Napoleon's Spelling and Grammar Peeves Thread!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Feel free to post your favorite grammar and spelling peeves here. I know a lot of you folks are repressing these peeves and it'll be therapeutic to let it out!

Now, I'm not talking about the occasional misspelling or grammar goof; I'm referring to the systematic mangling of the langauge. Keep in mind that some of our fellow posters here at EiC do not count English as their primary langauge.

I'll start just by posting with my signature:

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Feel free to post your favorite grammar and spelling peeves here. I know a lot of you folks are repressing these peeves and it'll be therapeutic to let it out!

Now, I'm not talking about the occasional misspelling or grammar goof; I'm referring to the systematic mangling of the langauge. Keep in mind that some of our fellow posters here at EiC do not count English as their primary langauge.

I'll start just by posting with my signature:
Can we add other posting peeves here too?

For example:

Capitalisation Of The First Letter Of Each Word.

none use of capitals.

No punctuation even when it would make the sentence make sense i just needed to add this one my school taught me to punctuate its not necessary though since i got a fone and use text i cant spell or punctuate

OK, starting posts with 'OK'

Writing as you speak if you know what I mean like and he goes like its really not important like

Here's a great example:

xxxxxxxx said:
On April 5th. And every year i try to get together with like as many friends as possible and go do something. Well, my best friend is engaged. And SURPRISE! its on April 5th. Well, we had a pretty big falling out at the end of summer and didn't talk for like 2 months. And ever since then we just haven't been as close. Like we still talk on the phone maybe half as much as we did. but i don't ever hang out with him because i work a lot and i don't like his fiance so i never get invited to go do anything with them anymore. well so his wedding is ON my birthday apparently. so now i'm like, should i not make plans for my birthday? i mean i only take like 1 or 2 days off usually. so i probably will only be off that one day. i mean i am figuring he just completely forgot that its my birthday and so now i am reluctant to say anything like uh so... what are your plans on my birthday? cause then he'll be like when is it? and i'll be like April 5th... yeah. just don't see that having a satisfactory result. How come I'm the friend that remembers birthdays lol. cause mine always seems to be forgotten :( anyway. so... here's what i'm asking ya'll

should i make him aware that the wedding is on my birthday?
should i make plans for my birthday? and if so invite him? being that he's getting married i doubt he'd have time...
should i pretend my birthday is the following week?
lol
i swear, i hate this stupid stuff.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I hate when people don't use correct terms of a word, like saying "I hate you two".

H

Hayesimus

RIP you need to LIKE grow up. This is a forum not a term paper. Qouting someones post to be rude is, well... Rude. And I'm the one that's 12?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
your = belonging to you
you're = you are

see = to act with ones eyes, and observe ones surroundings
sea = a body of water.

more later.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
one that gets on my nerves is when people use "do" where "due" should be used.

There is a guy here at work that always uses it in the wrong context for example: "I did not go to work today do to the fact I'm lazy and worthless."

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
maybe people are typing with the iPhone and it just auto corrects some words.. and they don't notice it...

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Along those same lines^is using the word "to" instead of "too" :

"He's to lazy" instead of "He's too lazy"

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
maybe people are typing with the iPhone and it just auto corrects some words.. and they don't notice it...
i agree when typing on the iPhone it's sometimes excusable, but sometimes I proofread letters that go out of my department at work and I could really use up an entire red pen on one letter.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
"i should of gone to the doctor" instead of "i should have gone to the doctor" is my latest grammatical pet peeve. i just don't understand how people think the first version even makes any sense.

and failing to appropriately distinguish homophones (too vs. to, they're vs. their, etc.), as many previously mentioned already, is another pet peeve.

and i'm guilty of the writing with no capitals - i only do this on forums, not on my site or in my writing at work.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I know it's already been said, but my all-time BIGGEST pet-peeve is the interchangeable use of "your" and "you're".
I recently rec'd a card from a man I was interested in. He wrote "your" instead of "you're"...my interest immediately dropped a couple points. Harsh, I know, but I hate it that much!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I know it's already been said, but my all-time BIGGEST pet-peeve is the interchangeable use of "your" and "you're".
I recently rec'd a card from a man I was interested in. He wrote "your" instead of "you're"...my interest immediately dropped a couple points. Harsh, I know, but I hate it that much!
ouch I feel for the poor man. Your tough on men aren't ya Buffy?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
"i should of gone to the doctor" instead of "i should have gone to the doctor" is my latest grammatical pet peeve. i just don't understand how people think the first version even makes any sense.

and failing to appropriately distinguish homophones (too vs. to, they're vs. their, etc.), as many previously mentioned already, is another pet peeve.

and i'm guilty of the writing with no capitals - i only do this on forums, not on my site or in my writing at work.
My own son uses phrases such as "should of" and it drives me crazy. :)

However, I also realize that no one is perfect (I'm certainly not!), but...

Oh yeah -- another one! :

Using apostrophes in plurals! Ack!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
so I was wondering, how do you guys feel about the common Texan practice of using the phrase "fixin to"

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
so I was wondering, how do you guys feel about the common Texan practice of using the phrase "fixin to"
I would think that latitude (or is it longitude?) would have to be given as far as regional dialects are concerned. I'm sure that "y'all" would fall into that category.

And I agree with Hayesimus -- let's not quote others' posts here in EiC.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
ouch I feel for the poor man. Your tough on men aren't ya Buffy?
Ha, cute! And nah, I'm not too tough on the men...but I will admit that for me there's nothing sexier than an intelligent, well-spoken man. ;)

That being said, it's a good thing all the pros on here don't judge me for my ignorance related to the technicalities of the iPhone!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Ha, cute! And nah, I'm not too tough on the men...but I will admit that for me there's nothing sexier than an intelligent, well-spoken man. ;)

That being said, it's a good thing all the pros on here don't judge me for my ignorance related to the technicalities of the iPhone!
I iz very edukated and iz whale-spokan howz dat fore sexy :p

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Glad to see this kind of thread.

My pet peeve is also the improper use of apostrophes in plurals. The apostrophe preceeding the letter 's' denotes ownership, not multiplicity!

Also, the word "irregardless". That isn't a real word. The real word is "regardless". Not only is it correct, it's shorter to type.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008

Uh hum. ;)