n00b Handbrake questions

Jan 16, 2008
NY
This was my first attempt to move a DVD to my iPhone.

I ripped the dvd to my hard drive using DVDShrink, extracting just the movie. I then ran handbrake to convert to mp4. Is that the right conversion type? I specified file size of 500M. Two passes and over an hour later, Handbrake seemed stuck in "Muxing": the CPU was pegged at 100% and Handbrake's output telling me how much Muxing was completed never got above zero. After about 10 minutes I killed it. I did have an m4p file of about 500M on the disk, but nothing could play it. (Not iTunes, MediaPlayer, Quicktime, or PowerDVD).

Anybody know what I did wrong?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Try converting again but using the default settings. I've been selecting the high-rez Ipod preset. This creates an MP4 having a screen width of 640 (for full TV viewing). Video bit rate for default is 1500 and audio bit rate is 160. You may be compressing your video file too much. What is the size of the video after you're finished with DVD Shrink?

Most of my conversions are done on my iMac, but I still convert a number of my children's movies on my Windows PC (single 3.2 Ghz CPU). A two hour movie with just a single pass takes more than 3 hours (about 2 hours on my iMac). When the PC version of Handbrake runs, you should see the command line window showing the status of the encoding. One hour for a full movie is too short.

Jan 16, 2008
NY
Try converting again but using the default settings. I've been selecting the high-rez Ipod preset. This creates an MP4 having a screen width of 640 (for full TV viewing). Video bit rate for default is 1500 and audio bit rate is 160. You may be compressing your video file too much. What is the size of the video after you're finished with DVD Shrink?

Most of my conversions are done on my iMac, but I still convert a number of my children's movies on my Windows PC (single 3.2 Ghz CPU). A two hour movie with just a single pass takes more than 3 hours (about 2 hours on my iMac). When the PC version of Handbrake runs, you should see the command line window showing the status of the encoding. One hour for a full movie is too short.
I set DVD Shrink to get the movie part to fit on a burnable DVD: ~4Gig.
I figured since the iPhone does not have that rez, I should squash it more (in Handbrake) so it would take up less space. I was trying to convert Corpse Bride; the movie is only 1h15m. But it's good to know that it is supposed to take a really long time.