpg

email-reply.jpg

Last edited:

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
The guys on The iOS Show (Ep. 290) were discussing this very topic just a few days ago. I'm finding it hard to break my habit though ...

YMMV
I don't see myself breaking the habit anytime soon. I've never had issues with battery life, so if I'm making it worse by force quitting apps, I doubt it's hurting battery life by any appreciable amount.