name change

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
H

Hayesimus

how can they do that when modmyiPhone and everythingiPhone are shown as ONE word? kinda like they made up the word ya know? obviously it refers to the iPhone but please. Apple is childish. just how much bad PR are they wanting. i've been fine up til now. but that is just ridiculous. Time for the **** to give it a rest. They are becoming worse than Walmart!

H

Hayesimus

it really aggravates me. i mean how retarded does it look to type modmyi...F...one. with an F! I'm sorry but I usually don't make a habit of butchering the english langauge. like wuzzup or whatever. "LOL" is about as far as i go and that's just because there's no other way to write that without taking up half a text message. I know Apple didn't tell them to change their name to iFFFFFone but they sure didn't do the right thing and leave them alone. what jerks. god. i'm so flustered i am not even making sense to myself... oops. i mean myselph. i suppose i should start signing my name as Hazymus. so as not to offend my self. I might apply legal pressure or something. what a loser. i mean Loozer. can someone start a petition. if this could turn into enough bad PR for them then maybe they'd let them change it back. or issue everyone on modmyi...ick...FFFFone a fricking 100 gift certificate. which they probably wouldn't end up letting you use to by an... what is it now? iFone? iFown? iPhown? eyePhone? who knows anymore. geeze.

pjw

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
maybe it wont be such a bad idea, they might read the fourms of here and there and use some of the native apps on the sites. could be a dumb name change but in the long run they might get a clue.

H

Hayesimus

Phuck you Apple. yeah. read between those legal lines. okay. maybe that isn't appropriate... if anyone is offended then tell me and i'll edit it out. :S but still!

H

Hayesimus

haha. more fitting maybe. however appropriate? i still think that its probably crossing the Forum line somewhere. :S

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
It's not the iPhone in their name that Apple cares about. It's the Mod in their name. Chris doesn't have anything to worry about.

In fact I wonder if there's some kind of legal trouble Apple could get into if they only target websites like modmyiPhone and don't go after websites like everythingiPhone. Isn't that prejudice or something?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
chris hope you put in for the everythingifone.com dns.... Apple is becoming such a lil baby lately... SJ's need to grow up
I hope that Apple is restricting their name change forcing on to sites that include things such as Modifications and such in the name and not every site out there bearing the iPhone word in the name.
If I were to look at it from Apples point of view having a site that has a title similar to "Mod my iPhone" could be taken to mean the site is specifically geared to bypassing and altering their security where this site's name is more indicative of an information site not necessarily geared towards modifing or hacking the phones. Hope so anyway.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
this sort of thing by Apple isn't new. it's the trademark that they're concerned with. ilounge.com used to be ipodlounge.com - they were asked to change their name by Apple, and their site is focused on ipod-related reviews, news, and information, not specifically about modding. Apple can ask anyone using a name they trademarked to cease and desist. shoot, they could ask me to change the name of my site, if they wanted. i'm sure, like any businesss, they want a certain image associated with their products, and they will take action against any entity that may appear to be "official" because of the use of a trademarked name that may not be in line with the desired image. how is this wrong?

if i trade-marked my site's name, and found someone else running around using it while pushing neo-nazism, i'd damn well do something to stop them from using my site's name to avoid having that image associated with me. definitely an extreme example, but it's just to demonstrate how Apple is probably viewing this.

they probably threaten legal action if you don't comply within a certain time period. trademarking gives them the right - whether or not they're unpleasant about it is another thing. in this case, i don't see this site as portraying a negative image in any way - hopefully Apple sees it this way too and leaves us alone...

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
So what about MacRumors.com? Why isn't Apple asking them to change their name?
who says they haven't already tried, or that they won't try in the future? Apple is not required to pursue everyone who uses one of their trademarked names - they can *choose* to pursue any particular person/organization using one of their trademarked names at their discretion.

i'm guessing that Apple has had some contact with the macrumors owner, arnold kim. macrumors is pro-mac at the foundation and most likely does not portray a negative image in total to cause Apple to want to take action against them. now, if they were called macintoshcomputerssuck.com and were focused on only bashing Apple, i'm sure Apple would react differently...

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
who says they haven't already tried, or that they won't try in the future? Apple is not required to pursue everyone who uses one of their trademarked names - they can *choose* to pursue any particular person/organization using one of their trademarked names at their discretion...
That's a good point.
i'm guessing that Apple has had some contact with the macrumors owner, arnold kim. macrumors is pro-mac at the foundation and most likely does not portray a negative image in total to cause Apple to want to take action against them. now, if they were called macintoshcomputerssuck.com and were focused on only bashing Apple, i'm sure Apple would react differently...
Now are you then admitting that their purpose for making modmyiPhone change their name is because of the "mod" in their name rather than the "iPhone" in their name? Sounds like you are agreeing with me now. It's not (as you said) the trademark that they are worried about. It's that mmi encourages people to go against Apple philosophy. Trademark is the weapon that Apple is able to use against mmi, but it's not what they are worried about.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Isn't "iPhone" a trademark owned by Cisco Networks and not Apple? I thought Apple had reached some kind of agreement with Cisco to be able to "borrow" the "iPhone" name. So I'm not sure how much legal standing Apple has, regarding asking people to change their website names?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
That's a good point.
Now are you then admitting that their purpose for making modmyiPhone change their name is because of the "mod" in their name rather than the "iPhone" in their name? Sounds like you are agreeing with me now. It's not the trademark that they are worried about. It's that mmi encourages people to go against Apple philosophy. Trademark is the weapon that Apple is able to use against mmi, but it's not what they are worried about.
i'm sure the "mod" has a lot to do with it, but it's the nature of the site that's probably more of a driver behind Apple's actions. if the site was about mod"ernizing" my iPhone by using different cases and other accessories, Apple might not care that much since it's not encouraging the modification/removal of Apple's software on the iPhone. that's a bit of a silly example, but i just wanted to show that it's not the "mod" alone - it's the intent behind the site that Apple is probably responding to more... and you're right - the trademark is simply the weapon they use to combat this...

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Isn't "iPhone" a trademark owned by Cisco Networks and not Apple?
I know. Even this statement by Apple doesn't specifically say that Apple owns the trademark. It just says that they acknowledge the trademark ownership rights that have been granted, but it doesn't say who owns them.

I wonder if Cisco knows about this action against modmyiPhone and if they had any say about it.

If Cisco really does own the iPhone trademark, Apple could get into some real legal trouble about this.

Man, the iPhone is nothing but legal trouble for Apple, huh? If only Steve wouldn't have tried to be such a dictator about it, none of this stuff would have happened.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Because modmyifone is completely dedicated to the hacking of the iPhone, yeah it's not that surprising.

This site has one section in the forums, which is one part of the site, that is devoted to hacking. So unless the legal department is doing this for fun, then I doubt our name will be changed.