Napoleon's Spelling and Grammar Peeves Thread!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
True, but iOS sometimes auto-corrects words to nonsensical words/bizarre combinations of letters and doesn't underline them in red to flag you like a computer does.
iOS doesn’t hold a water pistol to your head and make you accept its nonsensical words or bizarre combinations of letters. :)

And the typewriters of yore didn’t underline anything in red and people still managed to type correctly. Just saying’. ;)

You know I’m just yankin' your chain; don’t take me seriously. :cool:

Remember those white correction strips?

Or the correction ribbon:

31419.JPG

Not that I don’t make typos. @Napoleon PhoneApart has had to correct many a thread title for me. Sometimes because of a typo, and oftentimes because I keep second-guessing my chosen wording.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
iOS doesn’t hold a water pistol to your head and make you accept its nonsensical words or bizarre combinations of letters. :)

And the typewriters of yore didn’t underline anything in red and people still managed to type correctly. Just saying’. ;)

You know I’m just yankin' your chain; don’t take me seriously. :cool:

Remember those white correction strips?

Or the correction ribbon:

View attachment 44750

Not that I don’t make typos. @Napoleon PhoneApart has had to correct many a thread title for me. Sometimes because of a typo, and oftentimes because I keep second-guessing my chosen wording.
Just pointing out two valid reasons why it's easier to make typos on iOS when comparing with computers.

Yeah, I do remember that tape. I used a typewriter in high school to write my Health Occupations reports. Oh, man. Thanks for making me feel old!

I correct your thread titles a lot, too. I just fixed one a few minutes ago. :p

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I know a very popular tech site that allows users to edit their own thread titles:

editable.png

I don’t quite understand what the harm is in allowing us to change our own thread titles. It would free up the moderators for more important tasks, like banning Chinese spam posters.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I know a very popular tech site that allows users to edit their own thread titles:

View attachment 44761

I don’t quite understand what the harm is in allowing us to change our own thread titles. It would free up the moderators for more important tasks, like banning Chinese spam posters.
I don't think there are any bigger than Reddit and they don't allow users to edit thread titles, either.

It isn't allowed because it could be used for spam or trolling once a thread becomes popular.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

View attachment 44761

Why Chinese? A lot of our spammers reside in other countries as well.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
If we don't hear from @Napoleon PhoneApart for a little while, I think he may have had a break down after seeing what I posted. Hahahahaa.
Funny how someone instantly pops into your mind when you see certain things.
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1475326535.109646.jpg

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL

View attachment 44761

Naps wouldn't have much to do here if you edited your own thread titles.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
If we don't hear from @Napoleon PhoneApart for a little while, I think he may have had a break down after seeing what I posted. Hahahahaa.
Funny how someone instantly pops into your mind when you see certain things.
View attachment 44796
I've seen several things like this on reddit in the last couple of years. It won't bother me at all. I'm subscribed to r/GrammarNazi.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I don't think you used that correctly; I could be wrong, but I think both parts should be complete sentences.
Confused.

You mean that instead of a semicolon, I should’ve used a period after “me" and I should’ve made “Thanks” a stand-alone sentence?

...Like this?

That was a new one for me. Thanks.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Confused.

You mean that instead of a semicolon, I should’ve used a period after “me" and I should’ve made “Thanks” a stand-alone sentence?

...Like this?

That was a new one for me. Thanks.
It was a joke.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Please tell me that the apostrophe you used to pluralize the word “thing” was you being sarcastic—am I right? :)
Yes, it was sarcasm, as was the double negative in the preceding phrase "don't phase me none." :)