Name of our website

A new name would be great IMHO. No impact on current users because the old one continues to work. I think it could help to market to a totally new untapped group of users, especially with a new iPhone around the corner.

iCafeMe.com iCafeTalk.com Carry the change through the other sites as well.

K.C.

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 15, 2011
California
I am ok with it, but sounds like a pain!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think "The Official..." something or other has to be in there.

;)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
connie
I am glad I am not the only one thinking a coffee bar is also a cafe
this is actually not true
cafe - a small restaurant where drinks and snacks are sold
Internet/Cyper cafe is supose to also sell drinks and food
s0 CHRIS we want snacks
Well for me in Spanish cafe is coffee. ;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Not bad, take out the everything and leave the cafe, not bad at all.
That's a domain which for us, would be out of reach. I agree, if it were available, it's a no brainer.

My wife is not a fan of this, but it is only six characters and retains some of our branding. Closest thing I've found to iCafe.

ImageUploadedByiCafe1345383898.217830.jpg

cindra

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
North Carolina
That's a domain which for us, would be out of reach. I agree, if it were available, it's a no brainer.

My wife is not a fan of this, but it is only six characters and retains some of our branding. Closest thing I've found to iCafe.

View attachment 24373
Looks a bit like you're selling a coffeemaker, not a phone forum.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Don't read too much into this, but typing this in your browser will get you here faster. Of course, bookmarks are even faster.

icafeo.png

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
iGOiOS.com Put your logo in the Os. Short, catchy, if done in color, the words separate well. Apple doesn't seem to have a problem with iOS inclusion as evidenced by other sites that include it in their name but...
There are plenty of sites using iPhone, but it doesn't mean they are ok with it. iOS is a Cisco trademark, but so was iPhone.

That would be a good one, but too risky.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
My thoughts are this - you definitely have to weight the pros and cons. A shorter name is definitely easier for people to get to. However, having everythingicafe for years, it has become a brand to some degree. Depending on the brand sentiment (what people generally think about your site), changing it would have some impact on the brands/sites initial credibility to browser referred visitors. This means for the many who use google for iPhone, iPad, etc questions, everythingicafe is a common site which comes up for their answers. Based on their past experiences, chances are they found their answer and they will continue to click on links to everythingicafe. Changing the name could confuse that dynamic.

Conversely, if the sentiments are currently negative (which I do not think they are), it gives you a chance to re-establish (example: Comcast changing name to Xfinity). For all of this - in my small purview of things, I would suggest leaving it everythingicafe, or at least keeping everythingicafe as a redundancy for some time after the name change (both domains active).

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Asked my wife about a name that I'm considering (and own). She didn't hate it, which is a positive based on all the stuff I've mentioned to her. She also had some cool abbreviations for what people would use to refer to the site.

Nothing imminent, but I feel like I've got a worthy candidate in my possession, should I decide to go down that road of a rebrand.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
"She didn't hate it..."
That's quite an endorsement! :D
For her, it is. :D Within a few minutes, she said... "I like the way it looks. That could work."

The trouble with domains is that most are taken. Anything remotely normal sounding is gone. You're not going to find something like iCommunity being available. That's the challenge. Finding something that inherently makes sense, sounds good and is memorable.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
There's always other TLDs...but then you get people putting in .com anyway. "Your site is about a blender?" "no no, I said dot co, not dot com... dot...seee...ohhh"

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
There's always other TLDs...but then you get people putting in .com anyway. "Your site is about a blender?" "no no, I said dot co, not dot com... dot...seee...ohhh"
I went .org with everythingAndroid. Still a tough sell to this day.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
For her, it is. :D Within a few minutes, she said... "I like the way it looks. That could work."

The trouble with domains is that most are taken. Anything remotely normal sounding is gone. You're not going to find something like iCommunity being available. That's the challenge. Finding something that inherently makes sense, sounds good and is memorable.
Thought as much.
I worked in graphic design for a time, and sometimes having a client say that they did not hate it was the same as a "like". :D
Can't wait to see it.....

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thought as much.
I worked in graphic design for a time, and sometimes having a client say that they did not hate it was the same as a "like". :D
Can't wait to see it.....
At 11 o'clock last night, we were sitting in bed watching TV and she said, "So what's going on with [potential new name]."

My wife doesn't enjoy talking about my sites, phones or my businesss. I take this as a very good sign that she a. remembered the name b. showed interest. :D

I need to wrap my head around the overall strategy of a move this big. Lots of moving parts - app, social, other sites which carry the everything moniker.

On the plus side, if I make the move, expect contests here with free gear giveaways.