Napster: Less expensive option to purchase MP3's?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I was in Best Buy a few weeks ago and was looking for iTunes Gift Cards. One of the reps started chatting up Napster. They were saying it's cheaper than iTunes, Amazon, etc. If you buy the cards, they are song based, so it doesn't matter if they are $1.29 or $0.99.

I've never used Napster and honestly didn't even knew they sold music. Anyone use this service? If so, how is the quality and selection?

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I used to use Napster years ago when it was "Naughty" but never used it since it went legit

Used to be good back in the day

You can use it now for a 7 day trial then after that it is

£9.95 per month and you can download as many songs as you want

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
From what I understand of their businesss model, however, you don't own those mp3s. You're basically renting them for as long as you're a Napster subscriber. I don't know how that works with DRM and the iPod, however.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
eMusic FTW... they offer the following monthly subscription rates:

Plan Name..................# of Tracks......Sub Fee........Per Track
eMusic Basic -------------24----------$11.99---------.50
eMusic Plus --------------35----------$15.89---------.45
eMusic Premium --------50----------$20.79---------.42
eMusic Connoisseur-----75----------$30.99---------.41

When you sign up they'll give you X amount of tracks free. If you receive an invitation from a member (PM me if you'd like an invite) I believe you get 50 bonus tracks. Best of all the music is yours to keep if you ever decided to cancel your membership.

One drawback (for some) is it's mainly Indie Music although they've added a number of new labels and genres over the years.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Nothing ever has or will compare to Napster '99-'01. Those were the days... Damn Lars.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
+1
When I run out of my monthly downloads at eMusic I run over to Amazon. It's definitely my second choice for digital music. I've purchased some great music and discovered numerous new bands via their 50 albums for $5 each deals.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
gomusic.ru is the best, legal and cheap.
That site rocks. I've been trying to buy a song off of a soundtrack for many months now, but everywhere else only sells the album as a whole.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
That site rocks. I've been trying to buy a song off of a soundtrack for many months now, but everywhere else only sells the album as a whole.
I can't speak highly enough of this site. gomusic.ru (also gomusicnow.com), has 99% of everything I have ever searched for there. It is 9 cents a song. It is legal, although I don't think it helps the artist much. And it is MP3 so no DRM, and you get to keep the music forever. You can also go to any computer and redownload any songs you have bought from their site.

The ONLY gripe I have about it it adding money. The minimum is $30, which will last for years at 9 cents a song. And it is a serious pain, you have to use some polish bank transfer website, or call a 1-900 number. But once the money is there, you are home free.

The also keep lowering their prices and refunding all the money you already paid. For example, tracks used to be 15 cents. When they lowered them to 9, they refunded me all of the money I had spent past 9 cents, so I got a 6 cents refund per song. I was shocked that they would do that when no one would have ever complained had they not.

Also the site seems stable, I've been using it for years and years and it's always been working. Amazon and iTunes, while convenient, are rip offs compared to this.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
wildonrio, I wonder if it's really legit. If you have to send the money out of the country, it's based outside the US. I remember going into music stores in Thailand that had nothing but pirated music. They also had street vendors that sold pirated movies.

I'm also curious about the bitrate.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
They decide the bitrate of each song, but I have never seen below 192. Usually higher at 256 or 320.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
9 cents a song + outside the USA = it's not really "legit."

Sorry, but if you're worried about supporting artists, just don't fool yourself.