MyWi safe to use now?

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by chavezr6, Oct 31, 2011.

1. chavezr6

chavezr6 Member
    Bronze

I've been jail broke before and loved the usefulness of MyWi. Been out of it for awhile and now back in the warm comfort of my jail broke iPhone 4, but reading about a way ATT can tell if i'm tethering and charging me. My question is can I still us this or is there a safer one to use like PDANet?

PS thanks to iPhonewarrior for helping make this thread possible. It was Aurora browser that ended up being the problem.

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the Cydia Apps section.

I'm not personally on AT&T, but there have been a few users on here who have reported receiving SMS messages from AT&T about tethering. I've always used MyWi on o2 (British Carrier) and never had a problem.

Did clearing your cache help? If so, I get the same problem with Chrome all the time.

3. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

4. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I've never been a fan of MyWi but I've owned PDANet for close to three years. I think right now their version is 5.3 and I use the hotspot feature to hop onto the net when my iMac WIFI connection is poor (router is far away). Anyway, it works great and one month I had 37gb (long story there!) and I never received a text. I sure hope it stays that way!

5. giddyup944

giddyup944 New Member

Has anyone been caught using pdanet? And does their hiding feature seem to work? I have been using tetherme and AT&T have recently caught me. I was a twice a month tetherer and maybe used 30-40 MB a month tethering. Can't believe they even said anything to me. But I would lie to be able to tether again but definitely do not want to pay $20 to do so. Anybodies experiences on tethering and whether or not AT&T has caught them would be appreciated. Thanks!

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

When I would be in my college dorm room with the internet as bad as it was my first year, I would use PDANet often. It worked great, no issues whatsoever. And AT&T didn't know or didn't say anything to me. All it does is you have PDANet on your laptop and you're basically creating a hot spot from your iPhone.

7. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

If you're paranoid about tethering, then just don't do it, even if you use it a little bit. I was eventually caught and brought down from an unlimited data plan to the 4GB + tethering plan, which I honestly like better because I can use 3GB+ without getting throttled.

If you want to tether, then just pay up.

8. Arkapigdiesel

Arkapigdiesel Member
    Bronze

I'll pass. $40 per month for a tethering plan with a specified GB amount is a rip off.

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I agree. Jailbreak FTW.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I had no problem tethering using PDANet. Of course, I was scared out of my mind that I'd be caught, but aren't we all just a little scared every now and then?

11. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've used them all, PdaNet was a definitely a favourite, MyWi close behind.

12. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

True, but it's not worth risking an unlimited data account or whatever. The stories that people give are mixed. Some people tether all day long with no issues, but some eventually got caught. Still better to play it safe IMO.

13. giddyup944

giddyup944 New Member

Thanks all. I might give it a few months and try pdanet

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would suggest PDANet over anything else. I used it for a good while when in college dorm.

15. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Why do you guys like PDANet better? I've never really tethered before, but did the MyWi OnDemand trial at the beach this weekend to use my Wifi iPad and it worked great. Speed on the Pad was as fast as my phone and the battery drain was minimal. Setup is simple. I'm curious what PDANet offers that makes it better?

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm not really sure of what else it offers, but for me it's probably the easiest program for tethering. No settings whatsoever. And it's totally free. Well, there is a full edition you can purchase, but I just use the free edition in Cydia and online.

17. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Last time I used PDANet, it required a client app. Can you tether an iPad with the free PDANet now?

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You're wanting to tether the iPad ? Well, I use my iPhone internet connection to use my laptop when I have no internet. I've never tried to tether the iPad or iPhone. I haven't had any issues with PDANet free version.

I did find a video online from 2011 of tethering the iPad with PDANet. As the saying goes, there is always a way. :)

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Last time I checked (and that was a while ago) you don't need the client app anymore.

20. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I'm afraid to tether lately. Some people have said they received a text or email warning them about it but I actually received a LETTER in the mail. It said if I tether again I will be taken off my unlimited plan and put on a tether plan. The funny thing is that I only tether for a total of 30 minutes probably. And that was spread out over days or weeks so I thought that was unusual. I was using TetherMe. I wonder if PDAnet would be better since it can supposedly "hide" usage. I'm tempted to try.