MyWi Released! Turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot!

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I saw this on Rock yesterday. Was tempted to give it a try. But forgot about it after my updates were installed. Doesn't sound like a bad price for the app either ($9.99 i believe). They claim it's works better than PDAnet.

Nemeses

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
Just downloaded the trial version I will be purchasing this app for sure. I tried PDAnet and it worked well but not like an actual hotspot. If I got outta range of my router pdanet was useless. But wit mywi this wasn't a problem. I hVe a 3g using AT&T data plan and two 2gs wifi only this allows me to share my connection with my wife n son while taking road trips. Ie check email dl music surf. Mywi is great!

Nemeses

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
On your desktop go to rockmyphone.com and register then download the software and run. After that add apps you want to the basket. Then connect iPhone with USB cable and sync just like iTunes.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Thanks nemesis but I'm usually at work and they don't allow iTunes. I'll try the rock app thanks.
Rockyourphone and rock app are the exact same thing. It's just easier to install it from Cydia. You can register from within the app.

Jul 15, 2009
Rockyourphone and rock app are the exact same thing. It's just easier to install it from Cydia. You can register from within the app.
yeah. Thats what I was trying to imply. thanks.

Jmills

Sep 2, 2009
I can't register on the website or the application, is anyone else having this problem? It says couldn't connect to server on the app and the website just displays a blank page

RPMSTL

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
So far, yes. For some reason PDAnet is slow.

Nov 17, 2008
I really like pdanet. Can pdanet and MyWi be installed on the same device?

The only problem I have with pdanet is that it often does not handle 3G to Edge network changes very well. For instance, traveling by car across state. Anyone know if MyWi is more reliable?

I like to play online poker when traveling but I found it is not reliable enough for gambling. So I have to drop down to cheeseburger stakes.

Jmills

Sep 2, 2009
MyWi is WAY better than PDAnet, MUCH faster, the difference is night and day. I was using PDAnet for a while but then I sprung the $10 for MyWi and I would NEVER go back to PDAnet

Nov 17, 2008
Does MyWi work under 3.1.2? I can connect to the device's network but can not seem to get any pages to load.

Jmills

Sep 2, 2009
.97 does not work with 3.1.2 I have heard from several locations that there is a new version that DOES work with 3.1.2 but I haven't seen it anywhere, not on the RockYourPhone store or anything

RPMSTL

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
I am using MyWi on 3.12. It requires a reboot to get the computer to recognize the network connection.

MyWi and PDAnet are not compatible together.
Delete PDAnet client off computer.

Look up MyWi on Cydia.
Download latest version which will also install Rock.

For USB - have not tried Bluetooth.
Plug in phone.
Turn on Tethering options under Settings>General>Network
Reboot phone using SBsettings (if you don't have this, get it, great JB app)
Popup window on your PC should say New Network Detected or simply just connect without notice.
You are tethered.

RPMSTL

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
I have been playing with the Dev-team blog tether and the iPhone Tunnel Suite program with no success on either one. Anyone familiar with how to setup either using windows?

Some numbers from MyWi.

Baseline DSL connection (middle of the road package) 2503 kbps down / 358 up.

Baseline 3G using Safari on 3GS 3.12 847 kbps down / no up test.

USB tethered w/MyWi 939 down / 335 up

So you can see the MyWi USB connection tethers 3G properly with no decrease in speed.